Apes of Wrath
Apes of Wrath is a 1959 Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies animated short directed by Friz Freleng. The short was released on April 18, 1959, and stars Bugs Bunny, with a cameo appearance by Daffy Duck. This cartoon recycles the plot from the 1948 cartoon Gorilla My Dreams. The title is a parody of John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath. In the short, the drunken stork loses his baby ape for Mr. and Mrs. Elvis Ape on a jungle island. So, he knocks out Bugs Bunny and delivers him instead.
This cartoon was featured in Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie: 1001 Rabbit Tales, But, instead of Bugs saying, "So, I'll be a monkey.", he said, "So, I'll sell books later.", and the ending was changed. Instead of ending with Daffy appearing, it changes to Bugs tunneling his way to the desert.
- Hey! This promises to be fun! Eh, so I'll be a monkey. [chatters]
- Drunk Stork: [as he was resting against a tree] What a day! Fifteen deliveries and one to go. Hic! Everybody's glad to see the stork! Hic! Here stork, have a drink to the new baby, Oh, have another! C'mon! Bottoms up! One for the road! [as he was talking, the baby gorilla escaped from the bag and wandered away] You gotta be social, hic! You gotta be social, hic! You just can't refuse the generous hospital, hic! Their hospital, hic! You just can't refuse them! Hic! Well. I better be going! Hic! That mother gorilla must be getting worried. [looks in the bag and realizes that the baby gorilla had disappeared] Gone! Oh no! Hic! I'll be dismissed! Kicked out of the stork club! I just gotta get a baby somehow!
- Bugs Bunny: [as he was resting near a campfire] I dream of Jeanie, she's a light brown hare! [The drunk stork gets out a bat and bonks the rabbit in the head] I dream of Jeanie, she's a light... brown... hare...
- Bugs: I'd like to see him eeh-ooh-aah-ooh and but his way outta this one!
- [Just then, the drunk stork shows up.]
- Drunk Stork: Congra-Hic! Congra-Hic! Congratulations! You’re a mother! [gives Bugs the bag]
- Bugs: Mother?
- [Daffy Duck pops out of the bag.]
- Daffy: Mother! My dearest little mommy! [kisses Bugs] Oh. I just love you mommy!