Beverly Hills Cop III
Beverly Hills Cop III is the second sequel to Beverly Hills Cop. Released in 1994, it was directed by John Landis and starred Eddie Murphy as street-wise cop Axel Foley. After his police chief is murdered, Axel pursues the killer to Beverly Hills and uncovers a link between him and a theme park.
- [To his team] Ok everybody's ready here ok, nobody need to take a nervous piss or nothing right? We got this? Ok? Let's mount up.
- [To CIA Agents] Police Officer trying to catch a goddamned killer! Move it! Move it! Get the fuck out of my way! I'm a cop!
- [To Wonderworld Park Security] You know you should have your tailor cut your jackets a little wider in the chest, that way your gun won't bulge in the back.
- I told you I was investigating a crime, and I think I'm in the right place as I've been here ten minutes and I've already been shot at.
- [Door Knocking] Come in. [Door Knocking] It's Open. [Door Knocking, Billy goes to the door. Opens blinds] Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Axel Foley!
- And Axel, Don't forget. We play by the rules down here.I've heard Taggart's stories.
- Turn that fucking song off!
- Axel Foley: Boss I cancelled the SWAT team.
- Inspector Todd: You what? I wouldn't raid a church bingo game without SWAT!
- [Then later]
- Axel Foley: Do you think we should have used SWAT?
- Detective: Fuck SWAT.
- Axel Foley: That's what I said. "Fuck SWAT."
- [Later again, after the raid is gone to hell]
- Detective: We should have called SWAT!
- [On Inspector Todd to his widow]
- Axel Foley: His last words where about you.
- Mrs Todd: That does not sound like my Douglas, Axel. Try again.
- Axel Foley: [Resigned] Actually, his last words were "Axel, are you on a coffee break? Go get that son of bitch." Those were his last words.
- Mrs Todd: [Nodding] That sounds like my Douglas.
- Axel Foley: Yeah and it sounds like a good idea too.
- [Whilst hanging from a tall fairground ride]
- Woman: Are you alright?
- Axel Foley: [Breathless] Yeah I'm ok, just don't let go.
- [On the appearance of Todd's Killer, Ellis De Wald]
- Axel Foley: That's the fucking guy I'm looking for!
- Ellis De Wald: Orrin, do want to tell me what's going on here?
- Axel Foley: Fucking guy shot a Detroit police officer last weekend.
- Ellis De Wald: Last weekend? I was at my beach house in Laguna last weekend.
- Axel Foley: Your beach home in Laguna? [Beat] Wait. Wait. I think I got the wrong guy. I'm sorry. This is a big misunderstanding. [Security releases him] I know you were at beach...[Charges Ellis again, gets held back by Security] There weren't no beach house you motherfucker!
- Orrin Sanderson: [Into intercom] Miss Bruce? Call the police.
- Miss Bruce: [Voice-over] They just walked in!
- [Flint enters]
- Flint: Axel?
- Axel Foley: That's the guy, that's the killer!
- Flint: Ellis De Wald?!
- [Door flies open and hits Flint]
- Billy Rosewood: Axel?
- [Axel is inspecting some suspicious paper]
- Axel Foley: [To Flint] Man, you got a $50 bill?
- John Flint: I got a wife and three kids, I haven't seen a 50 in 12 years.
- Axel Foley: [To Billy] You got a $50 bill?
- Billy Rosewood: When will I get it back?
- Axel Foley: Man! Give me $50.00!
- Janice: Hey. I don't think you've seen the Tunnel of Love ride. Have you Axel?
- Axel Foley: [Coy] Well I didn't know you had a Tunnel of Love ride at Wonderworld.
- Janice: Oh there will be shortly.
- Axel Foley: Aha!
- Janice: Aha!
Quotes about Beverly Hills Cop III
- Cop 3 was a very strange experience. The script wasn't any good, but I figured, "So what? I'll make it funny with Eddie." I mean, one of the worst scripts I ever read was the [original] Beverly Hills Cop. It was a piece of shit, that script. But the movie's very funny because Eddie Murphy and Martin Brest made it funny. Everything funny in that movie is not in the screenplay, so I thought, "Well, we'll do that."
- But then I discovered on the first day when I started giving Eddie some shtick, he said, “You know, John… Axel Foley is an adult now. He’s not a wiseass anymore.” So, with Beverly Hills Cop 3, I had this strange experience where he was very professional, but he just wasn’t funny. I would try to put him in funny situations, and he would find a way to step around them. It’s an odd movie. There are things in it I like, but it’s an odd movie.
- John Landis, The Collider Interview: John Landis, Part II, by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub, Collider, Sep 2, 2005.
- The third Beverly Hills Cop was so horrible. I didn't want to leave it like that. The first two were cool and the third one is shitty. It's like, if you guys can come up to do a good one, then we can fix that old mess, and then the franchise is fixed again. So, I'm open to that possibility, cleaning up this old mess and making a good movie.
- Eddie Murphy, on possibility of making Beverly Hills Cop IV. The Third Beverly Hills Cop Was So Horrible, MTV. July 1, 2008.
- I don’t think it’s gonna happen in March, but it is gonna be in Detroit. And before it happens, they’ve got to get that script right. That movie has to be right. The third Beverly Hills Cop was garbage. Those movies, when I travel overseas, people say [in a foreign accent] “Hey, Beverly Hills Cop! Axel Foley!” They call me that shit. All the movies I’ve done, and they call me that. If we do that movie, it has to be right. Not just thrown together to get a big check. I don’t need anymore of those.
- Eddie Murphy, Eddie Murphy Calls Beverly Hills Cop 3 “Garbage”; Gives Beverly Hills Cop 4 Update, by Evan Dickson, Collider, Feb 11, 2015.
- It's now become Hollywood gospel that if a high concept film is reasonably successful, then make a sequel and if that raises any interest at all, then, hey why not try one more. It's a shame that here the studios just don't know when to stop with this episode ruining the name of what was once an enjoyable franchise.
- Kim Newman, Beverly Hills Cop III Review, Jan 1, 2000.
- In for the ride of his life!