This page will no doubt be one that there are notable quotes upon, but we need quotes here by noted individuals. I know of a few and will probably track some down and post them tonight, but will be too busy with other things to go about it right away. I will leave the posted comment up until I can find some quotes to replace it. ~ Kalki 22:06, 27 Jun 2004 (UTC)
"Marijuana is addictive in the sense that all great things in life are worth repeating" -jenna sheehan
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Cannabis.
- "If someone wants to do drugs … as long as he or she isn’t corrupting minors or driving under the influence or endangering others, shouldn’t a person have that right?"
- "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
- Ronald Reagan, U.S. President (1980-1988)
- "If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."
- Pot opens everything up. All the anxieties, the creepy crawly blues, it just drifts away and you can slowly remember what it was like to be alive. Even more importantly, you can take a step back and what really is important, which of the many things in your life really deserves worrying about. Not much!
- Maybe if all the politicians out there would just take a few minutes to sit back, listen to some Dave Matthews Band, and smoke some pot, maybe the world wouldn't be so fucked up.
- Dave Matthews (15 May 1998)
- "Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the fields?" - quote has been edited, found on page 8 of the Rotarian Magazine September 1933 - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B0MEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&dq=Why
- "It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend."
- "All these governments and this and that, these people that say they're here to help, why them say you cannot smoke the herb? Herb... herb is a plant, you know? And when me check it, me can't find no reason. All them say is, 'it make you rebel'. Against what?"
- "Herb is the unifier of the people."
- "Music and herb go together. It's been a long time now I smoke herb. From 1960s, when I first start singing."
- "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."
- Harry J. Anslinger, Federal Bureau of Narcotics Commissioner for 32 years, testimony to Congress, 1938
- "Please don't throw your shit at me... unless that shit resembles a bag of marijuana"
- "Pot is a better drug than alcohol. I'll prove it to you. You're at a ball game or a concert, and someone's really violent and agressive and obnoxious, are they drunk or are they smoking pot?"
- "I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. 'Hey, buddy!' 'Hey, what?' 'Ummmmmmm....' End of argument."
- Why is pot against the law? It wouldn't be because anyone can grow it, and therefore you can't make a profit off it, would it?
- "I think that marijuana makes you stupid but sensual. I've watched many of my friends and loved ones become more erotic and dumber--just going around with a glazed expression on their faces from their last orgasms to the next--and found them really quite boring."
- "A poem: Slowly the foreign air enter me. I feel tingles and sensations. My life becomes a fantasy. Cannabis now rules thee."
- "Marijuana is addictive in the sense that all great things in life are worth repeating."
- "Hey hey heyeyea...Smoke weed every day."
- Nate Dogg, from Dr. Dre's "Chronic 2001" (NOT Dave Chapelle)
- "Legalize it, and I will advertise it."
- "When I was in England I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale."
- Bill Clinton, U.S. President (1993-2001)
- "I never understood that line. The point was to inhale. That was the point."
- Barack Obama, When asked, "Unlike other presidents, did you inhale?"
- "I'm not going to be Bill Clinton and say I never inhaled. I did inhale. I liked tobacco a lot better."
- "You bet I did -— and I enjoyed it."
- Michael Bloomberg - New York City Mayor, when asked if he had ever smoked marijuana.
- "Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana."
- Jimmy Carter, U.S. President in a message to the U.S. Congress (1977)
- "Congress should definitely consider decriminalizing possession of marijuana... We should concentrate on prosecuting the rapists and burglars who are a menace to society."
- Dan Quayle U.S. Representative and Vice president (March 1977)
- "You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years — rrreal fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few tunes."
My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.
If you don't light my fire, then don't come around,
'cause I'm gonna burn one down.
Yes, I'm gonna burn one down.
Herb the gift from the earth,
And what's from the earth is of the greatest worth.
So before you knock it try it first,
Oh, you'll see it's a blessing and not a curse.
- "I don't know what is marijuana. Perhaps I will try it when it will no longer be criminal. I will have my money for my fine and a joint in the other hand."
- Jean Chretien, former Prime Minister of Canada, on the decriminalization of Marijuana
- “Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.” - Thomas Jefferson
- “Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere.” - George Washington
- “We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.” - John Adams
- “Considering the fact that I’ve used it in the past, and know what it is, and seen the results of it, I don’t view marijuana as a dangerous drug.” - Tim Robbins
- “Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.
