High Diving Hare
High Diving Hare is a 1948-produced Warner Brothers Looney Tunes (reissued as a Blue Ribbon Merrie Melodie in the beginning, with the original Looney Tunes ending title sequence) theatrical cartoon short starring Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam. Released to theaters on April 30, 1949, the short is an expansion of a gag from Stage Door Cartoon, which was also directed by Friz Freleng. High Diving Hare can be seen in the third act of The Looney Looney Looney Bugs Bunny Movie.
- [reads the telegram] Delayed by storm stop! Arrive tomorrow. Signed Fearless Freep!
- [last lines; breaking the forth wall] I know this defies the Law of Gravity, but, you see, I never studied law!
- Yosemite Sam: [on the diving board, Sam notices that Bugs has disappeared] What... Where is he? Where's the critter at?
- [Yosemite Sam looks over the edge to see Bugs standing upside-down on the underside of the board]
- Bugs Bunny: Eh... What's up, doc?
- Yosemite Sam: [flabbergasted] Great horny toads! What're you doin' down there upside-downy?
- Bugs Bunny: I'm not upside down, doc; you are! Look!
- [He points, revealing that Yosemite Sam is actually the one upside-down. Yosemite Sam falls into the water tank below]
- Yosemite Sam: Now, you dog-blasted, ornery, no-account, long-eared varmint!
- Bugs Bunny: Hey, just a minute, you! Dem's fightin' woids!
- Yosemite Sam: Yeah, dem's fightin' words!
- Bugs Bunny: I dash ya to step across dis line. [traces line along edge of diving board]
- Yosemite Sam: I'm a-stepping.
- [Yosemite Sam steps across line and falls off board; rises up]
- Yosemite Sam: I hate you. [falls back down]
- Yosemite Sam: [finds a door in front of him] OPEN UP THAT DOOR! Ya notice I didn't say Richard? Come on, open up or I'll bust her down!
- Bugs Bunny: Uh-uh.
- Yosemite Sam: [charges at the door like a bull] HERE I COME!
- [Bugs opens the door at the last moment and Sam, overstepping the mark, runs off the plank. He attempts to grab back onto it, but Bugs gives him an anvil and he falls.]
- [Sam runs up the ladder, shooting his guns in rage]
- Bugs Bunny: [disguised as an Indian] Quick! Him go that way! You take-em short cut! Head him off at pass! Ugg!
- Yosemite Sam: Thank you, stranger. [continues shooting and running, but falls off the plank again.]