Sing (2016 American film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Auditions begin Christmastaglines
- [first lines; narrating] This was it. The moment it all began. The moment an ordinary little guy fell in love with theater. Everything about it: the lights, the way the scenery moved, even the smell. He was only 6 years old, but his plans to become the first koala bear in space were suddenly... toast. Some folks may have said he grew up to be the greatest showman the city has ever seen. Some called him a visionary, a maverick. Sure some folks said he was as crazy as he was stubborn, but I say wonder and magic don't come easy, pal, and oh, there would never be any doubt. The name Buster Moon would go down in entertainment history.
- You know what's great about hitting rock bottom? There's only one way to go, and that's up!
- Don't let fear stop you from doing the thing you love!
- Just... sing.
- My next show is gonna be... drumroll, please... a singing competition!
- The winner will receive... [grunts] $1,000.
- You don't look a day over 90!
- Everyone. Just think, your neighbor, the-the-the grocery store manager, that-that-that-that chicken, right there. Everyone in the city gets a shot at being a star live on my stage!
- I have this bucket because it belonged to my father. Every day for 30 years, he'd worked his tail off washing cars, just so I can buy this place. Every day, Eddie. Just for me.
- [last lines; to the animals] All creatures great and small, welcome to the New Moon Theater!
- A singing competition? Who wants to see another one of those?
- This show is not gonna save your theater! Maybe it's time to just move on.
- I can sing, but I get so scared.
- I don't know, but... I wanna try.
- Norman, would you please tell them what a good singer I am?
- The fire went out a long time ago.
- Ash, Ash! What's wrong?
- Okay, here. There should be some gum or some candy in there somewhere. Just help yourself.
- Ja, the two of us, together! Are you joking me? We're going to be spicy, no?
- [to Buster] Oh yes, I'm good, and you?
- Get ready, cause I'm warning you. This stage is about to explode with major piggy power!
- [singing] ♪ Rah rah ah-ah-ah! ♪
♪ Ro mah ro-mah-mah! ♪
♪ Ga-ga ooh-la-la! ♪
♪ Want your bad romance! ♪
- [as Buster plays "Call Me Maybe" to her] I am NOT singing this.
- [sarcastic] Wow, it's like you can see inside my tiny teenaged mind!
- [after seeing Becky and Lance making out and finding out he broke up with her for not being around anymore] BECKY?!
- [angrily kicking them out for breaking up with her] I DID IT FOR US, LANCE! YOU AND ME!
- [after a baboon gives him a penny] A penny? How dare you! I happened to have studied in the Lincoln School of Music!
- Alright! Enough of that! That's quite enough of that. That's it. Come on. Off the stage, Helga. Go on, you're useless. Thanks.
- Open it, will ya? I wanna see what a $100,000 look like!
- Look, I'm sure you're gonna a lot of namby-pamby animals in here, sayin' things like, "Oh, it's not winning! It's the taking part that counts!" Yeah, not me, pal, I'm here to win. That prize... it's mine!
- Oh, for crying out loud! Yeah, let the bears in. Let the bears in. Fine.
- [as he's about to be eaten by Boss Bear] Please! Please, wait! I'll give you the money! I'll give a $100,000!
- What, are you kidding me? It's like watching Jell-O dancing around.
- [to Rosita] Relax, sweetheart. Just came back to show you bozos how it's really done. Now watch this.
- Oh, do not even think of embracing me.
- Oh, lucky me. If it wasn't for my useless grandson and his ghastly little theater friend.
- Oh, for heaven's sakes, I'm perfectly capable of walking.
- Red Pandas: ♪ L-U-C-K! ♪
♪ L-U-C-K! ♪
- Richard: ♪ Come, my lady, come, come, my lady. ♪
♪ You're my butterfly, sugar, baby. ♪
- Bunnies: ♪ Oh my gosh, Look at her butt. ♪
♪ Oh my gosh, Look at her butt. ♪
- Raymond: ♪ So I ride, like the wind, ride like the wind. ♪
- Harry: Oh my gosh! I thought you guys said you were musicians.
- Big Daddy: How did I end up with a son like you, eh? You're nothing like me. You never were, and you never will be.
- Judith: I. am calling. the police!
- Becky: Seriously?! She's not even that good...!
- Boss Bear: Well, you are one great card player, Mike. Except I still can't tell how you cheated.
- Big Daddy: Go, go, go!
- Johnny: Whoa!
- Big Daddy: Johnny, you were supposed to be keeping a lookout!
- Johnny: Sorry, Dad.
- Big Daddy: And where's your mask?
- Eddie: Don’t speak French, they speak English here.
- Buster: My next show is gonna be... drum roll, please... a singing competition!
- Eddie: A singing competition? Who wants to see another one of those?
- Buster: Everyone! Just think, your neighbor, the-the-the grocery store manager, that-that-that-that chicken, right there. Real talent from real life! That's what audiences want, and I'm going to give it to them!
- [slams the spoon off his table, causing it to fling into a bull's soup]
- Eddie: Look, can we please just get out of here?
- Buster: What, you're not hungry? You want to eat.
- Eddie: No, it's just that... we can't afford any of this stuff.
- Buster: Yes, and that's why I brought sandwiches.
- Eddie: Uh, that’s not allowed, and...
- Buster: What, you don’t like peanut butter and jelly?
- Waiter: Excuse me, sir.
- Buster: I got cream cheese.
- Miss Crawly: Anyone seen my glass eye? The darn keeps popping out.
- Mike: Whoa! You almost kill me, Jumbo.
- Meena: It wasn’t me.
- Mike: Oh, Is that so.
- Buster: Pete. [Pete groans] Pete, you’re going to be all right. Okay, just... Just hang in there, buddy! Ricky? Kai? Why aren't you rehearsing?