- “The anti-marijuana campaign is a cancerous tissue of lies, undermining law enforcement, aggravating the drug problem, depriving the sick of needed help and suckering well-intentioned conservatives and countless frightened parents.” - William F. Buckley
- “I think hard drugs are disgusting. But I must say, I think marijuana is pretty lightweight.” - Linda McCartney
- I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong? - Willie Nelson
- “When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn’t like it. I didn’t inhale and never tried it again.” –Bill Clinton
- “I think that most small amounts of marijuana have been decriminalized in some places, and should be. We really need a re-examination of our entire policy on imprisonment…Our imprisonment policies are counterproductive.” - Bill Clinton
- “I was going to go make a film in Greece. if they caught you with this much marijuana, they threw you in jail, no questions asked, and I was trying to stuff it in my deodorant bottles. I thought, what I am doing?” - Dyan Cannon
- “I wasn’t driving down the wrong side of the street, smoking marijuana, waving my gun out the window.” - Coolio
- “If you substitute marijuana for tobacco and alcohol, you’ll add eight to 24 years to your life.” - Jack Herer
- “Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke marijuana.” - Melissa Etheridge
- “Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating. - Richard Neville
- “Marijuana you can give up, Iv given it up for fifteen years now and it never occurs to me to smoke it anymore.“ - Larry Hagman
- “The only dead bodies from marijuana are in the prisons and at the hands of the police. This is ridiculous.” - Jack Herer
- “Well, as I understand it, the main supporters are beer companies and the pharmaceutical companies. I’d like them to show me the dead bodies from marijuana. But they can’t because there aren’t any.” - Jack Herer
- “Whenever the people are for gay marriage or medical marijuana or assisted suicide, suddenly the “will of the people” goes out the window.” - Bill Maher
- “They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you’re high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it’s not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.” - Bill Hicks
- “I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.” - Ronald Reagan - hehehe!….. u gotto be kidding me Ronie!!
- “Marijuana is the finest anti-nausea medication known to science, and our leaders have lied about this consistently. [Arresting people for] medical marijuana is the most hideous example of government interference in the private lives of individuals. It’s an outrage within an outrage within an outrage.” - Peter McWilliams
- “Smoking’s a way to let you down slowly from a ballgame. It also makes you use less of the resources around. It makes people better in the way they act towards society. Everybody’s nicer. It’s hard to be mean when you’re stoned.” - Bill Lee
- “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” - Bob Marley
- “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.” - Bob Marley
- “little wine sometimes, that’s all. Spirits are bad. Alcohol wrong. Herb does grow .” - Bob Marley
- “Music and herb go together. It’s been a long time now I smoke herb. From 1960s, when I first start singing.” – Bob Marley
- “The drug is really quite a remarkably safe one for humans, although it is really quite a dangerous one for mice and they should not use it.” - J.W.D Henderson Director of the Bureau of Human Drugs, Health and Welfare, Canada
- “The War on Drugs has been an utter failure. We need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws.” - Barack Obama
- “When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point.” - Barack Obama
- “Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn’t the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit … unnatural?” - Bill Hicks
- “Forty million Americans smoked marijuana; the only ones who didn’t like it were Judge Ginsberg, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton.” - Jay Leno
- “Casual drug users should be taken out and shot” - Darryl Gates Head of Los Angeles Police Department United States Senate Judiciary Committee
- “Now, like, I’m President. It would be pretty hard for some drug guy to come into the White House and start offering it up, you know? … I bet if they did, I hope I would say, ‘Hey, get lost. We don’t want any of that.’” - George W. Bush
- “I wouldn’t answer the marijuana questions, You know why? Because I don’t want some little kid doing what I tried.” Said George Bush, he was then reminded that he’d publicly denied using cocaine, Bush replied, “I haven’t denied anything.”
