Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV special)
(Redirected from How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV special))
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966), is an animated television show directed by Chuck Jones and Ben Washam, based on the book by Dr. Seuss, with additional story by Bob Ogle and Irv Spector.
- For the 2000 live-action film, see Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (film).
- Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch... who lived just north of Whoville... did not.
The Grinch hated Christmas — the whole Christmas season.
Oh, please don't ask why, no one quite knows the reason.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
But I think that the most likely reason of all may have been that his heart was 2 sizes too small.
- And what happened then?
Well... in Who-ville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew 3 sizes that day!
And then... the true meaning of Christmas came through, and the Grinch found the strength of 10 Grinches... + 2.
- [last lines] Welcome, Christmas, bring your cheer.
Cheer to all Whos far and near.
Christmas Day is in our grasp
So long as we have hands to clasp.
Christmas Day will always be just as long as we have we.
Welcome, Christmas, while we stand heart to heart... and hand in hand.
- You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel.
You're a bad banana with a... greasy black peel!
- You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch.
You're a nasty, wasty skunk.
Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk.
[spoken] The 3 words that best describe you are as follows and I quote: "Stink, stank, stunk!"
- Grinch: Pooh-pooh to the Whos!
- Narrator: ...He was grinchily humming.
- Grinch: They're finding out now that no Christmas is coming.
They're just waking up, I know just what they'll do.
Their mouths will hang open a minute or 2, then the Whos down in Whoville will all cry, "Boo Hoo!"
That's a noise...
- Narrator: The Grinch said.
- Grinch: ...That I simply must hear!
- Narrator: So he paused, and the Grinch put a hand to his ear.
And he did hear a sound rising over the snow.
It started in low.
Then it started to grow...
But this-- the sound wasn't sad.
Why, this sound sounded glad!
- [Whos singing]
- Narrator: Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small, was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling...
- Grinch: ...How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
It came without packages, boxes, or bags!
- Narrator: And he puzzled and puzzed, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.
Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more.
- Boris Karloff as The Grinch / Narrator
- June Foray as Cindy Lou Who
- Dal McKennon as Max
- Thurl Ravenscroft as Singer