Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895)
Quotes reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895).
- Jesus, save me from the infatuation of avarice! I, too, will lay up a treasure, but Thou shalt have the keeping of it.
- P. 21.
- God has given you your child, that the sight of him, from time to time, might remind you of His goodness, and induce you to praise Him with filial reverence.
- P. 50.
- As this brook not only washes off impurities, but overwhelms them, so that they can no longer be found, even so Thy Divine mercy, and the stream of my Saviour's blood, not only purge away, but extinguish my sins, sweeping them into the depths of the sea, where through all eternity they shall be remembered no more.
- P. 83.
- Lord Jesus, engrave Thou Thy name with Thine own finger upon my heart, that it may remain closed to wordly joy and worldly pleasure, self-interest, fading honor, and low revenge, and open only to Thee.
- P. 94.
- Well, then, Lord Jesus! I will creep if I cannot walk; I will take hold of Thy word. When I stumble, Thou wilt support me; when I fall, Thou wilt hold out Thy cross, and help me with it to rise again, until at length I reach the place where Thou art, and with all my weaknesses and wants, cast myself into Thy bosom.
- P. 100.
- The whole of Christianity is comprised in three things— to believe, to love, and to obey Jesus. These are things, however, which we must be learning all our life.
- P. 134.
- My God, give me neither poverty nor riches; but whatsoever it may be Thy will to give, give me with it a heart which knows humbly to acquiesce in what is Thy will.
- P. 161.
- My God, help me always resolutely to strive, and, through life and death, to force my way unto Thee.
- P. 206.
- In the school of Christ they are the best scholars who continue learning to the last.
- P. 376.
- As ravens rejoice over carrion, so infernal spirits exult over the soul that is dead in sin.
- P. 561.