(Redirected from Fight)
Combat or fighting is a purposeful violent conflict meant to weaken, or establish dominance over the opposition, or to kill the opposition, or drive the opposition away from a location where it is not wanted or needed.
- Mongul: Are you ready, Kryptonian?
- Superman: I won't fight for your amusement, Mongul.
- Justice League (TV series) War World written by Stan Berkowitz
- When one must fight, one had better do it without hesitation, according to his own nature.
- Fausto Cercignani, as quoted in Quotes We Cherish : Quotations from Fausto Cercignani (2013), p. 11.
- Uncle Ben: You've shrugged your chores, you have all these weird experiments in your room, you start fights at school...
- Peter Parker: I didn't start that fight, I told you that.
- Uncle Ben: Well you sure as hell finished it.
- Peter Parker: What was I supposed to do, run away?
- Uncle Ben: No, you're not supposed to run away, but...But, Pete look, you're changing. I know, I went through exactly the same thing at your age.
- Peter Parker: No. Not exactly.
- Uncle Ben: Peter... these are the years when a man changes...into the man he's gonna become the rest of his life. Just be careful who you change into.
- Cyborg Ninja: It is nothing so trivial as revenge. A fight to the death with you. Only in that can my soul find respite. I will kill you or you will kill me... it makes no difference.
- David Xanatos: You've been practicing. This is the first time I've ever lost a match to you.
- Gargoyles (TV series), The Edge, written by Michael Reaves.
- Saito Hajime: The essence of combat is to strike at the vulnerabilities of one's opponent. There is no "fair" or "unfair".
- Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal, written by Masashi Sogo
- There are plenty of good reasons for fighting … but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side. It’s that part of every man that finds all kinds of ugliness so attractive.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 841-60.
- Fighting men are the city’s fortress.
- Alcaeus of Mytilene, Fragment, XXII.
- For those that fly may fight again,
Which he can never do that’s slain.
- Butler Samuel, Hudibras, Pt. III, Canto III, l. 243-44.
- Con disavvantaggio grande si fa la guerra con chi non ha che perdere.
- We fight to great disadvantage when we fight with those who have nothing to lose.
- Guicciardini Francesco, La Historia d’Italia (1561). Book V, p. 400.
- For bragging time was over and fighting time was come.
- Newbolt Henry, Hawke, l. 7, in: Collected Poems 1897-1907 (1910).
- He which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made.
- Shakespeare William, Henry V, Act IV, Sc. 3, l. 35.