Book of Proverbs
(Redirected from Bible Proverbs)
- 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 6 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 28 · 31
- The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel; To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
- 1:1-4, King James Version
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- 1:7, King James Version
- My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
- 1:10, King James Version
- Such is the fate of everyone who goes in search of profit; it takes away the life of its owners.
- 1:19, Bible in Basic English
- How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- 1:22, King James Version
- So follow the way of good people
And stay on the paths of the righteous,
For only the upright will reside in the earth,
And the blameless will remain in it.
As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth,
And the treacherous will be torn away from it.
- 2:20-22, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart.
- 3:3, King James Version
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
- 3:5, New International Version
- Be not wise in thine own eyes.
- 3:7, King James Version
- Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
- 3:13-15, King James Version
- Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.
- 3:31, King James Version
- Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.
- 4:6, New International Version
- Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
- 4:7, New International Version
- Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it is the wellspring of life.
- 4:23, World English Bible
- Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,
Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
- King James Version, 6:6-9
- O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
- 8:5, King James Version
- For wisdom is better than rubies; And all the things that may be desired are not to be compared unto it.
- 8:11, American Standard Version
- For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.
- 8:35-36, King James Version
- Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
- 9:8, King James Version
- Where there is much talk there will be no end to sin, but he who keeps his mouth shut does wisely.
- 10:19, Bible in Basic English
- The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are his delight.
- 11:1, New International Version
- He that loveth correction, loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is foolish.
- 12:1, Douay Rheims Bible
- Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
- 12:22, King James Version
- He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
- 13:3, New International Version
- The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
- 13:4, New International Version
- The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning men away from the nets of death.
- 13:14, Bible in Basic English
- The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
- 14:1, New International Version
- The simple believes everything, But the prudent man carefully considers his ways.
- 14:15, World English Bible
- The wise man, fearing, keeps himself from evil; but the foolish man goes on in his pride, with no thought of danger.
- 14:16, Bible in Basic English
- In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty.
- 14:23; New King James Version
- A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
- 14:30, King James Version
- He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker; But he that hath mercy on the needy honoreth him.
- 14:31, American Standard Version
- Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
- 14:34, King James Version
- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
- 15:1, New International Version
- Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
- 15:16, King James Version
- Plans fail when there is no consultation,
But there is accomplishment through many advisers.
- 15:22, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
- 16:3, New International Version
- A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
- 16:9, King James Version
- Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- 16:18, King James Version
- Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, Than a house full of feasting with strife.
- 17:1, American Standard Version
- A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
- 17:22, King James Version
- A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.
- 17:24, New International Version
- A foolish son is a grief to his father, and bitterness to her that bare him.
- 17:25, King James Version
- A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
- 17:27, New International Version
- Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
- 17:28, New International Version
- Wine makes men foolish, and strong drink makes men come to blows; and whoever comes into error through these is not wise.
- 20:1, Bible in Basic English
- A king’s heart is like streams of water in Jehovah’s hand.
He directs it wherever He pleases.
- 21:1, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
- To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
- 21:3, King James Version
- It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.
- 21:19, King James Version
- It is better to dwell in a desert land, Than with a contentious and fretful woman.
- 21:19, American Standard Version
- A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
- 22:3, King James Version
- Thorns and snares are in the way of the perverse: He that keepeth his soul shall be far from them.
- 22:5, American Standard Version
- Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
- 22:6, King James Version
- He that soweth iniquity shall reap calamity.
- 22:8, American Standard Version
- Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.
- 23:23, King James Version
- For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
- 23:7, King James Version
- For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.
- 24:6, King James Version
- Meddle not with them that are given to change.
- 24:21, King James Version
- To speak a word in due time, is like apples of gold on beds of silver.
- 25:11, Douay Rheims Bible
- If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink. For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.
- As a troubled fountain, and a corrupted spring, So is a righteous man that giveth way before the wicked.
- 25:26, American Standard Version
- As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
- 26:11, King James Version
- Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein; and he that rolleth a stone, it shall return upon him.
- 26:27, Darby's English Translation
- The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
- 28:1, King James Version
- God detests the prayers of a person who ignores the law.
- 28:9, New Living Translation
- He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
- 28:13, New International Version
- He that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent.
- 28:20, King James Version
- He that hasteth to be rich hath an evil eye, And considereth not that poverty shall come upon him.
- 28:22, King James Version
- It is not for kings, O Lemuel-- not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.
- 31:4-7, New International Version
- Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
- 31:8-9, New International Version
- Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
- 31:10, King James Version
- Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
- 31:30, New International Version
|Genesis • Exodus • Leviticus • Numbers • Deuteronomy • Joshua • Judges • Ruth • 1 Samuel • 2 Samuel • 1 Kings • 2 Kings • 1 Chronicles • 2 Chronicles • Ezra • Nehemiah • Esther • Job • Psalms • Proverbs • Ecclesiastes • Song of Solomon • Isaiah • Jeremiah • Lamentations • Ezekiel • Daniel • Hosea • Joel • Amos • Obadiah • Jonah • Micah • Nahum • Habakkuk • Zephaniah • Haggai • Zechariah • Malachi|
|Esdras • Tobit • Judith • Additions to Esther • Wisdom of Solomon • Susanna • Baruch • Additions to Daniel • Prayer of Manassheh • 1 Maccabees • 2 Maccabees|
|Matthew • Mark • Luke • John • Acts • Romans • 1 Corinthians • 2 Corinthians • Galatians • Ephesians • Philippians • Colossians • 1 Thessalonians • 2 Thessalonians • 1 Timothy • 2 Timothy • Titus • Philemon • Hebrews • James • 1 Peter • 2 Peter • 1 John • 2 John • 3 John • Jude • Revelation|