- Patience is only one faculty; earnestness the devotion of all the faculties. Earnestness is the cause of patience; it gives endurance, overcomes pain, strengthens weakness, braves dangers, sustains hope, makes light of difficulties, and lessens the sense of weariness in overcoming them.
- Christian Nestell Bovee, Intuitions and Summaries of Thought (1862), Volume I, p. 161.
Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895)
Quotes reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895).
- Without earnestness no man is ever great, or does really great things. He may be the cleverest of men; he may be brilliant, entertaining, popular; but he will want weight. No soul-moving picture was ever painted that had not in it depth of shadow.
- Peter Bayne, p. 205.
- Up, then, with speed, and work;
Fling ease and self away —
This is no time for thee to sleep —
Up, watch, and work, and pray!
- Horatius Bonar, p. 206.
- Child of earth and earthly sorrows — child of God and immortal hopes — arise from thy sadness, gird up the loins of thy mind, and with unfaltering energy press toward thy rest and reward on high.
- Elias Lyman Magoon, p. 205.
- This world is given as a prize for the men in earnest; and that which is true of this world is truer still of the world to come.
- Frederick William Robertson, p. 205.
- My God, help me always resolutely to strive, and, through life and death, to force my way unto Thee.
- Christian Scriver, p. 206.
- The best way for a man to get out of a lowly position is to be conspicuously effective in it. Rouse to some work of high and holy love, And thou an angel's happiness shalt know.
- Carlos Wilcox, p. 205.