Barbara Jill Walters (born September 25, 1929) is an American retired broadcast journalist, author, and television personality. Known for her interviewing ability and popularity with viewers, Walters appeared as the host of numerous television programs, including Today, The View, 20/20, and the ABC Evening News. Walters was a working journalist from 1951 until 2015.
- Now here I was, half Jane Wyman, half Shirley Temple, and people began to stop me in the street and say, 'Don't worry, Barbara, it's all right, you won't lose your job.' It was really very touching.
- Chris Chase, "A Talk With the Unsinkable Barbara Walters", New York Magazine (March 25, 1974), Vol. 7, No. 12, p. 62.
- I find very often people like to confront rumors. It depends on how much they trust you. And you have to have a line between what is tasteful and what isn't.
- Chris Chase, "A Talk With the Unsinkable Barbara Walters", New York Magazine (March 25, 1974), Vol. 7, No. 12, p. 65.
- A great many people think that polysyllables are a sign of intelligence and refinement so they think they will impress others with their command of obscure words.
- How to Talk With Practically Anybody About Practically Anything (1970), p. 136.
- Deep breaths are very helpful at shallow parties.
- How to Talk With Practically Anybody About Practically Anything (1970).
- She made me laugh. I will miss her. Baba Wawa.
- Note sent to Gene Wilder, husband of the late Gilda Radner following Radner's death from ovarian cancer; Radner had done an impersonation of Walters where she had poked fun at Walters' difficulty in pronouncing the letter "r", introducing herself as "Baba Wawa". Stated in an interview at Inside the Actors Studio.
- We thought that he was going to be -- I shouldn't say this at Christmastime -- but the next messiah.