Wall Street is a 0.7 miles (1.1 km), eight-block-long, street running west to east from Broadway to South Street on the East River in Lower Manhattan in the financial district of New York City. Over time, the term has become a metonym for the financial markets of the United States as a whole, the American financial sector (even if financial firms are not physically located there), or signifying New York-based financial interests
- Journalism was being whittled away by a Wall Street theory that profits can be maximized by minimizing the product.
- Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.
- Hating Wall Street is an American tradition that dates back even to the days when Thomas Jefferson cursed that money lover Alexander Hamilton. And for centuries, the complaints about it have largely stayed the same: 'It does nothing! It creates chaos! It's a parasite that sucks hardworking Americans dry!'
- No man can control Wall Street. Wall Street is like the ocean. No man can govern it. It is too vast. Wall Street is full of eddies and currents. The thing to do is to watch them, to exercise a little common sense, and … to come out on top.
- Jay Gould Interview with the New York Herald
- I have the disadvantage of not being sociable. Wall Street men are fond of company and sport. A man makes one hundred thousand dollars there and immediately buys a yacht, begins to race fast horses, and becomes a sport generally. My tastes lie in a different direction. When business hours are over I go home and spend the remainder of the day with my wife, my children, and books of my library. Every man has natural inclinations of his own. Mine are domestic. They are not calculated to make me particularly popular in Wall Street, and I cannot help that.
- Jay Gould Also quoted in The Life and Legend of Jay Gould (1986) by Maury Klein
- Wall Street is where prophets tell us what will happen and profits tell us what did happen.
- Greg Heberlein (September 28, 1986) "'Doctor' Lefevre Seeks Cure For Hospitalized Bull Market", The Seattle Times, p. C2.
- Watch the walls come down, whether it's in the South or on Wall Street. When the walls come down, what do we find? More markets, more talent, more capital and growth. Which means that the race and sex discrimination stunt economic growth. It's not good for capitalism. It's not good for America's growth. And it's not morally right.
- Panic in Wall Street, brokers feeling melancholy. Good times coming. Good times have come. Listening to the strains of genuine negro ragtime, brokers forget their cares.
- The essential is the object. Error consists in forgetting that grain, cotton, wool are vital objects and in being interested in them only because of their value in gold, their speculative value. The economic purpose is not ‘to make millionaires out of gasoline’ but to distribute gasoline according to demand and need. Wall street is an abstraction.
- Fernand Léger, exhibition catalogue, John Becker Gallery, New York, March 1933
- Wall Street is populated by a bunch of people whose primary goal is to make money, and the rules are pretty much caveat emptor.
- Steven Levitt, in David Futrelle CNN Money: Interview with Steven Levitt of Freakonomics, CNN, 18 June 2010
- Wall Street, the banks, and corporate America, has been able to call the shots here. They control our members of Congress and they get what they want.
- You know, I think many people have the mistaken impression that Congress regulates Wall Street. In truth that's not the case. The real truth is that Wall Street regulates the Congress.
- Let us wage a moral and political war against the billionaires and corporate leaders, on Wall Street and elsewhere, whose policies and greed are destroying the middle class of America.
- Mutual funds are an overrated investment heavily promoted by Wall Street.
- Peter Schiff (2006) Crash Proof
- The fall of Wall Street is for market fundamentalism what the fall of the Berlin Wall was for communism.
- New York City
- Occupy Wall Street
- Stock market
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013 film)
- Wall Street (film)
- Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps