FernGully: The Last Rainforest
Ferngully: The Last Rainforest is a 1992 film that follows Zak, a young slacker working for a logging team cutting down trees in the rainforest. Little do they know that they are coming close to a magical place called FernGully, and its fairy inhabitants. Crysta, a young fairy with slight magic ability, shrinks Zak to fairy-size, and together they fight to save the home that is threatened by logging and a polluting force of destruction called Hexxus, who the loggers accidentally release from his twisted-tree prison.
- [takes deep cleansing breaths and puffs her chest up to make herself look bigger] Puff up! Puff up! They hate that! [continues taking deep cleansing breaths and puffing her chest up to make herself look bigger]
- [takes deep cleansing breaths and puffs his chest up to make himself look bigger] Puff up! Puff up! They hate that! [continues taking deep cleansing breaths and puffing his chest up to make himself look bigger]
- I wish... I wish the human tales were true! They're not here to protect the forest. They're cutting down trees. They're destroying the forest!! And I was helping them do it. Batty was right. They're coming this way. You can't stop them! You all have to leave.
- [as he leaves with Tony and Ralph] Guys, things have got to change.
- [to Pips] Keep the stereo, dude.
- Humans don't feel anything. They're numb from the brain down.
- Awesome use of the language, dude.
- [hits a tree] Red Light! [hits a second tree] Red light again!
- I have but one claw... but beware!
- Delicious and nutritious, tastes just like chicken!
- Human tales? Humans don't HAVE tails. They have big big bottoms in bad shorts! They walk around going "Hi, Helen!"
- For a minute I thought you said you were going to Mount Warning.
- Oh, gravity works.
- Why do I not believe you?
- It's Darwin's grab-bag!
- You know, Zak, truth doesn't always win friends, but it certainly influences people. You're not half-bad for a hominid.
- There are worlds within worlds, Crysta. Everything in our world is connected by the delicate strands of the web of life, which is a balance between the forces of destruction and the magical forces of creation.
- The humans have released Hexxus. Gather everyone in the circle.
- Mmm. Delicious. A first class smoke. Mother's milk. What is this delightful thing? And how did I get out of that tree? Of course! Humans. What wonderful creatures. So clever, so helpful. I must take this human thing to... FernGully!
- [Zak has discovered that Crysta has shrunk him]
- Zak: What happened to me?! I'm-I'm zero inches tall!
- Crysta: Oh...I shrunk you.
- Zak: You what?!
- Crysta: Well, it was the most amazing thing. 'Course it's not really what the spell's supposed to do... But Magi Lune will fix you!
- Zak: [Incredulous] You...you shrank me?!
- Crysta: Yeah.
- Batty: Catches on quick, doesn't he?
- Crysta: We better buzz off. It's getting late.
- Zak: Buzz off?! I'm not buzzing anywhere! Now un-shrink me, and I mean now!
- Crysta: Well, I guess I could take a bash at it.
- Zak: "Take a bash"?!
- Crysta: Actually, I'm just sort of learning.
- Zak: [Does a facepalm] Great! I've be shrunk by an amateur! I don't believe this. Okay, okay, c'mon! Bash away!
- [Tony and Ralph are cutting down the tree containing Hexxus; this causes the Leveler to shake violently]
- Tony: What is that?
- Ralph: Hey Ton', you think the Leveler can handle this baby?
- Tony: Sure, the Leveler eats everything.
- Ralph: Kinda like you.
- Tony: [grabs Ralph] How many times a day I gotta threaten your life?
- Hexxus: New orders, boys. You're going to FernGully. And I want you there by morning.
- Tony: By morning?! Oh, I don't know if we can do that.
- Hexxus: You'll just have to work harder, then. Double shifts. No breaks.
- Tony: No breaks?!
- Hexxus: And make sure you've got plenty of oil!
- Tony: Roger that. We'll give it a gas.
- Ralph: Ton'... you know what this means.
- Tony: Yeah. [chuckles] Beaucoup overtime!
- Crysta: What are the trees like where you live?
- Zak: Not like this. I live in a city.
- Crysta: Ci-dy?
- Zak: Yeah, you know... buildings, traffic, cars, lights - a city. Most humans live in cities. There's not many trees there.
- Crysta: But how can you live without trees?
- Zak: Easy.
- Crysta: Well, trees give life. They make the clouds, the rain, the air.
- Zak: We've got air.
- Batty Koda: Yeah, if you don't mind getting all your minerals in one breath. [coughs loudly]
- Batty Koda: Nobody cares about me.
- Zak: I do, bat man.
- Batty Koda: Are you sure?
- Zak: I'm positive.
- Batty Koda: Only fools are positive.
- Zak: Are you sure?
- Batty Koda: I'm positive--I fell for it! I should have known!
- Crysta: Well, come on.
- Batty Koda: My heart! [gasps] Oh my heart! I can't go on! I don't think my little wings can make it!
- Crysta: Hmmm, maybe you should wait here for me.
- Batty Koda: This is a fabulous idea. I really think we should fly with that, only, why don't you stay here with me?
- Crysta: It's okay, really. I'll be right back.
- Batty Koda: Why do I not believe you?
- Batty Koda: (takes several deep, deep cleansing breaths and puffs her chest up to make herself look bigger) Puff up! Puff up! They hate that! (continues taking deep breaths and puffing her chest up, as she is making herself look bigger)
- Crysta: [about a tree] Can't you feel it's pain?
- Zak: [Confused] It's pain?
- Batty: Humans can't feel anything. They're numb from the brain down.
- [After Hexxus is defeated]
- Crysta: We did it, Zak. Now Hexxus can never harm FernGully again.
- Zak: But humans still could. That's why I have to go back. ...Because of me that really wants to stay.
- Crysta: There's a part of you that will always stay. [Gives him a seed] Remember, Zak. Remember everything.
- For Our Children and Our Childrens' Children.
- Do you believe in humans?
- They live in a secret world touched by magic and adventure, and the only human who has ever been there must now fight to save it.
- Tim Curry - Hexxus
- Robin Williams - Batty Koda
- Samantha Mathis - Crysta
- Christian Slater - Pips
- Jonathan Ward - Zak
- Grace Zabriskie - Magi Lune