Elisabeth "Betsy" DeVos (née Prince; born January 8, 1958) is the 11th U.S. Secretary of Education. Her background includes experience as an American businesswoman, philanthropist, and noted political campaign contributor. DeVos is a member of the Republican Party known for her advocacy of school choice, voucher programs, and ties to the Reformed Christian community.
- I have decided to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect something in return. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues.
- in Roll Call, 1997 BETSY DEVOS, TRUMP’S BIG-DONOR EDUCATION SECRETARY, The New Yorker (November 23, 2016)
- I would imagine that there’s probably a gun in the school to protect from potential grizzlies.
- More and more parents are coming to realize their children are suffering at the hands of a system built to strangle any reform, any innovation, or any change. . . . This realization is becoming more evident as the momentum builds for an education revolution.
- From remarks at the American Federation of Children made in May of 2016, as quoted in "Betsy DeVos, the (Relatively Mainstream) Reformer," by Michael McShane, EducationNext (2017), Volume 17 (No. 3).
- I voted against the nomination of Betsy DeVos, a billionaire Republican donor, because she is the most incompetent cabinet-level nominee I have ever seen.
- Encyclopedic article on Betsy DeVos at Wikipedia