- Howie: We're through! They said I'm an intolerable egomaniac. I don't even know what that means!
- Buster: All right... We’re two acts down. Give me some good news, Miss Crawly.
- Miss Crawly: Oh, it’s not as bad as it looks. Oopsie-daisy.
- Buster: Meena, how would you like to re-audition for the show?
- Meena: Really? Well, yeah.
- Buster: Great.
- Meena: I mean, no.
- [Johnny talks to his dad in an inmate phone service]
- Big Daddy: Where were you?
- Johnny: Um, well, the thing is I went to get gas, and I–
- Big Daddy: [angrily bangs on the table] DON'T LIE TO ME!
- Johnny: Um, I was at a rehearsal.
- Big Daddy: Rehearsal... for what?
- Johnny: [sighs] I was at a singing contest. Look, Dad. I'm sorry, I just don't want to be in your gang. I want to be a singer.
- Big Daddy: [growls in frustration] A singer?
- Johnny: Look, Dad, no, it's okay, it's okay! I can get the bail money! There's a prize, it's $100,000.
- Big Daddy: [drops the phone that everyone in the phone service pauses their conversations] How did I end up with a son like you, eh? [Johnny stares at him in shock] You're nothing like me. You never were, and you never will be. [hangs up and walks away]
- Johnny: Dad, wait! I'll get you out! I'll get the money! I promise!
- Rosita: [singing] I stayed up too late. But nothing in my brain... [falls down]
- Buster: Are you okay?
- Gunter: Oh yes, I'm fine, thank you... How are you?
- Buster: Okay, Johnny! Let’s get you out here. And you guys, you’ve got to work on that routine! Take it away, Johnny!
- Meena's Grandpa: If I had a voice like Meena's I'd be a SUPERSTAR by now! Just singing... ♪ Ooh, yeah, I said, "ooh, yeah…" ♪
- Meena: Sure you would, Grandpa. Now blow out your candles.
- Rosita: Why are you back?
- Mike: Relax, sweetheart. I'm just back to show you bozos how it's really done! Now watch this.
- Lance: [going over the song list given to Ash by Buster Moon] Man, these are like the cheesiest songs of all time!
- Ash: I know right? I mean, I was thinking of writing my own song instead.
- Lance: Wait, what? Your own song?
- Ash: Well... Yeah.
- Lance: Look, if you wanna win that money... Just do what the koala says.
- Ash: Why, you think I can't write my own song?
- Lance: Hey, I'm just saying. Not everyone can write songs, okay? I may make it look easy, babes, but no it's not!
- Eddie: He’s done it. He’s really done it, Nana.
- Nana: Oh, goodness.
- Buster: Now welcome our first contestant. [On the day of the screening, the bears interrupt the show] Whoa!
- [The music stops playing]
- Boss Bear: Which one of you is Moon?
- Buster: Hey, hey, hey! You can't just barge in here!
- Boss Bear: [to Buster] You know this guy? [shows him carrying Mike]
- Buster: Mike?
- Boss Bear: Right. Mike here says you got his money, and it's in that box.
- Buster: No, no, no, no, no. Just hold on a moment here. That's prize money, and it's not Mike's unless he wins it fair and–
- Mike: [choking] Give him the money!
- Buster: Okay, okay! Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, take it! The whole chest! It's yours, okay? All right here.
- Boss Bear: Open it.
- Buster: [stammering] Open it? Me?!
- Mike: [choking harder] OPEN IT!
- Buster: Okay! No, I-I-I... I just don't, I-I don't have the keys, so maybe you can come back later?
- Boss Bear: [grabs Buster's ear] Get outta the way! [throws Buster and Mike away. His friend gives him a bat]
- Buster: No, no, no! No, no, no, no, no, WAIT!
- [Boss Bear breaks open the chest with the bat]
- Mike: [chuckling] Hey, there you go! Big guy with the bat! Who needs keys, right? All right. Well, let's get this thing squared up now. [starts looking at the mess] What the...?! [looks around the mess] That's it? That's all there is!? [Boss Bear looks at Mike, who looks at Buster, angrily] He lied! [the singers gasp in shock, Boss Bear growls furiously] Moon lied to us all! [the singers and the bears walk over to Buster]
- Buster: Wait a second. I can explain...
- Mike: [to Boss Bear] He's your problem, not me!
- Buster: This is just a prop!
- Johnny: So where's the $100,000?!
- Rosita: You're kidding!
- Johnny: I cannot believe you lied to us this whole time!
- Ash: Huge waste of everyone's–
- Buster: This was just– [suddenly, the squids flash red. Everyone looks at the glass full of water breaking. The whole glass is about to break as water spouted out]
- Eddie: BUSTER, LOOK OUT! [the glass breaks and all the water spreads the theater]
- Auditions begin 2016
- Auditions begin Christmas
- Matthew McConaughey as Buster Moon
- Reese Witherspoon as Rosita
- Seth MacFarlane as Mike
- Scarlett Johansson as Ash
- John C. Reilly as Eddie Noodleman
- Tori Kelly as Meena
- Taron Egerton as Johnny
- Nick Kroll as Gunter
- Nick Offerman as Norman
- Garth Jennings as Karen Crawly
- Peter Serafinowicz as Big Daddy
- Beck Bennett as Lance
- Leslie Jones as Meena's mother
- Jay Pharoah as Meena's grandfather
- Rhea Perlman as Judith
- Laraine Newman as Meena's grandmother
- Bill Farmer as Bob
- Adam Buxton as Stan
- Brad Morris as Baboon
- Tara Strong as Becky and Nancy
- Jim Cummings as Bears