Hands Across the Table
Jump to navigation Jump to search
She gave the air to a millionaire...and her heart to a guy with a million-dollar personality! It's gay, grand, glorious fun!
- I wonder what the poor people are doing on a day like this.
- You can't blame me for wanting the things I do. Every woman wants them. Only I say I do.
- When a man's in love with a woman, he shouldn't keep it a secret.
- Regi Allen: It was lovely of you, but taking taxis when you haven't any money is a little foolish, isn't it?
- Ted Drew: Foolish? Why, I had to take a taxi. I couldn't go out in this pouring rain and get my only suit all wet, could I?
- Regi Allen: Where's your overcoat?
- Ted Drew: Ohhh, spending a little time in the pawnshop...
- Regi Allen: Well, why did you pawn your overcoat?
- Ted Drew: Why, to pay for the taxi, of course. Dope!
- Regi Allen: We're exactly alike.
- Ted Drew: No, ha ha, oh no, your hair is much prettier than...
- Regi Allen: We are! We're both trying to do the same thing: marry for money.
- Ted Drew: Is that what you want to do?
- Regi Allen: Mm-hmm.
- Ted Drew: Oh, no, you're too nice for that.
- Regi Allen: Well, I don't want to spend the rest of my life working in a barber shop.
- Ted Drew: Well, but to go out in cold blood and deliberately marry somebody for money, that's no good.
- Regi Allen: Well, what are you doing?
- Ted Drew: Well... Well, it's different for me: I'm a heel!
- Regi Allen: Well, did I ever say I wasn't one?
- Ted Drew: Oh, father's living abroad. He has an amazing ability for borrowing money from practically total strangers. Unfortunately, that ability isn't hereditary.
- Regi Allen: How could the Drews be broke?
- Ted Drew: Well, do you remember that thing called the Crash?
- Regi Allen: Yes.
- Ted Drew: Well, that was us.
- [Ted suggests temporarily becoming Regi's platonic roommate]
- Regi Allen: Well, I'm not that unconventional.
- Ted Drew: Aw, don't be old-fashioned. What are conventions anyway? Just a bunch of salesmen sitting around and telling stories.
- Laura: Yeah, and maybe here's that ten million dollars you've been dreaming about.
- Regi Allen: The way I feel today, I'd settle for a million.
- Regi Allen: You must have a lot of friends that could give you a job.
- Ted Drew: That'd be a fine friend who'd give you a job. No friend of mine had better try anything like that on me.
- Regi Allen: Do you dream?
- Ted Drew: No.
- Regi Allen: You should - you'd meet a better class of people.
- Ted Drew: You're almost as good at this as my mother was.
- Regi Allen: Was there anything else your mother did?
- Ted Drew: Mm-hmm... Before she turned out the lights, she always used to kiss me good night.
- Regi Allen: I'm only almost as good as your mother was.
- Carole Lombard - Regi Allen
- Fred MacMurray - Theodore "Ted" Drew III
- Ralph Bellamy - Allen Macklyn
- Astrid Allwyn - Vivian Snowden
- Ruth Donnelly - Laura, Regi's boss and friend
- Marie Prevost - Nona