Jeffrey Preston Bezos (born January 12, 1964) is an American technology and retail entrepreneur, investor, electrical engineer, computer scientist, and philanthropist, best known as the founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Amazon.com, the world's largest online shopping retailer. The company began as an Internet merchant of books and expanded to a wide variety of products and services, most recently video and audio streaming. Amazon.com is currently the world's largest Internet sales company on the World Wide Web, as well as the world's largest provider of cloud infrastructure services, which is available through its Amazon Web Services arm. In 2013, Bezos purchased The Washington Post newspaper.
- We’ve had three big ideas at Amazon that we’ve stuck with for 18 years, and they’re the reason we’re successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient. If you replace ‘customer’ with ‘reader,’ that approach, that point of view, can be successful at The Post, too.
- That kind of divine discontent comes from observing customers and noticing that things can always be better.
- Jeff Bezos explains why Amazon doesn’t really care about its competitors 17 September, 2013.
- We’re building what’s called a private cloud for them [the C.I.A.], … because they don’t want to be on the public cloud.
- You gotta earn your keep in this world. When you invent something new, if customers come to the party, it’s disruptive to the old way.
- If you absolutely can't tolerate critics, then don't do anything new or interesting.
- What Amazon's Jeff Bezos thinks about Peter Thiel and Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker (BoingBoing) (dubbed "The Bezos Principle" by Walt Mossberg)
Quotes about Bezos
- Bezos is a serial innovator: with Amazon, he changed the way the retail industry works; and now he’s applying that same spark of creativity to media, with his ownership of the Washington Post and the founding of Amazon Studios. Still, for me it is his zeal for helping humanity return to the moon, settle Mars and reach destinations beyond that is the most thrilling.
- Buzz Aldrin, the second person to walk on the Moon, discussing the inclusion of Bezos in Time magazine's list of "The 100 Most Influential People in the World 2017." April 20, 2017.