Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown
Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown is the 13th prime-time animated TV special based upon the comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schultz. It originally aired on the CBS network on January 28, 1975 and aired annually on CBS from 1975 to 2000. It has aired annually on ABC since 2001 and has been paired with A Charlie Brown Valentine since 2009.
- Violet: Charlie Brown, we've been feeling awfully guilty about not giving you a valentine this year. Here, I've erased my name from this one. I'd like you to have it.
- Schroeder: Hold on there! What do you think you're doing? Who do you think you are? Where were you yesterday when everyone else was giving out valentines? Is kindness and thoughtfulness something you can make retroactive? Don't you think he has any feelings? You and your friends are the most thoughtless bunch I've ever known. You don't care *anything* about Charlie Brown! You just hate to feel guilty! And now you have the nerve to come around one day later and offer him a used valentine just to ease your conscience?! Well, let me tell you something: Charlie Brown doesn't need your...
- Charlie Brown: Don't listen to him! I'll take it!
- Schroeder: Okay, Fine. Perfect! I Can't Believe How Selfish You All Are! So This Is It? After All We've Been Through.
- Violet: We Quit!
- Schroeder: No! No! No! Wait! Let's Not Make Any Rash Decisions. Let's Put A Pin In It!
- Lucy: [to Schroeder as he plays his piano] Sometimes I don't think you realize that you could lose me. Are you sure you want to suffer the tortures of the memories of a lost love? [pause] Do you know the tortures of the memories of a lost love? [Schroeder stops playing his piano just as Lucy goes berserk, demolishing the piano with her feet over her next six lines] It's awful! It will haunt you night and day! You'll wake up at night screaming! You can't eat! You can't sleep! You'll want to smash things! You'll hate yourself and the world and everybody in it! [sobs, then quite normally] Awwwwww! Are you sure you want to risk losing me?
- Sally: [reading off a candy heart] "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight for the ends of being and ideal grace." [Snoopy arrives and begins to mime the poem behind her] "I love thee to the level of every day's most quiet needs by sun and candlelight. I love thee freely as men strive for night; I love thee purely as they turn from praise; I love thee passion put to use in my old griefs and my childhood's faith. I love thee with the love I seemed to lose with my lost faith. I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears of all my life! - And, if God choose, I shall love thee better after death."
- [Snoopy takes a bow, and kisses her hand]
- Linus: I spent all my money. I made a fool of myself. [he begins throwing chocolates off the bridge and out of sight] This one is for love! And this one is for Valentine's! This one is for romance! This one is for Elizabeth Barrett Browning! This is for How do I love *thee*!" This is for...
- [we see Snoopy and Woodstock catching and eating the chocolates as he throws them]
- [first lines]
- Lucy: What are you doing, Charlie Brown?
- Charlie Brown: I'm waiting for valentines.
- Lucy: Oh, well. Good luck.
- Charlie Brown: Thank you.
- Lucy: You'll need it.
- Charlie Brown: You didn't have to say that!
- Frieda: Sweet baby?
- Charlie Brown: [checks inside his mailbox, only to find that there was no Valentine's Day card, slams it shut, throws his suitcase on it, and kicks it with his foot, then cries out in pain] OW! OOH-OOH-OW!
- w:Alexander Gould: Charlie Brown
- w:Adam West: Hunter Hero
- w:Julia Roberts: Sophiana
- w:Oprah Winfrey: Lucy van Pelt
- w:Robin Williams: Linus van Pelt
- w:Drew Barrymore: Sally Brown
- w:Greg Germann: Schroeder
- w:Amy Adams: Violet
- w:Dick Van Dyke: Snoopy
- w:Emily Mortimer: Miss Othmar