Avatar (2009 film)
Avatar is a 2009 American epic science fiction film about about a native alien species that defends its home from invasion. Released on 18 December 2009 by 20th Century Fox, the film broke several box office records and became the highest-grossing film of all time in the U.S.-Canadian market as well as worldwide.
- Written and directed by James Cameron.
- [first lines] When I was at the VA, with a hole blown through my life, I had these dreams of flying. I was free. Sooner or later, though, you always have to wake up.
- I became a marine for the hardship. Told myself I can pass any test a man can pass. All I ever wanted was a single thing worth fighting for.
- This is how it's done. When people are sitting on shit that you want, you make 'em your enemy. Then you justify taking it.
- I dreamed I was a soldier who could bring peace. Sooner or later, though, you always have to wake up.
- Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move.
- [explaining his attempt to tame the legendary Toruk] Way I figure it, Toruk's the baddest cat in the sky. Nobody attacks him. So why would he ever look up? That was just the theory.
- The Sky-People have sent us a message... that they can take whatever they want... and no one can stop 'em. Well, we will send them a message: You ride out as fast as a wing can carry, ...you tell the other clans to come, ...you tell them Toruk Makto calls to themǃ You fly now, with me, ...my brothers, ...sistersǃ And we will show the Sky-People ...that they cannot take whatever they wantǃ And that THIS... THIS IS OUR LANDǃ
- Well, uh, I guess this is my last video log. Whatever happens tonight, either way, I'm not going to be coming back to this place. Well, I guess I better go. I don't wanna be late for my own party. It's my birthday, after all. This is Jake Sully signing off.
- I See You.
- [to Jake] You have a strong heart. No fear – but stupid! Ignorant, like a child.
Dr. Grace Augustine
- [to Jake] Just relax and let your mind go blank. That shouldn't be too hard for you.
- Yeah, that tends to happen when you use machine guns on them.
- [after getting shot] This is gonna ruin my whole day.
- [about the Tree of Souls] I would die to get some samples...
- [last words about the Navi' goddess, Eywa] I'm with her, Jake. She's real.
- You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentlemen. Respect that fact every second of every day. If there is a Hell, you might want to go there for a little R&R after a tour on Pandora.
- As head of security it is my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. Not with all of you. If you wish to survive, you have to cultivate a strong mental attitude. You have to obey the rules. Pandora rules.
- You haven't got lost in the woods, have you? You still remember what team you're playing for?
- You let me down, son. So, what – you, you found yourself some local tail, and you just completely forget what team you're playing for?
- Our only security lies in pre-emptive attack. We will fight terror with terror. Now, the hostiles believe that this mountain stronghold of theirs is well protected by their – their deity. And when we destroy it, we will blast a crater in their racial memory so deep that they won't come within a thousand klicks of this place ever again.
- Nothing's over while I'm breathing!
- [while flying past the floating Hallelujah Mountains] You should see your faces.
- [refusing to participate on the attack on the natives] I didn't sign up for this shit!
- [after having attacked Col. Quaritch's ship] Oops. You're not the only one with a gun, bitch!
- Jake: [As sacred seeds gather around him, and land on him] What are they?
- Neytiri: Seeds of the sacred tree – very pure spirits.
- Mo'at: Why did you come here?
- Jake: I came here to learn.
- Mo'at: We have tried to teach other Sky People. It is hard to fill a cup which is already full.
- Jake: My cup's empty. Trust me, just ask Dr. Augustine. I'm no scientist.
- Mo'at: What are you, then?
- Jake: I was a Marine. A warrior of the... "Jarhead" clan
- Neytiri: Now you choose your Ikran. This you must feel inside. If he also chooses you, move quick, like I showed you. You will have one chance, Jake.
- Jake: How will I know if he chooses me?
- Neytiri: He will try to kill you.
- Jake: [after a brief pause] Outstanding!
- Dr. Grace Augustine: [upon meeting Jake] Yeah, I know who you are, but I don't need him; I need your brother. You know, the Ph.D. who spent 3 years preparing for this project.
- Jake Sully: He's dead. I know it's a big inconvenience for everyone.
- Dr. Grace Augustine: How much lab training have you had!?
- Jake Sully: I dissected a frog once.
- Dr. Grace Augustine: See! They're pissing on us without even having the courtesy of calling it rain.
- Neytiri: You are Omaticaya now. You may make your bow from the wood of Hometree. And you may choose a woman. We have many fine women. Ninat is the best singer.
- Jake Sully: I don't want Ninat.
- Neytiri: Peyral is a good hunter.
- Jake Sully: Yes, she is a good hunter. But I've already chosen. But this woman must also choose me.
- Neytiri: [smiles] She already has.
- [they kiss]
- Trudy: We'll have to fly VFR from here
- Jake Sully: What does that mean?
- Trudy: That means you have to see where you are flying.
- Jake Sully: But you cant see anything!
- Trudy: Exactly, ain't that a bitch!
- "I See You", written by James Horner, Thaddis Harrell, and Simon Franglen, sung by Leona Lewis – YouTube video
- Walking through a dream, I see you
My light in darkness breathing hope of new life
Now I live through you and you through me, enchanted
I pray in my heart that this dream never ends.
- Now I give my hope to you, I surrender –
I pray in my heart that this world never ends.
- Enter the World
- Return to Pandora