|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- A great city, whose image dwells in the memory of man, is the type of some great idea. Rome represents conquest; Faith hovers over the towers of Jerusalem; and Athens embodies the pre-eminent quality of the antique world, Art.
- Athens, the eye of Greece, mother of arts and eloquence, native to famous wits.
- John Milton, Paradise Regained
- Let there be light! Said Liberty, And like sunrise from the sea, Athens arose!
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, Hellas