(Redirected from Fight)
Combat or fighting is a purposeful violent conflict meant to weaken, or establish dominance over the opposition, or to kill the opposition, or drive the opposition away from a location where it is not wanted or needed.
- While God created Adam, who was alone, He said, 'It is not good for man to be alone. He also created a woman, from the earth, as He had created Adam himself, and called her Lilith. Adam and Lilith immediately began to fight. She said, 'I will not lie below,' and he said, 'I will not lie beneath you, but only on top. For you are fit only to be in the bottom position, while I am to be the superior one.' Lilith responded, 'We are equal to each other inasmuch as we were both created from the earth.' But they would not listen to one another. When Lilith saw this, she pronounced the Ineffable Name and flew away into the air.
- When one must fight, one had better do it without hesitation, according to his own nature.
- Fausto Cercignani, as quoted in Quotes We Cherish : Quotations from Fausto Cercignani (2013), p. 11.
- Dr. Light: So you've come...X, I gave you the ability to choose your own path in life, and I hoped the world would allow you to choose a peaceful one. But now it seems that you are destined to fight. Because I thought the world might need a new champion, I have hidden capsules like this one. If you find and use them you will be able to increase your powers beyond anything the world has ever known. Good luck, X!
- Narrator: The war has ended for now and peace has been restored. But those who sacrificed themselves for the victory will never return.
- Exhausted, X gazes at the destruction he helped cause and wonders why he chose to fight. Was there another way?
- Standing on the cliff, the answers seem to escape him. He only knows that he'll fight the Mavericks again before he finds his answer.
- How long will he keep on fighting? How long will his pain last? Maybe only the X-Buster on his hand knows for sure...
- Megaman X written by Keiji Inafune and Sho Tsuge
- Joined by his friend Zero, Mega Man X gazes out over the sea. Sigma has once again been destroyed, but X wonders if the fighting will truly end. Was Dr. Light's dream of a world in which Reploids and humans lived together in peace merely a dream? The price of peace is often high, X thinks to himself. Who or what must be sacrificed for it to become a reality? And when the time comes, will he be able to do it? The future holds the answers or...
- Keiji Inafune, Sho Tsuge and Yoshihisa Tsuda Mega Man X2
- Narrator: X has crushed Sigma's plan once again. But many questions still occupy his mind......
- "Why must humans fight against Reploids...?"
- "And, why must Reploids fight against each other..."
- As X stares at the burning remnants of Doppler's lab, his body trembles from an unknown sorrow.
- "What does fate have in store for me now?" he wonders.
- He can only hope that someday Dr. Light's plan for him will finally be revealed.
- Unknown to X, his destiny has already been decided.
- To save mankind, he must destroy Zero.
- But only time will tell, when and why.....
- Keiji Inafune, Sho Tsuge and Yoshihisa Tsuda Mega Man X3
- On the wide and silent plain, darkening the bright daylight, she turns midday into darkness. People look upon each other in anger, they look for combat. Their shouting disturbs the plain, it weighs on the pasture and the waste land. Her howling is like Ickur's and makes the flesh of all the lands tremble. No one can oppose her murderous battle -- who rivals her? No one can look at her fierce fighting, the carnage, the ....... Engulfing (?) water, raging, sweeping over the earth, she leaves nothing behind. The mistress, a breaking plough opening hard ground, ....... The braggarts do not lift their necks, ....... Her great heart performs her bidding, the mistress who alone fashions (?) ....... Exalted in the assembly, she occupies the seat of honour, ...... to the right and left.
- Uncle Ben: You've shrugged your chores, you have all these weird experiments in your room, you start fights at school...
- Peter Parker: I didn't start that fight, I told you that.
- Uncle Ben: Well you sure as hell finished it.
- Peter Parker: What was I supposed to do, run away?
- Uncle Ben: No, you're not supposed to run away, but...But, Pete look, you're changing. I know, I went through exactly the same thing at your age.
- Peter Parker: No. Not exactly.
- Uncle Ben: Peter... these are the years when a man changes...into the man he's gonna become the rest of his life. Just be careful who you change into.
- Cyborg Ninja: It is nothing so trivial as revenge. A fight to the death with you. Only in that can my soul find respite. I will kill you or you will kill me... it makes no difference.
- Klaatu: So long as you were limited to fighting among yourselves -- with your primitive tanks and planes -- we were unconcerned. But soon you will apply atomic energy to space ships -- and then you become a threat to the peace and security of other planets. That, of course, we cannot tolerate.
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 film) Edmund H. North
- One doesn't fight only when one is optimistic. One fights because it is the right thing to do.
- Superman: I’m here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.
- Lois Lane: You’re gonna end up fighting every elected official in this country!
- Mario Puzo, David Newman, Leslie Newman, Robert Benton Superman (1978 film)
- Elisa Maza: You have to quit! He's using you!
- Derek Maza: It's my life! Butt out!
- Goliath: QUIET! Both of you! You don't know how lucky you are to have siblings to fight with! All of my rookery brothers are dead! And there is nothing - NOTHING more important than family.
- Gargoyles (TV series) Her Brother's Keeper written by Michael Reaves
- Aggressive fighting for the right is the noblest sport the world affords.
- Theodore Roosevelt, saying. Gifford Pinchot, "Roosevelt as President" in State Papers as Governor and President, 1899–1909 (vol. 15 of The Works of Theodore Roosevelt, national ed.), p. xxxiii (1926). Pinchot commented, "There are few sayings of his that hold for me so much of him as this".
- Saito Hajime: The essence of combat is to strike at the vulnerabilities of one's opponent. There is no "fair" or "unfair".
- Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal, written by Masashi Sogo
- There are plenty of good reasons for fighting … but no good reason ever to hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty Himself hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side. It’s that part of every man that finds all kinds of ugliness so attractive.
Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations
- Quotes reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 841-60.
- Fighting men are the city’s fortress.
- Alcaeus of Mytilene, Fragment, XXII.
- For those that fly may fight again,
Which he can never do that’s slain.
- Butler Samuel, Hudibras, Pt. III, Canto III, l. 243-44.
- Con disavvantaggio grande si fa la guerra con chi non ha che perdere.
- We fight to great disadvantage when we fight with those who have nothing to lose.
- Guicciardini Francesco, La Historia d’Italia (1561). Book V, p. 400.
- For bragging time was over and fighting time was come.
- Newbolt Henry, Hawke, l. 7, in: Collected Poems 1897-1907 (1910).
- He which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made.
- Shakespeare William, Henry V, Act IV, Sc. 3, l. 35.