Fear of God
- Sorted alphabetically by author or source
- Fear only two: God, and the man who has no fear of God.
- Anonymous Hasidic proverb, quoted in Raising Cain: How the Bible Shapes the Things You Say, B&H Publishing Group, 2013, p. 143.
- The only God-ordained fear is the fear of God, and if we fear Him, we don't have to fear anyone or anything else.
- Day of judgement, god is calling
on their knees the war pigs crawling.
Begging mercy for their sins,
Satan, laughing, spreads his wings...Oh lord, yeah!
- First of all you – you fucking fake Christians – don’t fucking question my Christianity. I grew up in the church. My grandfather was a minister, who is with God now and talks to me in my dreams from God’s corner office. I am a former Sunday school teacher. I taught the Bible to children and showed them how to love God and invite him into their hearts. I believe in God – but I don’t fear him. God is my best friend. God is my ally. God is my boyfriend. God is my best fag. I am God’s fag hag cuz didn’t you know, God is a big fag. Serious bottom too. Butch in the streets, femme in the sheets. That is my God. God is my biggest fan. God gets me, dude.
- God wants us all to just get along. He doesn’t give a shit about the profanity. The bitch fucking invented profanity. He thinks it is hilarious. He just wants you to talk to him, and he doesn’t care what you have to say. He just wants to keep the conversation going. Like Jay-Z, he just wants to love you. He just wants you to be able to make your own decisions. God is all about you and what you need. God is happy that you are gay. God made you fucking gay cuz he thinks it is awesome. God understands if you need to have an abortion. That is why he created abortion, on the 8th day. God accepts. God forgives. God loves all of us, even though some of us might have a problem with each other.
- The fear of God is described as the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs (1:7)). Finally, when everything has been heard, fear God and keep His commands for this is the whole of human condition: God judges every deed, even secret ones, to see if it is good or bad.
- Many a man eating meat, but observing the cardinal virtues of compassion and truth, and living in the fear of God, is a better Hindu than a hypocrite who abstains from meat.
- Who will not really fear you, Jehovah, and glorify your name, because you alone are loyal?
- The medieval philosophers, however, while agreeing that the fear of God is central importance, are at pains to stress that it should not be founded on fear of punishment. They distinguish two kinds of fear, a lower type which is fear of pain, and a higher type which is what we would call reverence or awe: the feeling one has about someone who is incomparably more elevated than oneself.
- Louis Jacobs, in “Jewish Theology” quoted in “Introduction to Judaism”.
- In every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
- The Fear of God is healthful; it is an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him.
- The fear of Jehovah is pure, lasting forever.
The judgments of Jehovah are true, altogether righteous.
- The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom.
All those observing his orders show good insight.
- Allah is to be feared by the true Believers for: There is none in the heavens and the earth but cometh unto the Beneficent as a slave; whoever fears God, everything fears him, but whoever fears other than God, God makes him g fear everything.
- O Believers, do not be hasty and forward in Allah and His Messenger’s presence but instead fear Allah; for verily. Allah is Hearer and Knower.
- God is the All-Compassionate, the Most Merciful and the Most Just. Therefore, faer of God implies showing respect to Him, the All-Compassionate, the Most Merciful, and the Most Just, and avoiding exceeding His limits, rebelling Him and being of those who deserve His punishment.
- Most intellectual people do not believe in God, but they fear him just the same.
- Wilhelm Reich, in James Lee Christian Philosophy : An Introduction to the Art of Wondering, (2005), p. 556.
- Fear God. Honour the King.
- I Peter, II. 17
- :Whitland: Morning. Has anyone seen the overnights?
- Board: No
- Whitland: We creamed um. Last night was a re run which says to me...Do I smell onion? (Loki and Bartleby are noticed seated, Loki peeling onions with a knife) 'Excuse me. May I ask what you're doing in my boardroom?
- Loki: You may proceed, mon ami.
- Bartleby: I'm gonna have to start by apologizing. My friend has a bit of a penchant for the dramatic.
