Cannabis is a genus of flowering plant.
- Marijuana will not tolerate repression. Tranquillizers and depressants relax the body and release tension, but the state of mind associated with these drugs is "unconsciousness" whereby we escape rather than resolve our dilemmas. Alcoholism is an extreme need of both the body and personality sometimes to release the nervousness that has accumulated and continues to build up to an unbearable degree. It serves the same function for the collective personality for the society as well. A culture in which alcohol and tranquillizers are the prevalent form of release prefers not to witness internal confusion and actually chooses to act without conscious participation, maintaining a semi-numb condition.
- Joan Bello, The Benefits of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological & Spiritual (2007), p. 56
- Marijuana can act as the loosening agent, so that whatever has been banned from consciousness may come cascading forth. To uncover our deceptions without our usual rationalizations can be unpleasant, an experience that has turned many psychologically fragile individuals away from marijuana despite its therapeutic catharsis.
- Joan Bello, The Benefits of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological & Spiritual (2007), p. 50
- For me, it was like this: pronounced antipathy to conversing about matters of practical life, the future, dates, politics. You are fixated on the intellectual sphere as a man possessed may be fixated on the sexual: under its spell, sucked into it.
- Walter Benjamin, "Main features of my first impression of hashish," December 18, 1927, On Hashish (2006), p. 21
- You follow the same paths of thought as before. Only, they appear strewn with roses.
- Walter Benjamin, "Main features of my first impression of hashish," December 18, 1927, On Hashish (2006), p. 22
- I believe pot should be legalized (and Jack Daniels should always remain legal!)
- Brent Budowsky, In shock poll, Libertarian Johnson beats Trump among economists, The Hill (August 23, 2016)
- The Rastas, more than any other group, have elevated ganja to a central place in their religious practice and have developed a well-articulated ideology justifying its use and explaining its significance. ... Rastas regard the proscription of ganja use by Babylon's government as part of its strategy of social control.
- Ennis Barrington Edmonds, Rastafari: From Outcasts to Culture Bearers (Oxford University Press: 2002), pp. 60-61
- As a source of illumination, ganga has become an instrument in the war against Babylon and Babylonian consciousness. Its use, therefore, plays a major role in the de-alienation and decolonization of the African mind.
- Ennis Barrington Edmonds, Rastafari: From Outcasts to Culture Bearers (Oxford University Press: 2002), p. 61
- Dope gets you through times with no money better than money gets you through times with no dope
- Fat Freddie and Freewheeling Franklin in Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
- Not only is pot way cooler than alcohol, it’s also non-toxic. Dylan Thomas could not have smoked himself to death.
- Greta Gaines, in rhetoric for an end to Marijuana prohibition laws, in "Why Are No Women Celebrity Stoners Willing to Come Out of the Greenhouse?" (16 August 2012)
- The perception that cannabis is a safe drug is a mistaken reaction to a past history of exaggeration of its health risks.
- Wayne Denis Hall and Meredith Engel, "Marijuana can cause mental disorders, loss of intelligence: 20-year study", New York Daily News (7 October 2014)
- I've smoked marijuana, I choose not to smoke marijuana, but when I smoked it the first time, you know what I thought when I smoked it the first time? I thought, "the government lied." I just think that the government should tell the truth when it comes to these drugs. Look, marijuana is safer than alcohol, and don't trust me on this but the City of Denver, five years ago, voted on the decriminalization of marijuana on a campaign based on marijuana being safer than alcohol.
- The fact that I got to be the CEO of a publicly traded company in the marijuana space, that was something that was completely unexpected. But very quickly, marijuana products medicinally compete with legal prescription drugs that statistically kill 100,000 people a year. There's not been one documented death due to marijuana. Then on the recreational side, I've always maintained that legalizing marijuana will lead to less overall substance abuse because people will find it as such a safer alternative than everything else that's out there, starting with alcohol.
- I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine. There's some pretty good homegrown dope. I'm sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses.
- When you smoke herb, herb reveal yourself to you. All the wickedness you do, the herb reveal itself to yourself, your conscience, show up yourself clear, because herb make you meditate. Is only a natural t'ing and it grow like a tree.
- Bob Marley, as reported in Martin Booth, Cannabis: A History (2005), p. 366
- I smoke a fat pound of grass and fall on my ass faster than a fat bitch who sat down too fast!
- A young boy called up and asked me if I preferred grass or astroturf … And I told him that I had never smoked astroturf. I guess that I shouldn’t have said that.
