Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (film)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a 2009 American computer-animated science fiction comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation and about a town where food falls from the sky like rain. It stars the voices of Bill Hader and Anna Faris.
- Directed and written by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, based on the novel by Judi Barret and Ron Barrett.
- [first lines; narrating] Have you ever felt like you were a little bit different, like you had something unique to offer the world if you could just get people to see it? Then you know exactly how it felt... to be... me.
- [narrating] I wanted to run away that day… but you can't run away from your own feet.
- It's okay, it's just pain.
- Come on, Steve. We've got a diem to carpe!
- Flint, this is amazing! And designing the ice cream to accumulate into scoops? I don't know how you're gonna top this!
- Thanks, Patrick. Okay, everyone, you're not going to believe this one, but I'm standing in the middle of a burger rain. You can have seen a meteor shower, but you have never seen a shower "meatier" than this. For a town stuck eating sardines, this is totally made out from heaven.
- My forecast? Sunny... side up.
- Hey! This mess we're in is all our faults. Me, I didn't even protect my own son. Look, I'm as mad at Flint as you are. In fact, when he gets out of that car, I'm gonna slap him in the face! I know Flint Lockwood made the food, but it was made to order, and now it's time for all of us to pay the bill.
- My chest hairs are tingling. Something's wrong.
- Do you see my beautiful angel son, Cal?
- [repeated line] Uh, oh!
- [running while carrying a pair of giant scissors] I really shouldn't be running with these!
- I'm not Baby Brent anymore. I'm Chicken Brent, and I'm finally contributing to society!
- Oh, I don't know, I think they're kinda cute. I mean, this one just walked right up to me and– [Suddenly, a chicken eats Brent alive; Brent shrieked in terror] HE'S GOT ME!!
- Yikes! What is that, a scrunchie? I haven't seen one of those since 1995.
- Sam: This food weather was created intentionally by meek-ish backyard tinkerer, Flint Lockwood.
- Officer Earl: [shocked] Flint Lockwood!?
- Flint: [nervously] Hi…
- Earl: [tackles Flint in anger] YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR RUINING SARDINE LAND!!
- Sam: Flint, those burgers were amazing.
- Earl: You see this contact lens, Flint Lockwood?
- Flint: Mm-hmm.
- Earl: This contact lens represents you!
- Flint: All right.
- Earl: And my eye represents my eye!
- Flint: Okay.
- Earl: [puts on the contact lens] I've got my eye on... you.
- Flint: Oh, my gosh! A jaywalker.
- Earl: Hey!
- Flint: I've never actually been in a snowball fight.
- Sam: Really?
- Flint: I don't even know the rules. Is there like a point system or is it... to the death?
- Sam: No. You never...? I mean, look, even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs. Oh, ew.
- Sam: I scream, you scream, we all scream for Flint Lockwood’s latest tasty town-wide treat, with flurries of frozen fun on what the mayor declared to be an ice cream snow day. He’d also like invite everyone in the world to catch a cruise liner and come on down this Saturday for the grand opening of Chewandswallow, a town that is truly a la mode.
- French Weather Reporter: ...A la mode. [translation: ""]
- Arabic Weather Reporter: ...A la mode. [translation: ""]
- British Weather Reporter: A town that is truly topped with ice cream.
- Sam: [finishing report] ...with today's scoop for the Weather News Network, I'm Sam Sparks!
- Sam: Can you keep a secret?
- Flint: No. [awkward pause] But this time, sure. Yeah.
- Sam: [sighs] Okay. It was a really long time ago, but I too was... a nerd.
- Flint: [blankly] "Too"?
- Sam: When I was a little girl, I wear a ponytail and glasses, and I was totally obsessed with the science of weather.
- [Flashback starts to a young Sam]
- Sam: [voice over] Other girls wanted a Barbie, I wanted a Doppler Weather Radar 2000 Turbo. But all the kids used to taunt me with this lame song. It wasn’t even clever! [Young Sam finishes an equation at school in class and the kids start to mock her singing a song]
- Flashback Kids: [singing] Four eyes! Four eyes! You need glasses to see!
- [Flashback ends, Flint snickers and Sam looks at him]
- Flint: Go on.
