Downfall (2004 film)
Downfall (German: Der Untergang) is a 2004 German war film directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, depicting the final ten days of Adolf Hitler's reign over Nazi Germany in 1945, from the perspective of his secretary, Traudl Junge.
- In a war as such this, there are no civilians.
- The war is lost. But, if you think that I'll leave Berlin for that, you are sadly mistaken. I'd prefer to put a bullet in my head.
- I always make mistakes when I'm dictating.
- Tomorrow millions of people will curse me, but fate has taken its course.
- [Believing Goering's offer to take power is a coup] The loser, the sponge. A parvenu, a lazy bones! How dare he say I'm incapacitated? The Luftwaffe, what did he turn that into? For that alone, he should be executed! This morphine addict corrupted the country! And now this, he's betraying me. ME OF ALL PEOPLE!
- [upon discovering that Himmler has been negotiating with the Western Allies behind his back] Out of all people, Himmler? The truest of the true. THIS IS THE WORST BETRAYAL OF ALL! Goering, of course, he was always corrupt. Speer, a genius, unpredictable artist. All the others: Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! But Himmler, no. Has he gone insane? He claimed authority by saying I was sick! OR MAYBE EVEN DEAD!
- [Screaming after Steiner didn't attack as ordered] Traitors! I've been betrayed and deceived from the very beginning! What a monstrous betrayal of the German people, but all those traitors will pay. They'll pay with their own blood. They shall drown in their own blood!
- I feel no sympathy. I repeat, I FEEL NO SYMPATHY! The German people chose their fate. That may surprise some people. Don't fool yourself. We didn't force the German people. They gave us a mandate, and now their little throats are being cut!
- I won't use my final hours as Reich Chancellor to sign a statement of surrender!
- Surrender? Never! This is outrageous! I've conquered Berlin against the Reds several years ago, and will defend the city to the last breath against them! The few hours that I've yet to live as German Chancellor, I will not use it to put my signature on a document of surrender!
- I repeat: I will never sign to a surrender!
- My children cannot grow up in a world without National Socialism.
- You think the leader doesn't know? He'll never surrender, and neither will we. I've been through that once. NEVER AGAIN!
- My leader, keep faith in the final victory. Lead us and we shall follow!
- Adolf Hitler: Koller, do you know that Berlin is under artillery fire?
- Koller: No.
- Adolf Hitler: Can't you hear the shelling?
- Koller: No, I'm in Widepark Werder.
- Adolf Hitler: Berlin is chaotic. Apparently, the Russians have captured a railway bridge over the Oder.
- Koller: The enemy has no railway artillery near the Oder. (Looks at a notice) That's not long range artillery. The Flak and Zoobunkers say the shells are only 10 and 12 cm in caliber, meaning the Russians are closer. The Russians have positions near Marzahn.
- Adolf Hitler: That's only 12 kilometers from the city center! Are the Russians that close? They should hang the entire Luftwaffe leadership! (hangs up) This is unheard of, unheard of! The Russians are 12 kilometers from the city center. Nobody told me anything. I had to ask.
- Krebs: Maybe it is long range artillery after all. You mentioned that railway bridge over the Oder...
- Adolf Hitler: Nonsense!
- Wilhelm Keitel: I know I'm repeating myself, but the 9th Army must retreat! Otherwise it will be surrounded and wiped out! We must...
- Adolf Hitler: The 9th Army will not retreat! Tell Busse to fight where he stands!
- Alfred Jodl: My Fuhrer, then the 9th Army is lost.
- Adolf Hitler: We'll push back the Soviet armies in the north and east with a ruthless, almighty attack.
- Alfred Jodl: Using which units?
- Adolf Hitler: Steiner will attack from the north and join 9th Army.
- Hans Krebs: The 9th Army is unable to move north. The enemy outnumbers us by ten to one!
- Adolf Hitler: Wenck! He'll support them with the 12th Army.
- Alfred Jodl: But my Fuhrer, the 12th Army is moving west to the Elbe!
- Adolf Hitler: Then tell them to turn around!
- Alfred Jodl: Then the Western Front will be open!
- Adolf Hitler: Do you doubt my orders? It's final! I think I've been clear enough!
- Wilhelm Keitel: The Fuhrer has lost all sense of reality.
- Alfred Jodl: He's moving divisions around that exist only on his map. Steiner's unit can hardly defend itself yet he wants Steiner to attack! It's madness!
- Hermann Fegelein: So why don't you tell him that?
- Wilhelm Keitel: He doesn't listen to reason.
- Hermann Fegelein: Something has to happen.
- Wilhelm Keitel: Are you crazy? He'll throw us out, like Rundstedt and Guderian.
- Hermann Fegelein: Yes, and?
- Alfred Jodl: We're soldiers, we took an oath!
- Herman Fegelein: Does that prevent us from using our brains?
- Wilhelm Burgdorf: And that's coming from you? An opportunist? A ruthless careerist?