- “I think pot should be legal. I don’t smoke it, but I like the smell of it.” Andy Warhol
- “I used to smoke marijuana. But I’ll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, midevening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early midafternoon, or perhaps the late-midafternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning… . But never at dusk.” - Steve Martin
- “I enjoy smoking cannabis and see no harm in it.” – Jennifer Aniston
- “…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)
- “That is not a drug. It’s a leaf” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this.” - Albert Einstein
- “When a private enterprise fails, it is closed down; when a government enterprise fails, it is expanded. Isn’t that exactly what’s been happening with drugs?” - Milton Friedman
- “It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics … dope and all that crap. It’s a thousand times better than whiskey - it’s an assistant - a friend.” - Louis Armstrong
- “There’s been no top authority saying what marijuana does to you. I really don’t know that much about it. I tried it once but it didn’t do anything to me.” - John Wayne
- “If John Lennon is deported, I’m leaving too…with my musicians..and my marijuana.” - Art Garfunkel
- “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” - Carl Sagan
- “When you return to this mundane sphere from your visionary world, you would seem to leave a Neapolitan spring for a Lapland winter - to quit paradise for earth - heaven for hell! Taste the hashish, guest of mine - taste the hashish!” - Alexander Dumas, ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’, 1844
- “Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?” - Henry Ford
- “If the words “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” don’t include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn’t worth the hemp it was written on.” - Terence McKenna
- “Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use… Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana.” - Jimmy Carter, U.S. President
- “I do smoke, but I don’t go through all this trouble just because I want to make my drug of choice legal. It’s about personal freedom. We should have the right in this country to do what we want, if we don’t hurt anybody. Seventy-two million people in this country have smoked pot. Eighteen to 20 million in the last year. These people should not be treated as criminals.” - Woody Harrelson
- “I think the ‘Just say no’ mentality is so crazed. I saw a thing in a women’s magazine the other day. ‘He smokes cannabis, what am I to do? He laughs it off when I try to tell him, he says it’s not really harmful…’ Of course you’re half hoping the advice will be, ‘Well, you know it’s not that harmful; if you love him, if you talk to him about it, tell him maybe he should keep it in the garden shed or something,’ you know, a reasonable point of view. But of course it was, ‘No, no, all drugs are bad. Librium’s good, Valium’s good. But cannabis, ooooh!’ I hate that unreasoned attitude.” - Sir Paul McCartney
- “I smoked this joint and then it hit me. I thought, what you gotta do is play your own simply blues.” Iggy Pop
- “Hey, whats in this shit man. Mostly maui wowie, but its got some labrodor in it. Whats labrodor man? Its dog shit. My dog ate my stash so I had to follow him around with a little baggy for 3 days. It really blew the dogs mind.” - Cheech and Chong
- “Marijuana is not a drug!!! I used to suck dick for coke! You ever suck DICK for marijuana?” - Bob Saget in Half Baked
- “I was a heavy drinker, but the alcohol affected my heart rather than my liver. So I stopped. I smoke grass now. I say that to everybody, because marijuana should be legalized. It’s ridiculous that it isn’t. If at the end of the day I feel like smoking a joint I do it. It changes the perception of what I’ve been through all day.” - Robert Altman
- “You bet I did. And I enjoyed it!” - Michael Bloomberg (NY mayor) when asked if he ever smoked pot.
- “I don’t consider weed to be any worse than having a beer,” says actor James Franco
- “I’m the one who’s got to die when it’s time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to.” - Jimi Hendrix
- “I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years. And I still think of it as a basic staple of life, along with beer and ice and grapefruits - and millions of Americans agree with me.” - Hunter S Thompson
- “Jesus was a pothead-- long hair, beard, sandals, carpenter-- do the math it all adds up. Living with twelve guys with no visible means of support.”- Ralphie May
- “kryptichronicuttilyte”- Katt Williams
- “Every time it smells like pinecones, daddy be trippin'.”- Katt Williams
- “The more medicated the more dedicated” - Snoop Dogg
- “My point of view, while extremely cogent, is unpopular… . That the repressive nature of the legalities vis-a-vis drugs are destroying the legal system and corrupting the police system.” - Jack Nicholson
Is there any evidence the following quote refers to cannabis rather than tobacco?
- Woman in this scale, the weed in that, Jupiter, hang out thy balance, and weigh them both; and if thou give the preference to woman, all I can say is, the next time Juno ruffles thee—O Jupiter, try the weed.
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton, What Will He Do With It? (1858), Book I, Chapter VI