- Sam: So, I got a new look, gave the science-y smart stuff, and I was never made fun of again. [takes her glasses out her pocket] And I still need these glasses, but I never wear them.
- Flint: I bet you'll look great with glasses on.
- Tim: So, no roof?
- Flint: Yup. You just hold out your plate, and I even made it rain your favorite: meat. Mmmmm. Okay. So, you know how the grand reopening of the town is tomorrow? Well, the mayor has asked me to cut the ribbon. He said my invention saved the town! Aren’t you proud of me?
- Tim: Well... Doesn’t this steak look a little big to you?
- Flint: Yeah, it’s a big steak. Every steak is not exactly the same size. Did you even hear what I just said?
- Tim: Son, look around. I’m not sure this is good for people. Maybe you should think about turning this thing off.
- Flint: [stunned in anger] It’s making everybody happy! Everybody, except YOU! When are you going to accept that this is who I am instead of trying to get me to work in some boring tackle shop?!?
- Tim: [got heartbroken by his punishment] Well, you seem like you know what you’re doing, then. I guess I’ll just get out of your way. [Tim sadly leaves. The steak falls off Flint’s head. At the tackleshop, a fish being ground up into chum. Tim, alone, sadly working the chum grinder. Suddenly, hot dogs began to fall. One hits the "And Son" Tim tacked onto the tackle shop sign and knocks it to the ground]
- Flint: [sees spaghetti tornado] Mamma mia.
- Sam: We need a doctor! Is anyone here a doctor? Anyone?
- Manny: I am a doctor.
- Sam: You are?
- Manny: I was, back in Guatemala. I came here for a better life. Pretty great decision, eh?
- Manny: You are going to need a co-pilot.
- Sam: You are a pilot, too?
- Manny: Yes. I am also a particle physicist.
- Sam: Really?
- Manny: No, that was a joke. I am also a comedian. [Flint and Sam laugh]
- Flint: [Hanging from a licorice rope held by Sam, who is swelling up from her peanut allergy] Let go, Sam.
- Sam: But you'll be stuck down there forever.
- Flint: It's not ideal, no.
- Sam: Come with us, Flint. We'll live underground, and use bacon for clothes.
- Flint: That's not a very good plan, Sam.
- Sam: It is if I don't have to lose you. Look, I like you, okay?
- Flint: Like... Like as a friend?
- Sam: No, like "like you" like you.
- Flint: Me too. I mean, about you. [bites through rope and drops] Goodbye, Sam.
- Sam: Flint! No!
- Brent: Hang on Sam! Dr. Manny's got the medicine for your face!
- [last lines]
- Flint: Sam.
- Sam: Flint.
- Flint: Sam.
- Sam: Flint.
- Tim: Flint.
- Flint: Dad.
- Steve: Steve!
- Tim: Flint. [sighs] Look, when you... when you cast your line... if it's not straight, um...
- Sam: Oh, for crying out loud. [puts Flint's Monkey Thought Translator on Tim's head]
- Tim: [in a robotic voice] I'm proud of you, Flint. I'm amazed that someone as ordinary as me could be the father of someone as extraordinary as you. You're talented, you're a total original, and your lab is breathtaking. Your mom, she, uh, always knew you were going to be special. And if she were alive today, she'd tell us both, "I told you so." Now, uh, look, when I take this thing off, and... you hear me make a fishing metaphor, just know that fishing metaphor means... [Tim takes off the Monkey Translator and speaks in a normal voice] I love my son.
- Flint: I love you too, Dad.
- [the crowd applauds]
- Shelbourne: This was not well thought out.
- Bill Hader - Flint Lockwood
- Max Neuwirth (young)
- Anna Faris - Sam Sparks
- Neil Patrick Harris - Steve
- James Caan - Tim Lockwood
- Andy Samberg - "Baby" Brent
- Bruce Campbell - Mayor Shelbourne
- Bobb'e J. Thompson - Calvin "Cal" Deveraux
- Mr. T - Officer Earl Devereaux
- Benjamin Bratt - Manny
- Al Roker - Patrick Patrickson
- Lauren Graham - Fran Lockwood
- Will Forte - Joe Towne
- Angela Shelton - Regina Devereaux