- Hermann Fegeléin: Pardon?
- Traudl Junge: Is it German artillery that I hear?
- Otto Günsche: I'm afraid not.
- Traudl Junge: But hasn't Steiner's attack started?
- Hermann Fegelein: You have to go as fast as you can. Time is running out.
- Traudl Junge: But the Fuhrer has the situation under control. Steiner will make all the difference. He says it will change military history.
- Hermann Fegelein: Everybody, the Fuhrer, knows that's a fantasy. I even wonder if he believes it himself.
- Traudl Junge: Why would he be playing games?
- Hermann Fegelein: What does he have to lose?
- Gerda Christian: I don't believe a word of it.
- Hans Krebs: The enemy made a breakthrough. They took Zossen and are advancing towards Stahnsdorf. They're at the northern city border, between Frohnau and Pankow. In the east, they reached Lichtenberg, Mahlsdorf and Karlshorst.
- Adolf Hitler: If Steiner attacks, everything will be alright.
- Hans Krebs: Mein Fuhrer... Steiner...
- Alfred Jodl:Steiner didn't have enough men. The attack didn't take place.
- [Hitler pauses to take off his glasses]
- Adolf Hitler: The following stay here: Keitel, Jodl, Krebs and Burgdorf. (The four named generals, along with Goebbels and Bormann, remain in the room as the others leave. The door closes behind them) That was an order! Steiner's attack was an order! How dare you ignore my orders?! (Hitler's ranting is clearly audible outside the room) Is this what it came to? The military, everybody lied to me. Even the SS! The generals are no more than a bunch of disloyal cowards!
- Burgdorf: Mein Furher, I can't permit you to insult the German soldiers-
- Adolf Hitler: They are all cowards, traitors and failures!
- Burgdorf: This is outrageous!
- Adolf Hitler: The generals are the scum of the German people! (flings a pencil onto the table) NO SENSE OF HONOUR! You call yourself general because you spent years at the academy, where you only learned how to use a knife and fork! For years, the military obstructed me. All you ever did is thwart me. What I should have done, is had all the high officers executed, like Stalin did! (pauses) I never went to the academy. But I conquered all of Europe on my own. Traitors! I've been betrayed and deceived from the start. Such enormous betrayal of the German people. But all these traitors will pay. They will pay with their own blood! They will drown in their blood!
- Traudl Junge: (To Gerda, outside the room) Gerda, please calm yourself.
- Adolf Hitler: All my orders have been ignored. How can I be a leader under these circumstances? It's over. The war is lost. But if you think this means I'll leave Berlin... you're wrong. I'd rather shoot a bullet through my head. [sighs] Do whatever you want.
- Gunsche:We cannot find Gruppenfuhrer Fegelein. He is not in the bunker
- Adolf Hitler: What do you mean "not in the bunker"? Then look for him. I want Fegelein to be brought to me at once! If he's gone AWOL, it's desertion! Treason! Bring me Fegelein! (rises and bangs his fist on the table each time he shouts "Fegelein") FEGELEIN! FEGELEIN! FEGELEIN!
- Adolf Hitler: Frau Junge, Frau Christian. Get changed. In one hour, a plane will take you south. Everything is lost. Completely lost.
- Eva Braun: You know I'll stay with you. You can't send me away.
- Traudl Junge: I'm staying too, mein Fuhrer.
- April 1945, a nation awaits its...
- Bruno Ganz - Adolf Hitler
- Alexandra Maria Lara - Traudl Junge
- Ulrih Matthes - Joseph Goebbels
- Corinna Harfouch - Magda Goebbels
- Juliane Köhler - Eva Braun
- Thomas Kretschmann - SS-Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein
- Heino Ferch - Albert Speer
- Christian Berkel - Ernst-Günther Schenck
- André Hennicke - SS-Brigadeführer Wilhelm Mohnke
- Götz Otto - Sturmbannführer Otto Günsche
- Ulrich Noethen - Reichsführer SS Heinrich Himmler
- Christian Redl - Generaloberst Alfred Jodl
- Rolf Kanies - Chief of the Army General Staff Hans Krebs
- Michael Mendl - General Helmuth Weidling
- Matthias Habich - Prof. Dr. Werner Hasse
- Birgit Minichmayr - Gerda Christian
- Dietrich Hollinderbäumer - Generalfeldmarschall Robert Ritter von Greim
- Dieter Mann - Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel
- Justus von Dohnányi - Adolf Hitler's chief adjutant Wilhelm Burgdorf
- Gerald Alexander Held - Walther Hewel
- Thomas Thieme - Martin Bormann
- Donevan Gunia - Peter Kranz
- Hans Steinberg - Karl Koller
- Heinrich Schmieder - Oberscharführer Rochus Misch
- Igor Romanov - Obersturmbannführer Peter Högl
- Igor Bubenchikov - Franz Schädle
- Anna Thalbach - Hanna Reisch