Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes:
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.
- Better build schoolrooms for "the boy"
Than cells and gibbets for "the man."
- Eliza Cook, A Song for Ragged Schools (1853)
- Mad about the boy,
It's pretty funny but I'm mad about the boy.
He has a gay appeal
That makes me feel
There may be something sad about the boy.
- You are a human boy, my young friend. A human boy.
O glorious to be a human boy!...
O running stream of sparkling joy
To be a soaring human boy!
- Charles Dickens, Bleak House (1853), Ch. 19.
- When boys go first to bed,
They step into their voluntary graves.
- George Herbert, Mortification (1633)
- Virginibus puerisque canto.
- I sing for maidens and boys.
- Horace, Odes, Book III, ode i, line 4.
- When you can't do anything else to a boy, you can make him wash his face.
- E. W. Howe, Travel Letters from New Zealand, Australia and Africa (1913), p. 120
- Boys believe nothing can hurt them, his doubt whispered. Grown men know better.
- George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings, Theon (I)—Theon Greyjoy
- What boy does not wish to find secret powers hidden in himself?
- George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings, Bran (IV)–Maester Luwin
- No one has the right to make a boy learn Latin, because learning is a matter for individual choice; but if in a Latin class, a boy fools all the time, the class should throw him out, because he interferes with the freedom of others.
- A. S. Neill, Summerhill (1960)
- I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy, playing on the sea shore, and diverting myself, in now and then finding a smoother pebble, or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.
- Isaac Newton, just before his death, as quoted in The Annual Review, and History of Literature for 1806, Vol. V (1807), Ch. 14, Art. XIV (Memoirs of Sir Isaac Newton by Edmund Turnor), p. 471
- Boys and girls should be taught respect for each other's liberty; they should be made to feel that nothing gives one human being rights over another, and that jealousy and possessiveness kill love.
- Bertrand Russell, What I Believe (1925)
- I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating a smaller boy. I expostulated, but he replied: "The bigs hit me, so I hit the babies; that's fair." In these words he epitomized the history of the human race.
- Bertrand Russell, Education and the Social Order (1932)
- Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games.
- Robert Falcon Scott, last letter to his wife, quoted in Scott's Last Expedition, Vol. I (1913), Ch. 20
- The senshi are very sexy, and boys like it. In Japan, moreover, boys are quite weak and they search for a strong partner. They want to be dominated, and the senshi are ready to do it.
- Maybe what a lot of authors don't understand is the masochistic component of boys. They write love stories that are now outdated.
- Naoko Takeuchi 
- O formose puer, nimium ne crede colori.
- O charming boy, trust not too much in thy beauty.
- Virgil, Eclogues (37 BC), Book II, line 17.
- Macte nova virtute, puer, sic itur ad astra.