Jump to navigation Jump to search
- ternura, la palabra pequeña, familiar/que cabía en mi boca.
- tenderness, the small familiar word/that fits exactly in my mouth.
- The selected poems of Rosario Castellanos (1989)
- Gentleness, as opposed to an irascible temper, greatly contributes to the tranquility and happiness of life, by preserving the mind from perturbation, and arming it against the assaults of calumny and malice.
- Epicurus, as quoted in Ancient and Modern Celebrated Freethinkers (Half-Hours with the Freethinkers) by Charles Bradlaugh, A. Collins, and J. Watts (1877)
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 311.
- Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re.
- Gentle in manner, firm in reality.
- Claudio Acquaviva, Industriæ ad Curandos Animæ Morbos.
- He is gentil that doth gentil dedis.
- Geoffrey Chaucer, Canterbury Tales, The Wyf of Bathes Tale, line 6,695.
- Peragit tranquilla potestas
Quod violenta nequit; mandataque fortius urget
- Power can do by gentleness that which violence fails to accomplish; and calmness best enforces the imperial mandate.
- Claudianus, De Consulatu Mallii Theodori Panegyris, CCXXXIX.
- La violence est juste où la douceur est vaine.
- Severity is allowable where gentleness has no effect.
- Pierre Corneille, Héraclius, I, 1.
- The mildest manners and the gentlest heart.
- Homer, The Iliad, Book XVII, line 756. Pope's translation.
- Plus fait douceur que violence.
- Gentleness succeeds better than violence.
- Jean de La Fontaine, Fables, VI, 3.
- At caret insidiis hominum, quia mitis, hirundo.
- The swallow is not ensnared by men because of its gentle nature.
- Ovid, Ars Amatoria, II. 149.
- Gentle to others, to himself severe.
- Samuel Rogers, Voyage of Columbus, Canto VI.
- What would you have? your gentleness shall force
More than your force move us to gentleness.
- Let gentleness my strong enforcement be.
- They are as gentle
As zephyrs blowing below the violet.
- Those that do teach young babes
Do it with gentle means and easy tasks: