Fate/stay night (フェイト/ステイナイト, Feito/sutei naito) is a Japanese visual novel developed by Type-Moon, which was originally released as an adult game for the PC. An all-ages version of Fate/stay night, titled Fate/stay night Réalta Nua, was released for the PlayStation 2 on April 19, 2007, and features the seiyu from the anime series. On October 28, 2005, Type-Moon released a sequel to Fate/stay night, entitled Fate/hollow ataraxia, its plot is set half a year after the events of Fate/stay night.
Fate/stay night has made transitions into other media. A manga series based on the visual novel was first serialized in the Japanese magazine Shōnen Ace and published by Kadokawa. The manga is illustrated by Japanese artist Nishiwaki Datto and is currently ongoing. In 2007 the manga was licensed for an English-language release in North America by Tokyopop. A twenty-four episode anime series created by Studio Deen aired in Japan between January 6, 2006, and June 16, 2006. The anime series were initially licensed and released in North America by Geneon Entertainment, however On July 3, 2008 Geneon Entertainment and Funimation Entertainment announced an agreement to distribute select titles in North America including Fate/stay night. On November 22, 2006, Type-Moon announced a series of light novels entitled Fate/Zero, set as is a prequel to Fate/stay night. There have been four video games based on the series to date. Three fighting games have been released, Fate/unlimited codes for arcades and PlayStation2, Fate/tiger colosseum and its sequel Fate/tiger colosseum Upper for PSP. A PSP RPG entitled Fate/Extra was released on July 22, 2010. A Fate/stay night film was also created by Studio Deen and was released in Japanese theaters on January 23, 2010.
"I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death
Nor known to life
Have let many die for the sake of my fame
Yet those hands shall never hold anything
So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."
"Your ideals will die along with you."
- "Farewell. Drown in your ideals and die."
- "Atone for my sins? [....] I have no sins to atone for, nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone."
- "Yes, the seats are limited. There are always fewer seats called happiness than there are people to fill them"
- "Fortunately, I do not have any pride. But what about it? Will the name of the hero be disgraced? Hah, don’t make me laugh, Lancer. You can wash away disgrace with results. You can feed your meaningless pride to the dogs."
- "That's right! I admired his desire to save people because it was beautiful! But none of that feeling is my own! What else can you call it but hypocrisy?! I was driven by my obsessive need to help someone. I kept running, neither noticing the pain nor how wrong I was! But it's all a fake. Such hypocrisy can not save anything. No, first of all, I didn't even know what I wanted to save!"
- "I guess he is tough as the legends say..."
- My defeat may be inevitable...But you'll still have to work for it, Berserker! In the meantime, I'm gonna take 2 more of your lives!
- Emiya Shirou! Listen, you are not "one who fights." You are nothing more than "one who creates." Don't think of irrelevant things. There is only one thing you can do, master that one thing. Do not forget. The thing you image is always "your strongest self." You don't need any other enemies. The opponent you have to fight is none other than "your own image."
"I am the bone of my sword
Steel is my body and fire is my blood
I have created over a thousand blades
Unaware of Loss
Nor aware of gain
Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival
I have no regrets. This is the only path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
- "---I Have to find out what Fuji-Nee's up to. For the peace of our dinner, and for Saber, who's secretly looking forward to it!"
- It makes no difference if it’s eternal or instantaneous. Eternity is instantaneous and an instant is eternal. Therefore, he does not care how rare this miracle is.
- Here I come, King of Heroes. Do you have enough weapons in stock?
I don't mind losing to anyone, but I will not lose to myself!!
- "Blue sky is in the distance.It feels so close.Yet, I cannot grab it even if I reach out with my hands I looked up at the stars before. The stars that I cannot reach and the wishes that will not be granted. There is nothing we have been able to leave behind for each other. Therefore, traces and memories will disappear someday. But still.. Even if it will not reach her, there should be something that will remain in our hearts. There is nothing that remains in our hands, but we lived the same time and looked up at the same things. If I can remember that… I can believe that we can be together even if we are far apart."
- "That is why I will keep running for now. If I aim for the distance, there should come a day when I would be able to reach out to what I have been aiming for."
- I'm home. What, are you greeting me in an apron? You look pretty good in it."
... She's scary. People who can put on a serious face while joking are the scariest.
- "...Yes, the desire to protect something... is, at the same time, none other than the wish for something to violate it."
- "But that's enough. If there is overwhelming power and speed, there is no room for technique. Techniques are something humans invented to compensate for their weaknesses."
