Barnard "Bernie" Sanders (born 8 September 1941) is an American politician and the current United States Senator from Vermont. The "Bernie Sanders presidential campaign, 2016" began with his formal announcement on April 30, 2015.
- In Vermont, at a state beach, a mother is reprimanded by Authority for allowing her 6 month old daughter to go about without her diapers on. Now, if children go around naked, they are liable to see each others sexual organs, and maybe even touch them. Terrible thing! If we [raise] children up like this it will probably ruin the whole pornography business, not to mention the large segment of the general economy which makes its money by playing on peoples sexual frustrations.
- 1969 essay in the Freeman — as quoted in "You Might Very Well Be the Cause of Cancer": Read Bernie Sanders' 1970s-Era Essays, by Tim Murphy, Mother Jones (6 July 2015)
- The revolution comes when two strangers smile at each other, when a father refuses to send his child to school because schools destroy children, when a commune is started and people begin to trust each other, when a young man refuses to go to war and when a girl pushes aside all that her mother has 'taught' her and accepts her boyfriends (sic) love.
- "The Revolution Is Life Versus Death", in Vermont Freeman (1969), as quoted in "The origins of Sanders' ideology, in his own words" by Brianna Keilar, CNN (29 February 2016)
- A man goes home and masturbates his typical fantasy. A woman on her knees, a woman tied up, a woman abused.
A woman enjoys intercourse with her man — as she fantasizes being raped by three men simultaneously.
The man and woman get dressed up on Sunday — and go to Church or maybe their "revolutionary" political meeting.
Have you ever looked at the Stag, Man, Hero, Tough magazines on the shelf of your local bookstore? Do you know why the newspapers with the articles like "Girl 12 raped by 14 men" sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?
Women, for their own preservation, are trying to pull themselves together. And it is necessary for all of us that they do so.
- "Man – and Woman" in Vermont Freeman (Mid-February 1972); partially quoted, out of context in "Bernie Sanders: Woman 'fantasizes being raped'" by Ariel Cohen, Washington Examiner (28 May 2015)
- There are no "human" oppressors. Oppressors have lost their humanity. On one hand "slavishness," on the other hand "pigness." Six of one, half dozen of the other. Who wins?
Many women seem to be walking a tightrope now. Their qualities of love, openness, and gentleness were too deeply enmeshed with qualities of dependency, subservience, and masochism. How do you love — without being subservient? How do you maintain a relationship without giving up your identity and without getting strung out? How do you reach out and give your heart to your lover, but maintain the soul which is you?
- "Man – and Woman" in Vermont Freeman (Mid-February 1972)
- It's funny, sometimes American journalists talk about how bad a country is, that people are lining up for food. That is a good thing! In other countries people don't line up for food: the rich get the food and the poor starve to death.
- As quoted in "When Bernie Sanders Thought Castro and the Sandinistas Could Teach America a Lesson" by Michael Moynihan, The Daily Beast (28 February 2016)
- If you are serious about real healthcare reform, the only way to go is single-payer.
- It looks like the South Bronx is prepared to tell the billionaire class they cannot have it all. It looks like the South Bronx wants to create an economy that works for all of us, not just the 1%. What this campaign is about is creating a political revolution. All over this country I am seeing millions of people standing up, fighting back, saying, “enough is enough.”
- Bernie Sanders, Speaking on a box in South Bronx, act.tv
- Want to get on the front page of the paper? I have to make some vicious attack. I won't do that. I’m running an issue-oriented campaign.
- Democratic debate (17 January 2016)
- Enough is enough! [...] How many homes can you own?
- The bottom line is when Senator Inhofe says global warming is a hoax, he is just dead wrong, according to the vast majority of climate scientists.
- Regarding Global warming, Gerken, James (July 31, 2012). "Senator Bernie Sanders: Climate Change Is Real, Senator Inhofe Is 'Dead Wrong'". The Huffington Post. Retrieved on October 16, 2013.
