Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Tanakh (Hebrew: תַּנַ"ךְ) or Mikra or Hebrew Bible is the canonical collection of Jewish texts, which is also a textual source for the Christian Old Testament.
- 1 Torah ~ Law
- 2 Nevi'im ~ Prophets
- 3 Ketuvim ~ Writings
- 4 Nevi'im ~ Latter Prophets
- 5 Quotes about the Tanakh
- 6 External links
- You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
- Thou shalt take no gift: for the gift blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous.
- Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
- The stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
- You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.
- 1 Chronicles 29:11-13 KJV
- When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul, discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee.
- Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.
- Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
- Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than a house full of feasting with strife.
- Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth.
- A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth.
- Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
- Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
- When you spread out your hands in prayer,
- I hide my eyes from you;
- even when you offer many prayers,
- I am not listening.
- Your hands are full of blood!
- Wash and make yourselves clean.
- Take your evil deeds out of my sight;
- stop doing wrong.
- Learn to do right; seek justice.
- Defend the oppressed.
- Take up the cause of the fatherless;
- plead the case of the widow.
- They cling to deceit;
- they refuse to return.
- I have listened attentively,
- but they do not say what is right.
- None of them repent of their wickedness,
- saying, “What have I done?”
- Each pursues their own course
- like a horse charging into battle.
Quotes about the Tanakh
- In the Old Testament stories, … the sublime influence of God here reaches so deeply into the everyday that the two realms of the sublime and the everyday are not only actually unseparated but basically inseparable.
- Erich Auerbach, Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature (1946), p. 22
- Whenever it is a question of the eternal truths of reason, it does not say believe, but understand and know.
- Moses Mendelssohn, Jerusalem, or on Religious Power and Judaism (1783), as translated by Allan Arkush (1983), p. 100