Book of Joel
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- What the nibbler has left, the grown locust has eaten, what the grown locust has left, the hopper has eaten, and what the hopper has left, the shearer has eaten.
- NRSV, 1:4
- Loudly the cattle groan! The herds of oxen are bewildered because they have no pasture. The flocks of sheep bear the punishment too. Yahweh, to you I cry: for fire has devoured the desert pastures, flame has burnt up all the trees in the countryside. Even the wild animals pant loudly for you, for the watercourses have run dry, and fire has devoured the desert pastures.
- NRSV, 1:18-20
- Land, do not be afraid; be glad, rejoice, for Yahweh has done great things.
- NRSV, 2:21
- 'I will make up to you for the years devoured by grown locust and hopper, by shearer and young locust, my great army which I sent to invade you.
- NRSV, 2:25
- And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophecy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.
- NRSV, 2:28
- The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the Day comes, that great and terrible Day. All who call on the name of Yahweh will be saved, for on Mount Zion will be those who have escaped, as Yahweh has said, and in Jerusalem a remnant whom Yahweh is calling.
- NRSV, 3:4-5
- Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, I am strong.
- NRSV, 3:10
- 'For in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem, I shall gather all the nations together and take them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat; there I shall put them on trial because of Israel, my people and my heritage, for having scattered them among the nations and having divided my land among themselves.
- NRSV, 4:1-2
- 'Let the nations rouse themselves and march to the Valley of Jehoshaphat, for there I shall sit in judgement on all the nations around.
- NRSV, 4:12
- Multitude on multitude in the Valley of Decision! For the Day of Yahweh is near in the Valley of the Verdict!
- NRSV, 4:14
- When that Day comes, the mountains will run with new wine and the hills will flow with milk, and all the stream-beds of Judah will run with water. A fountain will spring from Yahweh's Temple and water the Gorge of the Acacias.
- NRSV, 4:18