Breaking Away is a 1979 film about a small-town teen obsessed with the Italian cycling team who vies for the affections of a college girl. He and his friends enter a bicycle relay race against intramural college teams.
- No, I don't feel lucky to be alive! I feel lucky I'm not dead. There's a difference.
- I didn't want you to be this miserable. A little bit's all I asked for.
- I was proud of my work. And the buildings went up. When they were finished the damnedest thing happened. It was like the buildings were too good for us. Nobody told us that. It just felt uncomfortable, that's all.
- Everybody cheats. I just didn't know.
- I was sure I was going to get that scholarship. My dad of course was sure I wasn't. When I didn't, he was real understanding, you know. He loves to do that. He loves to be understanding when I fail.
- You know, I used to think I was a really great quarterback in high school. Still think so, too. Can't even bring myself to light a cigarette 'cause I keep thinkin' I gotta stay in shape. You know what really gets me, though? I mean, here I am, I gotta live in this stinkin' town, and I gotta read in the newspapers about some hot-shot kid, new star of the college team. Every year, it's gonna be a new one. Every year it's never gonna be me. I'm just gonna be Mike. Twenty year-old Mike. Thirty year-old Mike. Old, mean old man Mike. These college kids out here - they're never gonna get old or out of shape 'cause new ones come along every year. And they're gonna keep calling us 'Cutters'. To them, it's just a dirty word. To me, it's just somethin' else I never got a chance to be.
- Raymond: [about Dave] He's never tired. He's never miserable.
- Evelyn: He's young.
- Raymond: When I was young I was tired and miserable.
- Raymond: [about Dave] What are we gonna do about him?
- Evelyn: I don't know dear. We could always strangle him while he's asleep.
- Raymond: What is this?
- Evelyn: It's sauteed zucchini.
- Raymond: It's I-tey food. I don't want no I-tey food.
- Evelyn: It's not. I got it at the A&P. It's like... squash.
- Raymond: I know I-tey food when I hear it! It's all them "eenie" foods... zucchini... and linguine... and fettuccine. I want some American food, damn it! I want French fries!
- Dave: Did you ever go to confession?
- Moocher: Twice.
- Dave: Did it make you feel better?
- Moocher: Once.
- Raymond: You guys still go swimmin' in the quarries?
- Dave: Sure.
- Raymond: So, the only thing you got to show for my 20 years of work is the holes we left behind?
- Dave: You mean we might be a father?
- Raymond: No. I might be a father. And your mom might be a mother. And YOU might be a brother. See, that way I keep it all in the family.
- Moocher: Wow! Hey, I didn't think people your age...
- Raymond: The next word may be your last, kid!
- Mike: [after discovering that the college kids beat Cyril up] They want a fight, we'll give 'em a fight.
- Cyril: We rednecks are few... college paleface students are many. I counsel peace.
- Somewhere between growing up and settling down...
- The movie that tells you exactly what you can do with your high school diploma!
- Dennis Christopher - Dave Stoller
- Dennis Quaid - Mike
- Daniel Stern - Cyril
- Jackie Earle Haley - Moocher
- Barbara Barrie - Evelyn Stoller
- Paul Dooley - Raymond Stoller
- Robyn Douglass - Katherine
- Hart Bochner - Rod
- Amy Wright - Nancy
- P.J. Soles - Suzy