Antisemitism is discrimination, hostility, or prejudice directed towards Jewish people.
- The Europeans are all deeply tainted with prejudices, both ecclesiastical and temporal, which they can never get rid of. They are all infected with episcopal and presbyterian creeds, and confessions of faith. They all believe that great Principle which has produced this boundless universe, Newton’s universe and Herschell's universe, came down to this little ball, to be spit upon by Jews. And until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there never will be any liberal science in the world.
- The Jews' political ignorance, which fitted them so well for their special role and for taking root in the state's sphere of business, and their prejudices against the people and in favor of authority, which blinded them to the political dangers of antisemitism, caused them to be oversensitive toward all forms of social discrimination. It was difficult to see the decisive difference between political argument and mere antipathy when the two developed side by side. The point, however, is that they grew out of exactly opposite aspects of emancipation: political antisemitism developed because the Jews were a separate body, while social discrimination arose because of the growing equality of Jews with all other groups.
- Hannah Arendt, Antisemitism, Chapter 4, "The Jews and Society."
- Der Antisemitismus ist der Sozialismus der dummen Kerle.
- I know you hesitate to appoint the man I recommended because he is a Jew. Who do you think you are, Harvard?
- Harvard Professor G. D. Birkhoff from "A Century of mathematics in America", Volume 1, By Peter L. Duren, Richard Askey, Uta C. Merzbach pg 235.
- Their [the Jews] rotten and unbending stiffneckedness deserves that they be oppressed unendingly and without measure or end and that they die in their misery without the pity of anyone.
- John Calvin A Response To Questions and Objections of a Certain Jew (Ad quaestiones et objecta Judaei cuiusdam responsio)
- "Dozens of Judensaus... intersect with the portrayal of the Jew as a Christ killer. Various illustrations of the murder of Simon of Trent blended images of Judensau, the devil, the murder of little Simon himself, and the Crucifixion. In the seventeenth-century engraving from Frankfurt … a well-dressed, very contemporary-looking Jew has mounted the sow backward and holds her tail, while a second Jew sucks at her milk and a third eats her feces. The horned devil, himself wearing a Jewish badge, looks on and the butchered Simon, splayed as if on a cross, appears on a panel above."
- Jeremy Cohen (2007) quoted in Christ Killers: The Jews and the Passion from the Bible to the Big Screen, Oxford University Press, p. 208, ISBN 01951784161
- The discourse in the Muslim world about Jews is utterly shocking. Not only is there Holocaust denial—there’s Holocaust denial that then asserts that we will do it for real if given the chance. The only thing more obnoxious than denying the Holocaust is to say that it should have happened; it didn’t happen, but if we get the chance, we will accomplish it. There are children’s shows in the Palestinian territories and elsewhere that teach five-year-olds about the glories of martyrdom and about the necessity of killing Jews.
- In Western Europe, anti-Semitism directed against Arabs has largely replaced anti-Semitism against Jews.
- Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations (1996), Simon and Schuster, 2007, p. 200.
- If we are socialists, then we must definitely be anti-semites - and the opposite, in that case, is Materialism and Mammonism, which we seek to oppose… How, as a socialist, can you not be an anti-semite?"
- Quote by Hitler in Hitler, Sämtliche Aufzeichnungen 1905-1924, Eberhard Jäckel, Axel Kuhn, edit., Stuttgart: Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, (1980), pp. 200-1.
- Every Muslim, from the moment they realize the distinction in their hearts, hates Americans, hates Jews, and hates Christians. For as long as I can remember, I have felt tormented and at war, and have felt hatred and animosity for Americans.
- Osama bin Laden, as quoted in Messages to the World: The Statements of Osama bin Laden (2005) by Bruce Lawrence.
- When we speak of the Jews, we mean the Jewish spirit – the spirit of profit, of lucre, of gain, of speculation; in a word, the banker’s spirit.
- Quote from Pierre Leroux, who coined the term “Socialism,” in Ideology and the Ideologist by Lewis S. Feuer (2010) p. 141. In Leroux’s Essay: “Les Juifs, Rois de Vepoque,” 1833.
- Luther describes Jews as a "base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth."Luther wrote that they are "full of the devil's feces … which they wallow in like swine,"and the synagogue is an "incorrigible whore and an evil slut".In the first ten sections of the treatise, Luther expounds, at considerable length, upon his views concerning Jews and Judaism and how these compare against Christians and Christianity. Following this exposition, Section XI of the treatise advises Christians to carry out seven remedial actions. These are - for Jewish synagogues and schools to be burned to the ground, and the remnants buried out of sight; for houses owned by Jews to be likewise razed, and the owners made to live in agricultural outbuildings; for their religious writings to be taken away; for rabbis to be forbidden to preach, and to be executed if they do; for safe conduct on the roads to be abolished for Jews; for usury to be prohibited, and for all silver and gold to be removed and "put aside for safekeeping"; and for the Jewish population to be put to work as agricultural slave laborers.
- But the Jews are so hardened that they listen to nothing; though overcome by testimonies they yield not an inch. It is a pernicious race, oppressing all men by their usury and rapine. If they give a prince or magistrate a thousand florins, they extort twenty thousand from the subjects in payment. We must ever keep on guard against them.
