The Grinch (film)
The Grinch (also known as Dr. Seuss' The Grinch) is a 2018 American 3D computer-animated Christmas comedy film produced by Illumination. Based on the 1957 Dr. Seuss book How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, it is the third screen adaptation of the story, following the television special from 1966 and the live-action feature-length film from 2000. It also marks Illumination's second Dr. Seuss film adaptation, following The Lorax (2012).
- [repeated line] MAX!
- I know just what to do; I'm going to steal their Christmas!
- Genius starts with the abs, Max. It's go time!
- Look at those greedy little gift monsters. Loading themselves up with Christmas junk!
- It was me. I stole your Christmas. I stole it because, because I thought it would fix something that happened a long time ago. But it didn't. And I'm sorry. [walks up to Cindy-Lou] I'm so very sorry for everything.
- [from trailer as he and Max head to Whoville for the first time] Today we will do mean things, and we will do them in style!
- I specifically bought enough food to last me until January. How much emotional eating have I been doing?
- If I'm gonna become Santa, then I need to get into character.
- Today was - grr-eat! We did mean things, and we did them in style.
Cindy Lou Who
- Hey. Why are you taking our Christmas tree?
- Yes, the Whos down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot. But the Grinch, in his cave north of Whoville... did not.
- Grinch: What's this?
- Who Lady: Excuse me! Are you getting that? I need it for my Christmas stuffing.
- Grinch: Mmm, no.
- Who Lady: Well, that's not very nice. [Grinch drops it on the floor and it shatters, she stamps her foot] Oh, sugar plums.
- [Cindy-Lou Who accidentally runs over the Grinch with her inner tube]
- Grinch: Arrgh! What is wrong with you?! Didn't you see me?! I mean, if that was a sled, I, I, well I'd be dead!
- Cindy-Lou Who: I'm sorry for bumping into you, but this is really important. Have you seen my letter?
- Grinch: [growls in frustration, takes the tube off his torso] And that, right there, Max, is the true nature of the Who child. Just right to, "Me, me, me. My letter. Me, me, me."
- Cindy-Lou: No! You don't understand. This isn't just a letter. This is the letter.
- Grinch: [sarcastically; turns to face her] Oh, really? Let me guess. Small child, December 20th, rapidly searching for a "really important" lost letter. Might it be your list of demands to Santa?
- Cindy: They're not demands! It's more like a wish. And what I'm wishing for is really, really important.
- Grinch: Well then, why send a letter? I mean, if it's really that important, you should just ask him face-to-face. [mockingly] Oh, but that's right! No one's ever seen him! My bad. [turns to leave] C'mon, Max. Let's get out of here.
- [Max looks at Cindy-Lou and follows the Grinch]
- Cindy: [waves to Max] Bye, doggy.
- Grinch: [mourning by his organ] Why, for 53 years, I've put up with it now. I must stop this Christmas from coming, but how? [slams his head on the organ; Max feels sorry for him. the Grinch plays a single note on the organ twice]
- Narrator: Then he got an idea. An awful idea. The Grinch got a wonderful awful idea.
- Grinch: [smiling wickedly] I know just what to do. I'm going to steal their Christmas! [takes a cup and makes it disappear; he plays the organ in a dramatic way; as the smoke passes, he climbs up the stairs to the window] All the trimmings, all the trappings, all their gifts and garlands! When they wake and see it's gone, then all their joy and happiness will be gone as well! [lightning strikes as Max cringes in fear] So prepare yourself, Max! For tomorrow, WE BEGIN! [echoes as lightning strikes again]
- Donna Who: How did I get such a wonderful daughter like you?
- Cindy: I don't know. Sometimes you just get lucky.
- Donna: If so, then I really did.
- Cindy: So did I. I love you, Mom.
- Donna: I love you too, sweetheart.
- Grinch: Well, everyone, I just wanted to say that I've spend my entire life hating Christmas and everything about it, but then I see it wasn't Christmas I hated, it was being alone… but I'm not alone anymore and I have all of you to thank for it. Especially this little girl right here. Ma'am, your daughter's kindness changed my life.
- Donna: That's my little girl.
- Bricklebaum: Oh, that was beautiful! That's my best friend.
- Cindy: Merry Christmas, Mr. Grinch.
- Grinch: Merry Christmas, Cindy-Lou.
- [last lines]
- Narrator: And the Grinch raised his glass, and led the Whos in a toast.
- Grinch: [last line of the film; raises his glass] To kindness and love, the things we need most!
- Oh, joy.
- Scheme big.
- Unhappy Holidays.
- Resting Grinch Face
- Christmas is canceled.
- Stealing Christmas 2018.
- It's never too early to be annoyed by Christmas.
- From the studio that brought you Despicable Me, The Secret Life of Pets, and Sing.
- Benedict Cumberbatch as The Grinch
- Pharrell Williams as the Narrator
- Cameron Seely as Cindy Lou Who
- Rashida Jones as Donna Lou Who
- Kenan Thompson as Bricklebaum
- Angela Lansbury as Mayor McGerkle
- Brad O'Hare as Groopert
- Ramone Hamilton as Axl
- Sam Lavagnino as Ozzy
- Scarlett Estevez as Izzy
- Frank Welker as Max
|This article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|