- Loki: Oh come on!
- Bartleby: Relax, I'm doing this. Mooby, the Golden Calf. Created by Nancy Goldruff,a former kindergarten teacher in 1989. Bought by the Complex Corporationin 1991. Broadcast nationallyas the "Mooby Fun-Time Hour." Since its inception,has spawned two theatrical films... and a library of priced-to-own videocassettes. Not to mention bicoastal theme parks...dubbed "Mooby World." Did I miss anything?
- Whitland: You forgot Mooby Magazine.
- Bartleby: Damn it!
- Whitland: Is there a point to this?
- Bartleby: You and your board are idolaters.
- Loki: I can't believe you forgot the magazine. That's you. Do you know much about voodoo? That's a fascinating practice. No real doctrine of faith to speak of. More an arrangement of superstitions...the most well-known of which...is the voodoo doll.You see...a mockup of an individual is subjected...to various pokes and prods.The desired result is that the individual will feel those effects.
- Whitland: Call security, now! (Loki throws a the knife into the phone)
- Loki: All lines are currently down.
- Bartleby: I'm gonna have to apologize...
- Loki:-Would you knock it off?
- Bartleby: You're doing it again. Stop. What did we talk about? Ahem...uou are responsible for raising an icon...which draws worship from the Lord. You have broken the First Commandment. More than that,I'm afraid not a one of you...passes for a decent human being. Your continued existence is a mockery of morality. Like you, Mr. Burton. Last year, you cheated on your wife of 17 years 8 times. You even had sex with her best friend... while you were supposed to be home watching the kids. In the bed that you and your wife share, no less. Mr. Newman. You got your girlfriend drunk at last year's Christmas party... and then paid a kid from the mail room... to have sex with her while she was passed out... just so you could break up with her guilt-free... when she sobbingly confessed in the morning. She killed herself three months later. Mr. Brace disowned his gay son. Very compassionate. Mr. Ray put his mother in a third-rate nursing home... and used the profits from the sale of her home... to buy an Oriental rug for himself. Heavens. Mr. Barker flew to Thailand on the company account... to have sex with an eleven-year-old boy. Mr. Holtzman okayed the production of Mooby Dolls... from materials he knew to be toxic and unsafe... because it was...survey says... less costly. You, on the other hand... are an innocent. You lead a good life. Good for you. But you, Mr. Whitland... you have more skeletons in your closet... than this assembled party. I cannot even mention them aloud. (Whispers into ear)
- Loki: You're his father,you sick fuck! - Good.-
- Bartleby: Not bad, man.
- Loki: That's great work.
- Bartleby: Very good. (Walks out)
- Loki: Well... alone at last. With the exception of Miss Pryce here... there isn't a decent human being amongst you. Not one. Do you know what makes a human being decent? Fear. And therein lies the problem. None of you has anything left to fear anymore. You rest comfortably in seats of inscrutable power... hiding behind your false idol,far from judgment... lives shrouded in secrecy, even from one another. But not from God. (Walks off)
- Forgot my little voodoo doll. Man, it really looks just like you, doesn't it? Look, if I believed enough in this... I wonder...(smashes doll into table)
- Come on. I don't believe in voodoo. Voodoo.
- (Exits boardroom than reenters with gun drawn) But I do believe in this. (Opens fire) DON'T RUN! DON'T RUN!
- Bartleby: (Reading Mooby magazine) I don't believe in this...what does that even mean?
- Loki: (All but the innocent woman are dead) Gum? Go on it's ok you've done nothing wrong, those guys were finks and your a pure soul. (Points gun at her) But you didn't say God bless you when I sneezed...
- Bartleby: LOKI!
- Loki: You gettin off light. (Walk off) You're so lucky.
- One should preach not from one's rational mind but rather from the heart. Only that which is from the heart can touch another heart. One must never attack or oppose anyone. If he who preaches must tell people to keep away from a certain kind of evil, he must do so meekly and humbly, with fear of God.
- Encyclopedic article on Fear of God at Wikipedia