It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) is a critically-acclaimed and very popular animated television special, based on the comic strip Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz. It was the second Peanuts holiday special (and first Halloween special) to be produced and animated by Bill Meléndez. Its initial broadcast took place on October 27th, 1966.
- Sally: What are you doing, Linus?
- Linus: I'd rather not say. You might laugh.
- Sally: Oh, I'd never laugh at you, Linus. You're so intelligent.
- [Linus blushes]
- Linus: I'm writing to the Great Pumpkin.
- Sally: You always say the cutest things.
- Linus: On Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch and flies through the air to bring toys to all the good little children everywhere. Wouldn't you like to sit with me in the pumpkin patch on Halloween night and wait for the Great Pumpkin?
- Sally: Oh, I'd love to, Linus!
- [Charlie Brown enters]
- Charlie Brown: What's going on here? What are you trying to do to my little sister? [He takes her away, still smiling sweetly at Linus who puts his letter in an envelope, licks it, and goes out to the mailbox, passing Lucy who is still watching T.V.]
- Lucy: And how do you think you're gonna mail that letter? [She walks out to the mailbox with Linus] You can't possibly reach the mailbox… and I'm not gonna help you.
- [Linus uses his blanket as a cowboy's lasso to open the hatch on the mailbox, and lets the letter fly in]
- [Lucy, Charlie Brown, and the kids go trick-or-treating and go to the first house]
- Kids: Trick or treat! Money or eats!
- Lucy: [after getting her bag filled] Can I have an extra piece of candy for my stupid brother? He couldn't come with us 'cause he's sitting in a pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin. [gets her extra candy, then the other kids get their bags filled] It's so embarrassing to have to ask for something extra for that blockhead Linus?
- [everyone announces what they got in their trick-or-treat bag]
- Lucy: I got 5 pieces of candy!
- Violet: I got a chocolate bar!
- Patty: I got a quarter!
- Charlie Brown: I got a rock.
- Sally: If anyone had told me I'd be waiting in a pumpkin patch on Halloween night, I'd have said they were crazy.
- Linus: Just think, Sally, when the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch, we'll be there to see him. [Suddenly, there's a rustling in the grass among the pumpkins] What's that? What's that? I hear the Great Pumpkin! [The rustling grows louder]
- Linus: [Excited] There he is, there he is! [A giant silhouette of Snoopy rises up] It's the Great Pumpkin! He's rising up out of the pumpkin patch! [faints] What happened… did I faint? What did he leave us? Did he leave us any toys?
- Sally: [Angrily] I was robbed! I spent the whole night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, when I could've been out for tricks-or-treats! [covers her mouth] Halloween is over and I missed it! [turns red in anger] You blockhead! You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, and all that came was a beagle! I didn't get a chance to go out for tricks-or-treats, and it was all your fault! I'll sue! What a fool I was! I could've had candy, apples, and gum! And cookies and money and all sorts of things! But no! I had to listen to you. You blockhead. What a fool I was. Trick-or-treats come only once a year. [Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the kids come up to them] And I miss it by sitting in a pumpkin patch with a blockhead. [angrily shakes Linus by his shirt] YOU OWE ME RESTITUTION!!!
- Linus: You've heard about fury in a woman scorned, haven't you?
- Charlie Brown: Yes, I guess I have.
- Linus: Well, that's nothing compared to the fury of a woman who has been cheated out of tricks-or-treats.
- [the other children, including an angry Sally, exit the pumpkin patch and leave Linus all alone]
- Linus: Hey, aren't you gonna wait and greet the Great Pumpkin, huh? It won't be long now! If the Great Pumpkin comes, I'll still put in a good word for you! [realizes what he just said] Good grief, I said "if"! I meant when he comes! I'm doomed. One little slip like that can cause the Great Pumpkin to pass you by. [the camera zooms out to reveal the entire pumpkin patch] Oh, Great Pumpkin! Where are you?!
- Encyclopedic article on It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown at Wikipedia