- Martin Luther Table Talk (1569) 863.
- Formerly an anti-Semite was somebody who hated Jews because they were Jews and had a Jewish soul. But nowadays an anti-Semite is somebody who is hated by Jews.
- Anti-Semitism is a Socialist movement, only nobler and purer in form than Social Democracy.”
- Quoted from Wilhem Mar in The Rise of Political Anti-Semitism in Germany and Austria by Peter Pulzer, revised edition, Harvard University Press (1988) p. 45.
- On any given day one can find some eminent European – a university professor, high-ranking churchman, a parliamentarian – gravely explaining to reporters that harsh and disproportionate criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic. And their protestations sound plausible. After all, this is not your grandfather’s anti-Semitism.…At least that is what I assumed until someone did the study. Two Connecticut professors got curious about the constant denials that extremely harsh critics of Israel were anti-Semitic. Edward H. Kaplan, the William N. and Marie A. Beach Professor of Management Sciences at Yale, and Charles A. Small, Director of Urban Studies, w:Southern Connecticut State University, decided to examine the issue in formal way.…Kaplan and Small ask whether individuals expressing strong anti-Israel sentiments, such as the statement by Ted Honderich, Emeritus Grote Professor of the Philosophy of Mind and Logic at University College London, that “those Palestinians who have resorted to necessary killing have been right to try to free their people, and those who have killed themselves in the cause of their people have indeed sanctified themselves,” are more likely than the general population to also support in such old-style anti-Semitic slurs as “Jews have too much power in our country today.” The correlation was almost perfect. In a survey of 5,000 Europeans in ten countries, people who believed that the Israeli soldiers “intentionally target Palestinian civilians,” and that “Palestinian suicide bombers who target Israeli civilians” are justified, also believed that “Jews don’t care what happens to anyone but their own kind,” “Jews have a lot of irritating faults,” and “Jews are more willing than others to use shady practices to get what they want.” The study’s other interesting finding was that only a small fraction of Europeans believe any of these things. Anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism flourish among the few, but those few are over-represented in Europe’s newspapers, its universities, and its left-wing political parties.
- Diana Muir, Anti-Semitism and Anti-Zionism: The Link, History News Network. George Mason University. Retrieved on 2007-02-26.
- The Jew is the enemy of the human race. This race must be sent back to Asia, or exterminated. By steel or by fire or by expulsion the Jew must disappear.
- Quote from Pierre-Joseph Proudhon in “Carnets de P.J. Proudhon, Paris, M. Rivière, 1960”, translated by Mitchell Abido, (Carnets, vol. 2, p. 337: No VI, 178. Written in 1847).
- What the Jews need is a nice, big war.
- Anti-Semitism is a kind of social mark of Cain that indicates a society or culture that is not ready for prime time and which will fail the tests of modern life; when anti-Semitism gains a foothold, the canary in your coal mine has just keeled over and died.
- Walter Russell Mead, Why AIPAC Is Good For The Jews — and For Everyone Else, The American Interest, April 5th, 2010.
- Die Deutschen werden den Juden Auschwitz nie verzeihen.
- It would be futile to deny that the Nazis built a vast mass of evil on a vast mass of prejudice. It would be equally futile to deny that strong prejudices against the Jews existed among Christians during the centuries before the Shoah. Since, moreover, the childhood of the European nations was passed under the tutelage of the clergy, we should not be surprised that these prejudices were, in part, ecclesiastically inculcated... The Holocaust was the product not of Christendom, but of Christendom's collapse. The destruction of Christendom effected (1) the rejection of Catholic natural law and (2) the rise of the absolute nation-state, previously impossible because popes could depose and counterbalance kings. Hitler, to be sure, contributed a neo-paganism and anti-Semitism all his own. But in mobilizing opinion and wielding power, he was helped more by these two innovations than by any Catholic doctrines.
- Jews in Medina are singled out as "men whose malice and enmity was aimed at the Apostle of God". The Yahūd in this literature appear not only as malicious, but also deceitful, cowardly and totally lacking resolve. However, they have none of the demonic qualities attributed to them in mediaeval Christian literature, neither is there anything comparable to the overwhelming preoccupation with Jews and Judaism (except perhaps in the narratives on Muhammad’s encounters with Medinan Jewry) in Muslim traditional literature. Except for a few notable exceptions... the Jews in the Sira and the Maghazi are even heroic villains. Their ignominy stands in marked contrast to Muslim heroism, and in general, conforms to the Qura'nic image of "wretchedness and baseness stamped upon them."
- Norman Stillman in Encyclopedia of Islam, "Yahud"
- [I] could not find a single word on behalf of Jews in the whole of French socialist literature from 1820 to 1920.
- Quote from historian Zosa Szajkowksi in Dennis Prager and Joseph Telushkin, book, Why the Jew?: The Reason for Antisemitism, New York: NY, Touchstone (2003) p. 128.
- As I always say, the “oldest hatred” didn’t get that way without an ability to adapt.
- If the Jews are denied the right to live in freedom and peace, soon we will all be denied this right.
- Geert Wilders, speech delivered in Tel Aviv in December of 2010, quoted in The Blaze: "‘Marked for Death’: Beck Interviews Anti-Islamist Dutch MP Geert Wilders" (2 May 2012).