Hotel Rwanda is a 2004 film about a Hutu who is the manager of a hotel in Kigali, Rwanda during the 1994 genocide. While striving to protect his family and hundreds of Tutsi refugees from the Hutu mass-murderers, he faces an additional struggle to overcome international indifference to the country's plight.
- There will be no rescue, no intervention force. We can only save ourselves. Many of you know influential people abroad, you must call these people. You must tell them what will happen to us... say goodbye. But when you say goodbye, say it as though you are reaching through the phone and holding their hand. Let them know that if they let go of that hand, you will die. We must shame them into sending help.
- [first lines, voiceover] When people ask me, good listeners, why do I hate all the Tutsi, I say, "Read our history." The Tutsi were collaborators for the Belgian colonists, they stole our Hutu land, they whipped us. Now they have come back, these Tutsi rebels. They are cockroaches. They are murderers. Rwanda is our Hutu land. We are the majority. They are a minority of traitors and invaders. We will squash this infestation. We will wipe out the RPF rebels. This is RTLM, Hutu power radio. Stay alert. Watch your neighbours.
- Jack: [walking towards the bus carrying all the whites who are leaving Rwanda while the blacks are left behind] Oh, God, I'm so ashamed!
- Pat Archer: [relating the last words of the orphan slain by the Hutus] Please don't let them kill me. I... I promise I won't be Tutsi anymore.
- RTLM broadcast: Listen to me good people of Rwanda. Terrible news. Horrible news. Our great president is murdered by the Tutsi cockroaches. They tricked him into signing their phony peace agreement then they shot his plane from the sky. It is time to clear the great brush good Hutu's of Rwanda. We must cut the tall trees. Cut all tall trees down!
- RTLM broadcast: The Tutsi cockroaches of the rebel army must be denied recruits! Come on good Hutus! The graves are not yet full!
- Paul: How can they not do anything? Don't they care?
- Jack: I think that when people turn on their TVs and see this footage, they'll say, "Oh my God, that's horrible," and then they'll go back to eating their dinners.
- Paul: You know, I admire you general. How do you keep calm of your men in such madness?
- General Bizimungu: I am a strong man Paul.
- Paul: I wish I were more like you. I mean look at my staff (pointing at Gregoire flirting with a woman) he won't work, listens to no one.
- General Bizimungu: (Sees Gregoire) He is staff?
- Paul: Oh yes.
- General Bizimungu: (Walks over to Gregoire and throws ice bucket on to him) Get back to work you slob! (Hitting Gregoire) Go!
- Colonel Oliver: You should spit in my face.
- Paul: Excuse me, Colonel?
- Colonel Oliver: You’re dirt. We think you’re dirt, Paul.
- Paul: Who is we?
- Colonel Oliver: The West. All the super powers. Everything you believe in, Paul. They think you’re dirt. They think you’re dung. You’re worthless!
- Paul: I am afraid I don't understand what you are saying.
- Colonel Oliver: Oh, come on, don't bullshit me, Paul. You're the smartest man here. You got 'em all eating out of your hands. You could own this frigging hotel, except for one thing: you're black. You're not even a nigger. You're an African. They’re not gonna stay, Paul. They’re not gonna stop this slaughter.
- Paul: You have no whiskey?
- George: No whiskey, no spirits. Your rich guests will have to do without their scotch. Anyway, Paul, I have bled that cow enough now.
- Paul: What are you saying, George?
- George: Your rich cockroaches at the hotel... their money is no good to them anymore. Soon, all of the Tutsis will be dead.
- Paul: You do not honestly believe that you can kill them all.
- George: And why not? Why not? We are halfway there already. Oh, and Paul, I will give you a crate of soft drinks for the kids. No charge. [To his men] Ten bags of beans! Come! Put those in the van, you! [To Paul] Let me give you a tip my friend, our generals in the army say 'do not go near the Mille Collines or they will send the Belgian soldiers back here'. But soon, those generals will have gone, and we will be in charge. It is time to butcher your cow for the meat. [Pauses] Maybe you can help us Paul. You have some very important traitors at your hotel. Now, if we were to get them, then maybe we could let you have one of two cockroaches of your own. You understand?
- Paul: It is almost dawn, George. We really must be going.
- George: Take the river road back. It's clear.
- General Bizimungu: I lead no massacres!
- Paul: Do you think they will believe you?
- General Bizimungu: You will tell them the truth!
- Paul: I will tell them nothing unless you help me! (sees General Bizimungu attempting to pull out his handgun) What are you going to do, shoot me? Shoot me. Please, shoot me. It would be a blessing, I will pay you to shoot my family. You cannot hurt me.
- Don Cheadle — Paul Rusesabagina
- Nick Nolte — Colonel Oliver
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim — George Rutaganda
- Desmond Dube — Dube
- Cara Seymour — Pat Archer
- Joaquin Phoenix — Jack Daglish