- The real issue here, if you look at the Koch Brothers' agenda, is: look at what many of the extreme right-wing people believe. Obamacare is just the tip of the iceberg. These people want to abolish the concept of the minimum wage, they want to privatize the Veteran's Administration, they want to privatize Social Security, end Medicare as we know it, massive cuts in Medicaid, wipe out the EPA, you don’t have an Environmental Protection Agency anymore, Department of Energy gone, Department of Education gone. That is the agenda. And many people don’t understand that the Koch Brothers have poured hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars into the tea party and two other kinds of ancillary organizations to push this agenda.
- Regarding the United States federal government shutdown of 2013, Sanders, Bernie (October 7, 2013). MSNBC News Interview (October 7, 2013) (06:41). YouTube. Retrieved on October 12, 2013.
- Staff (October 8, 2013). "Bernie Sanders Says Koch Brothers Shut Down Government Via Citizens United". The Inquisitr. Retrieved on October 12, 2013.
- I find it remarkable that Saudi Arabia, which borders Iraq and is controlled by a multi-billion dollar family, is demanding that U.S. combat troops have ‘boots on the ground’ against ISIS. Where are the Saudi troops? With the third largest military budget in the world and an army far larger than ISIS, the Saudi government must accept its full responsibility for stability in their own region of the world. Ultimately, this is a profound struggle for the soul of Islam, and the anti-ISIS Muslim nations must lead that fight. While the United States and other western nations should be supportive, the Muslim nations must lead.
- Piccoli, Sean (March 6, 2015). "Sen. Bernie Sanders Rips Saudis for Demanding US Troops Fight ISIS". NewsMax. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- Diamond, Jeremy (March 6, 2015). "Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I'll be damned' if Americans lead ISIS fight". CNN News. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- Sanders, Bernie (March 6, 2015). "Sanders Calls Saudi Demand for U.S. Ground Troops ‘Offensive’". US Senate. Retrieved on March 17, 2015.
- What we have seen is that while the average person is working longer hours for lower wages, we have seen a huge increase in income and wealth inequality, which is now reaching obscene levels. This is a rigged economy, which works for the rich and the powerful, and is not working for ordinary Americans … You know, this country just does not belong to a handful of billionaires.
- Staff (April 29, 2015). "Bernie Sanders confirms presidential run and damns America's inequities". the Guardian. Retrieved on May 2, 2015.
- No single financial institution should have holdings so extensive that its failure could send the world economy into another financial crisis ... If an institution is too big to fail, it is too big to exist.
- Huntley, Steve (May 1, 2015). "Steve Huntley: Sanders the socialist sure gets it right on big banks". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved on May 2, 2015.
- "We have a president right now who doesn't consider himself a socialist but people call him a socialist as an insult. Are you concerned at all about framing yourself as this?" ...
- "Not if we have the opportunity to describe what democratic socialism means. ... You have countries like Denmark, Sweden, Norway ... which have had social democratic governments. ... In those countries, healthcare is a right for all people. ... Tuition is free. ... In those countries, governments are working for the middle class, rather than the billionaire class."
- Are we happy that 99% of all new income is going to the top 1%? Are we happy that one family in this country owns more than the bottom 130 million people?
- Late Night with Seth Meyers, (2 June 2015)
- Warren Buffett, one of the richest guys in the world, openly admits that his effective tax rate is lower than his secretary's. It's time to tell the billionaire class that if they want to enjoy the benefits of America, they have to accept their responsibilities, and they have to start paying their fair share of taxes.
- Late Night with Seth Meyers, (2 June 2015)
- In the last thirty years, there has been a massive redistribution of wealth. Unfortunately, it's gone in the wrong direction. ... All that money that has gone from the middle class to the top 1%, I think it should start coming back to the people who need it the most.
- Late Night with Seth Meyers, (2 June 2015)
- There are millions and millions of people who are tired of establishment politics, who are tired of corporate greed, who want a candidate that will help lead a mass movement in this country. ... What people are saying is, "Enough is enough. The billionaire class cannot have it all."
- In my view, and we've introduced legislation to deal with this, if a bank is too big to fail, it is too big to exist.
- 2016 Presidential Campaign Rally in Madison, Wisconsin, (1 July 2015) at 43:00
- A nation that in many ways was created—I'm sorry to have to say this, from way back—on racist principles, that's a fact, we have come a long way as a nation.
