Scott Joplin (c. 1867/1868? – April 1, 1917) was an African-American composer and pianist. Joplin achieved fame for his ragtime compositions, and was later titled The King of Ragtime. During his brief career, he wrote 44 original ragtime pieces, one ragtime ballet, and two operas.
School of Ragtime (1908)
- What is scurrilously called ragtime is an invention that is here to stay. That is now conceded by all classes of musicians.
- Never play ragtime fast at any time.
Wall Street Rag (1909)
- Panic in Wall Street, brokers feeling melancholy.
- Good times coming. Good times have come.
- Listening to the strains of genuine negro ragtime, brokers forget their cares.