Gene Simmons (born Chaim Witz (חיים וויץ) on August 25, 1949) is the performer and entertainment mogul best known as "The Demon", his blood-spitting, fire-breathing, tongue-wagging personality in the rock band KISS, for whom he plays bass guitar and sings lead vocals.
- We can't be The Beatles. I can't shine their shoes. I can't sing as well as Paul or John. I can't write those kind of songs. But they would die in my armour and my eight-inch platform heels, and Paul can't spit fire, so there you have it."
- Mojo magazine (December 2009), p. 40
- Elvis is the king of rock and roll, who made white kids shake there shackle.
- 19 February, 2010. At "Viva Elvis Cirque du soleil.
- Being a Jew, you realize your strongest weapon is your mind."
- "Bang Your Head" book
What I've Learned (July 2002)
- You can't argue with facts and figures. Either people want it, in which case they pay for it, or it's two guys sitting around at the Plaza having a discussion, which means nothing. I mean, Titanic. I wasn't crazy about the movie. But you know what? I'm gonna shut up, because the people have spoken. End of story!
- KISS is the number-one American band in gold-record sales. In the world, only the Beatles and the Stones are ahead of us. Every other band should be wiping my ass. The line forms over there to the left.
- Prostitute yourself. As far as I'm concerned, that's even braver than waiting for the public to catch on.
- Anybody who picks up a guitar and tells you that there's some inner message that they're trying to convey . . . it's nonsense. They're not being honest. The reason they're doing this is they wanna get lots of chicks and they don't want to work for a living.
- People say, "I want to get laid a lot and make lots of money." That's not the right order.
- A whore, in my estimation, has more credibility than a wife, and I'll tell you why. A wife is supposed to marry you for love. A whore is not there for love, she's there to service you. Now, the difference between them is a whore, before she does her work, will tell you exactly what it is. She'll tell you, "Blow job? This'll cost you seventy-five dollars. This is not love, and after I'm done I never want to see you again." Full disclosure is what they call it in court. A wife will tell you shit. A wife will tell you nothing. She's about to marry you. If you get divorced, she's going to take 50 percent of your gross pretax dollars and try to get more. Now, before you get married, if you dare bring up the notion, "By the way, let's just be completely honest with each other, what happens if we break up?" she will cry and tell you, "That's so unromantic." You know who's more credible? The whore.
- "You can't buy love with money." Only a poor person says that.
- You shall not covet thy neighbor's wife? Well, how about if she goddamn covets me? What do you think about that?
- “I think I know it all, relatively speaking.”
Fresh Air interview, February 4, 2002
- Interview by Terry Gross with Gene Simmons on NPR's Fresh Air[specific citation needed]
- My mother is probably the wisest person I've ever known. She's not schooled, she's not well read. But she has a philosophy of life that makes well-read people seem like morons.
- My skin is more beautiful than yours. I would be quite more popular in jail if I so chose.
- The notion is that if you want to welcome me with open arms, I'm afraid you're also going to have to welcome me with open legs.
- You know why I'm pulling your leg? Because I can't touch it from where I am.