- Absolutely, in fact, climate change is directly related to the growth of terrorism.
- What happens in Syria, for example, there's some thought about this. When you have drought, when people can't grow their crops, they're going to migrate into cities and when people migrate into cities and when they don't have jobs, there's going to be a lot more instability, a lot more unemployment and people will be subject to the types of propaganda that Al Qaeda and ISIS are using right now and so where you have discontent you have instability, that's where problems arise and certainly without a doubt, a climate change will lead to that.
- "Bernie Sanders doubles down on link between climate change and terrorism", CBS News (15 November 2015), when asked how drought connect with ISIS attacks in Paris.
- When you look around the world, you see every other major country providing health care to all people as a right, except the United States. You see every other major country saying to moms that, when you have a baby, we’re not gonna separate you from your newborn baby, because we are going to have — we are gonna have medical and family paid leave, like every other country on Earth. Those are some of the principles that I believe in, and I think we should look to countries like Denmark, like Sweden and Norway, and learn from what they have accomplished for their working people.
- As quoted in Fortune (February 17, 2016), "Bernie Sanders Was Right: Denmark Is the Best Nation for Working People"
- America's first black president cannot and will not be succeeded by a hatemonger who refuses to condemn the KKK.
- When you're white you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto, you don't know what it's like to be poor.
- "Sanders: If You're White You Don't Know What It's Like To Be Poor" by Alex Pfeiffer, The Daily Caller (6 March 2016)
- Anybody help me out here, because I don't remember the figures, but my recollection is over 10,000 innocent people were killed in Gaza. Does that sound right? I don't have it in my number... but I think it's over 10,000. My understanding is that a whole lot of apartment houses were leveled. Hospitals, I think, were bombed. So yeah, I do believe and I don't think I'm alone in believing that Israel's force was more indiscriminate than it should have been.
- As quoted in "Massively inflating toll, Sanders suggests Israel killed ‘over 10,000 innocents’ in Gaza" by Eric Cortellessa, The Times of Israel (5 April 2016)
- "Sanders' estimate far exceeds even Palestinian sources, which estimate that 1,462 Palestinians were killed out of the 2,251 Gaza War fatalities in 2014. Israeli figures are lower." Ariel Cohen, "Sanders: Israel 'indiscriminately' killed '10,000' Palestinians" Washington Examiner (5 April 2016)
- We are living in a world where greed has become for the wealthiest people their own religion, and they make no apologies for it.
- The people in every state in this country should have the right to determine who they want as president and what the agenda of the Democratic Party should be. That’s why we are in this race until the last vote is cast. That is why this campaign is going to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia with as many delegates as possible to fight for a progressive party platform that calls for a $15 an hour minimum wage, an end to our disastrous trade policies, a Medicare-for-all health care system, breaking up Wall Street financial institutions, ending fracking in our country, making public colleges and universities tuition free and passing a carbon tax so we can effectively address the planetary crisis of climate change.
- Statement released April 27, 2016
Quotes about Sanders
- I have been a conservative Republican my entire life. But the Republican Party as a whole has gotten so far out of touch with the American people. I switched my registration so that I could vote for Sanders in the primary, but the day the primary is over I'm going to register as an independent.
- Bryan Brown, as quoted in "The Lifelong Republicans Who Love Bernie Sanders: Some conservatives are defying expectation and backing the Vermont senator" (November 2015), by Clare Foran, The Atlantic
- Bernie Sanders is a pretty interesting phenomenon. He's a decent, honest person. That's pretty unusual in the political system.
- Sanders ... has mobilized a large number of young people, these young people who are saying, "Look, we're not going to consent anymore." And if that turns into a continuing, organized, mobilized force, that could change the country.
- If Bernie Sanders wins he'll be the first socialist elected president since 2008.
- Markets are unsettled because of geopolitical risks, the slowdown in China, and because Bernie Sanders has become a viable candidate.
- I hope Bernie Sanders is the destruction of the Democratic Party. It's time to break up the two party dictatorship.
- Jesse Ventura on CNN with Don Lemon, as quoted in Chris Enloe (7 October 2015), "Jesse Ventura Wants to Destroy the Political Establishment and He's Named Two Guys to Do It", IJ Review