- "If you walk down the path that you believe is right, you cannot be wrong."
- Someday my memories will fade...and her voice, her actions, I might forget them as well, but I will always remember that I loved Saber
- I love Saber, I want her to be happier than anyone... I wish that we could be together forever... HOWEVER...if I really do love her...then that's wrong...I loved saber who bore many wounds yet still fought through everything... I CANNOT ALLOW MYSELF TO STAIN HER PRIDE.
- It feels so close to me, yet I can't grasp it even if I extend my hands. Even so ... Even if I can't reach it ... there are things that will stay in my heart. Being in the same time and looking up at the same sky, If I can remember that, then even when we are apart from each other, I believe that we can be together. I will run forward now. If i set my goal far enough, then someday .. I'll be able to reach what I aimed for.
- If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance.
- People will eventually die, and death itself is sad. But pain shouldn't be the only thing that remains. A death is painful, but it also leaves behind bright memories. As I am bound be these people's deaths...As I am protected by my memories of Kiritsugu...I believe memories become constraints and change the people living now.
- Every time I say such a miracle is impossible, tears pour out from vexation. I wonder why 'miracles' wishing for such normal happiness are too much for people.
- "You are a hateful woman. You oppose me to the very end. But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained."
- "Oh, immortality. Heh, I gave that to the snake."
- "Will you embrace me like you did that night?"
- "... a man without fear cannot be wise."
"I am Arthur, King of the Britons."
Thy body shall be under my command,
my fate shall be determined by thy sword!
Follow the call of the Holy Grail.
If thou wouldst obey this mind and this reason, obey me!
Then I shall entrust my fate to your sword...!"
- "The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."
- "Those who aim further for other's sake. Those who think of others before themselves. And those who hate themselves more than anyone. These are the qualities of a Magus. This is a contradiction you can only have if you are born broken."
- "Y-ou, get lost in your afterlife, you damn priest...!! You have no place to be, okay!? Even hell wouldn't take a bastard like you!"
- "An impotent guy like you should lay on needles in hell...!!!"
- "Look, Emiya-kun. People normally die when they are killed."
- "It's meaningless to be the king if all humans are eliminated!"
- "You're an eyesore, you get in my way, you annoy me, and I hate the way you look. You're like some backwoods hag with that purple robe of yours."
- "Heroes always die due to unreasonable orders."
- "It is the path you have chosen. Take pride in it."
- "Rejoice, Emiya Shirou. Your wish will finally come true."
- "Then do not regret it. People cannot change the past. All we can do is to accept our own actions. If you still wish to be burdened by your sins, let it show in your future actions. It is your choice how to perceive something that has already happened."
- "Your most noble aspirations and your most despicable desires all flow from the same source."
- This world is one of equal exchanges. Wishing for some special event means feeding on something to make it possible. Wishes will not come true if you worry about harmony.
- Saving someone means not saving someone else
- "In short, a king is someone that kills everyone to protect everyone." in an interlude/intermission.
- "Shirou's lamentations pierce her heart. He said that the tears would go away. That the pain would go away. That the heaviness in her heart would go away as well... That is salvation by elimination. But...If everything were made to never have happened, what would happen to all the things taken away?" in an intermission.
The Dream Never End
"A battle has been fought, and is now over.
Place your sword upon the ground, and rest in the temporal peace.
After dozing in the warmth of a dream, a new day will begin.
The days keep passing by...
And we still chase the same star we once saw."
Walking with the wind blowing on your face.
Walking towards the future.
Busy days with no compass to guide you.
After traveling to distant exotic countries…
You will return to where you belong, one sunny day.
The Gate of Heaven
The sage cries out.
“Open, Gates of heaven. Bless us and bestow miracles upon us!”
The sage cries out in regret.
“Close, Gates of heaven. Save us from all our sins and evil!”
The curtain closes.
The millennium comes to a standstill.
Our dreams, our hope... was a forbidden “failure” from the start.
The stars fall out of the sky.
Space closes up into nothingness.
The pathway to the center is shrouded along with our sins.
.....I am, at last, filled with joy.
All has been engulfed by darkness.
Nothing can hurt you now.
At last, you have been set free from the pain that you carried for so long.
You may now rest, without a worry on mind.
The Return of Spring 
So the winter went by, and spring came along.
Nature is in its full bloom, and there is nothing left that reminds you of the hard cold days.
Stash away both what you lost and gained, for life continues on.
The story that unraveled in this town has reached its conclusion.
New stages and people are waiting for us...