Artillery (from French artillerie) refers to any engine used for the discharge of projectiles during war. The term also describes ground-based troops with the primary function of manning such weapons.
- Our artillery... The Germans feared it almost more than anything we had.
- Ernie Pyle, Brave Men (1944)
- Soldiers, you brave guys, who are your wives?
Our wives are our loaded cannons, that's what our wives are.
Солдатушки, бравы ребятушки, а кто ваши жёны?
Наши жёны — пушки заряжёны, вот кто наши жёны.
- Traditional Russian soldiers song. 
- If you have two hundred guns per kilometer of the front, do not ask about the enemy and do not report about him.
- "The poorer the infantry, the more artillery it needs; the American infantry needs all it can get."
- French General Koechlin-Schwartz, speaking to U.S. General George S. Patton on two occasions. "The Patton Papers, 1940-1945"; George Smith Patton, Martin Blumenson; Houghton Mifflin (1972); pp.520-521
- And what is the modern war, it's an interesting question, what it requires? It requires massive artillery. In modern warfare, artillery is a god... Artillery, massive artillery decides the fate of the war.
- The artillery is a god of modern war.
- Artillery is an arm equally formidable both in the offensive and defensive.
- …If you really want to know, I've read War and Peace. Now there's a book for you. Read it right through — and enjoyed it. Why? Because it wasn't written by any old scribbler but by an artillery officer. Have you drawn a ten? Right, you're my partner…
- Russian: — …если угодно знать, «Войну и мир» читал… Вот, действительно, книга. До самого конца прочитал — и с удовольствием. А почему? Потому что писал не обормот какой-нибудь, а артиллерийский офицер. У вас десятка? Вы со мной…
- Mikhail Bulgakov. The White Guard
- An' as their firin' dies away the 'usky whisper runs
From lips that 'aven't drunk all day: "The Guns! Thank Gawd, the Guns!"
- For you all love the screw-guns — the screw-guns they all love you!
So when we call round with a few guns, o' course you will know what to do — hoo! hoo!
Just send in your Chief an' surrender — it's worse if you fights or you runs:
You can go where you please, you can skid up the trees, but you don't get away from the guns!