- The question arises, therefore, why cannabis is so regularly banned in countries where alcohol is permitted. [...] It may be that we can ban cannabis simply because the people who use it, or would do so, carry little weight in social matters and are relatively easy to control, whereas the alcohol user often carries plenty of weight in social matters and is difficult to control, as the U.S. prohibition era showed. It has yet to be shown, however, that the one is more socially or personally disruptive than the other.
- H.B.M Murphy, M.D., Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal. "The Cannabis Habit" (1963). (As quoted in 'Bulletin on Narcotics' by UNDCP)
- There is a myth about such highs: the user has an illusion of great insight, but it does not survive scrutiny in the morning. I am convinced that this is an error, and that the devastating insights achieved when high are real insights; the main problem is putting these insights in a form acceptable to the quite different self that we are when we’re down the next day. Some of the hardest work I’ve ever done has been to put such insights down on tape or in writing. The problem is that ten even more interesting ideas or images have to be lost in the effort of recording one. It is easy to understand why someone might think it’s a waste of effort going to all that trouble to set the thought down, a kind of intrusion of the Protestant Ethic. But since I live almost all my life down I’ve made the effort—successfully, I think. Incidentally, I find that reasonably good insights can be remembered the next day, but only if some effort has been made to set them down another way. If I write the insight down or tell it to someone, then I can remember it with no assistance the following morning; but if I merely say to myself that I must make an effort to remember, I never do.
- Carl Sagan, Marihuana Reconsidered (1971)
- That is not a drug. It's a leaf.
- If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.
- Cannabis, just like morphine, has its usage in medicine. It's unpardonable that authorities forbid sick people access to this medicament and in majesty of law permit to sell cigarettes.
- Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!
- George Washington in a note to his gardener at Mount Vernon (1794), The Writings of George Washington, Volume 33, page 270 (Library of Congress)
- Washington also recorded his concern that the male and female plants be separated:
- May 12-13 1765: Sowed Hemp at Muddy hole by Swamp.
- August 7, 1765: —began to seperate (sic) the Male from the Female Hemp at Do —rather too late.
- Some assert his interest in separating the male and female plants is an indication that he may have used Indian hemp medicinally to treat his chronic tooth aches. Others note that fiber of the male and female hemp plants have different optimum harvest times.
- Some people have said that the aggressiveness that alcohol stimulates, and that is certainly the characteristic of alcohol, is consistent with Western values and Western culture, whereas, for example, the more introspective, meditative, reverie kind of state that marijuana produces, or opium produces, seems more consistent with some of the Eastern cultures than with Western cultures, and maybe some of our discomfort with those drugs has to do with that feeling that this is culturally out of sync with us.
- Andrew Weil, interviewed in Ancient Altered States
Quotes from music
- When I die bury me in smoke
- Phillip Anselmo - DOWN (first album)
- Straight people don't know, what you're about
They put you down and shut you out
you gave to me a new belief
and soon the world will love you sweet leaf
- I smoke a bowl when I'm stressed
And then I picture my girl undressed
- Da Molester from a 2010 freestyle
- "Cuz if at first you don't succeed, won't hurt to smoke some weed. Now them words are just a little more personal for me. Seeing as how I blew up off of puffing them trees."
- When you get a mouthful,
That's Hot Lunch
When you smoke a cashed bowl down too much
You need to refill that with buds
Fat-C, I only smoke fresh nugs.
- Fat-C, "Hot Lunch" from the album Fear and Loathing in Minnesota
- let us burn one from end to end
And pass it over to me my friend
Burn it long, we'll burn it slow
To light me up before i go
- Ben Harper, "Burn One Down" from Fight for your Mind (1995)
- Excuse me while I light my spliff (spliff)
Good God, I gotta take a lift (lift)
From reality I just can't drift (drift)
That's why I am staying with this riff (riff)
- When the stress burns my brain just like acid raindrops, Mary Jane is the only thing that makes the pain stop.
- People Under the Stairs, "Acid Raindrops"
- Let me get to the point
Let's roll another joint
Turn the radio loud
I'm too alone to be proud.
- Tom Petty, "You Don't Know How It Feels"
- Panama Red, Panama Red
He'll steal your woman, then he'll rob your head
Panama Red, Panama Red
On his white horse, Mescalito
He come breezin' through town
I'll bet your woman's up in bed with
- I smoke two joints in the morning
I smoke two joints at night
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
It makes me feel alright
I smoke two joints in time of peace
And two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
And then I smoke two more
- You must have been high
- You must have been so high
- Weeping shades of indigo
- Liar, lawyer, mirror; for you, what's the difference?
Kangaroo be stoned; he's guilty as the government