Fear of God
- Sorted alphabetically by author or source
- Abraham said, "Because I thought, surely there is no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife. "Besides, she actually is my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife; and it came about, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is the kindness which you will show to me: everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother."
- Abraham, Genesis 20:11-13
- Fear only two: God, and the man who has no fear of God.
- Anonymous Hasidic proverb, quoted in Raising Cain: How the Bible Shapes the Things You Say, B&H Publishing Group, 2013, p. 143.
- The only God-ordained fear is the fear of God, and if we fear Him, we don't have to fear anyone or anything else.
- First of all you – you fucking fake Christians – don’t fucking question my Christianity. I grew up in the church. My grandfather was a minister, who is with God now and talks to me in my dreams from God’s corner office. I am a former Sunday school teacher. I taught the Bible to children and showed them how to love God and invite him into their hearts. I believe in God – but I don’t fear him. God is my best friend. God is my ally. God is my boyfriend. God is my best fag. I am God’s fag hag cuz didn’t you know, God is a big fag. Serious bottom too. Butch in the streets, femme in the sheets. That is my God. God is my biggest fan. God gets me, dude.
- God wants us all to just get along. He doesn’t give a shit about the profanity. The bitch fucking invented profanity. He thinks it is hilarious. He just wants you to talk to him, and he doesn’t care what you have to say. He just wants to keep the conversation going. Like Jay-Z, he just wants to love you. He just wants you to be able to make your own decisions. God is all about you and what you need. God is happy that you are gay. God made you fucking gay cuz he thinks it is awesome. God understands if you need to have an abortion. That is why he created abortion, on the 8th day. God accepts. God forgives. God loves all of us, even though some of us might have a problem with each other.
- The fear of God is described as the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs (1:7)). Finally, when everything has been heard, fear God and keep His commands for this is the whole of human condition: God judges every deed, even secret ones, to see if it is good or bad.
- Henceforth the majesty of God revere;
Fear Him, and you have nothing else to fear.
- James Fordyce Answer to a Gentleman who apologized to the Author for Swearing. Compare: "Je crains Dieu, cher Abner, et n'ai point d'autre crainte" (translated: "I fear God, dear Abner, and I have no other fear"), Jean Racine, Athalie, act i. sc. 1 (1639–1699); "From Piety, whose soul sincere/ Fears God, and knows no other fear", W. Smyth, Ode for the Installation of the Duke of Gloucester as Chancellor of Cambridge.
- Many a man eating meat, but observing the cardinal virtues of compassion and truth, and living in the fear of God, is a better Hindu than a hypocrite who abstains from meat.
- Magneto: Are you a God-fearing man, Senator? It's such a strange phrase. I've always thought of God as a teacher. As a bringer of light, wisdom and understanding. You see, l think what you really are afraid of is me. Me and my kind. The brotherhood of mutants. It's not so surprising, really. Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand. Well, don't fear God, Senator, and certainly don't fear me. Not any more.
- Who will not really fear you, Jehovah, and glorify your name, because you alone are loyal?
- The medieval philosophers, however, while agreeing that the fear of God is central importance, are at pains to stress that it should not be founded on fear of punishment. They distinguish two kinds of fear, a lower type which is fear of pain, and a higher type which is what we would call reverence or awe: the feeling one has about someone who is incomparably more elevated than oneself.
- Louis Jacobs, in “Jewish Theology” quoted in “Introduction to Judaism”.
- In every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
- The Fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him.
- The fear of Jehovah is pure, lasting forever.
The judgments of Jehovah are true, altogether righteous.
- The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom.
All those observing his orders show good insight.
- Allah is to be feared by the true Believers for: There is none in the heavens and the earth but cometh unto the Beneficent as a slave; whoever fears God, everything fears him, but whoever fears other than God, God makes him g fear everything.
- O Believers, do not be hasty and forward in Allah and His Messenger’s presence but instead fear Allah; for verily. Allah is Hearer and Knower.
- God is the All-Compassionate, the Most Merciful and the Most Just. Therefore, faer of God implies showing respect to Him, the All-Compassionate, the Most Merciful, and the Most Just, and avoiding exceeding His limits, rebelling Him and being of those who deserve His punishment.
- Most intellectual people do not believe in God, but they fear him just the same.
- Wilhelm Reich, in James Lee Christian Philosophy : An Introduction to the Art of Wondering, (2005), p. 556.
- Fear God. Honour the King.
- I Peter, II. 17
- One should preach not from one's rational mind but rather from the heart. Only that which is from the heart can touch another heart. One must never attack or oppose anyone. If he who preaches must tell people to keep away from a certain kind of evil, he must do so meekly and humbly, with fear of God.
- Encyclopedic article on Fear of God at Wikipedia