It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown
Jump to navigation Jump to search
It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown is the sixth prime-time animated television special based on the popular comic strip Peanuts, created by Charles M. Schulz. It was originally aired on CBS on September 27, 1969.
- Directed by Bill Meléndez. Produced by Lee Mendelson and Bill Meléndez. Written by Charles M. Schulz.
Happy camp days recalled by Charlie Brown, Linus and the rest of the "Peanuts" gang.
- [repeated line] All right, everybody, move it along. Hup-hup-hup.
- Shermy, you've got to come up with something that we can win at. Isn't there a champion that will come forth and uphold the right?
- [after he introduces Snoopy as the Masked Marvel to the other boys] Snoopy, we're going to have to put you through training. With a lot of scientific body-building exercises, plus a training table for you. No more gourmet meals. You'll have to eat with us to get a lot of good nourishment. Oatmeal, spaghetti, macaroni, corned beef, chipped beef - bleah...
Linus van Pelt
- [after swatting a bee with his blanket that was previously after Violet] Not unlike Robin Hood.
- [after Snoopy leaves the table, gagging on spaghetti] Where on earth is Snoopy going? He's gotta eat; who's gonna feed him?
- [voiceover; writing his essay] The worst was yet to come. It was bad enough at having been so thoroughly thrashed in softball. But there were plans for a nature hike the next day. The campfire activity - was a dismal failure.
- Peppermint Patty: Boy, I like summer camp. It's the next-best thing to being in the infantry.
- Lucy van Pelt: [gets kissed by Snoopy during the arm wrestling match] Ugh! Foul! Foul! This stupid Masked Marvel fouled! And I'm the rightful winner! I won!
- Lucy: Look at this, a big yellow butterfly. It's unusual to see one of those at this time of year, unless of course, it flew up from Brazil. I'll bet that's it. They DO that sometimes, you know. They fly up from Brazil, and they...
- Linus: [interrupting] This is no butterfly, this is a potato chip.
- Lucy: Well, I'll be, so it is. I wonder how a potato chip got all the way up here from Brazil?
- Lucy: I've signed everyone up for summer camp.
- Schroder, Linus, Pig-Pen and Charlie Brown: CAMP?!?! EVERYONE?!?!
- Lucy: There is to be no discussion and no need to thank me.
- Charlie Brown: I feel like I've been drafted!!!
- Schroder: If I can't take my piano, I won't go!
- Linus: Camp?! CAMP?! Those summer camps are always out in the woods someplace, and those woods are all full of queen snakes! Have you ever been chomped by a queen snake?! You'll not get me near any woods full of queen snakes! No sir, not me!
- Lucy: I'll tell the parents you'll all be happy to go.
- Schroder, Linus, Pig-Pen and Charlie Brown: [screaming in misery and frustation] AAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!
- Peppermint Patty: Eagle claws! Okay, Chuck, we'll take our outs to bat.
- Charlie Brown: Eagle claws?
- Peppermint Patty: You guys shag 'em for us.
- Charlie Brown: Eagle claws?
- Charlie Brown: Do you know why English teachers go to college for four years?
- Linus: No.
- Charlie Brown: Well then, I'll tell you why English teachers go to college for four years. [shouting] SO THEY CAN LEARN HOW TO MAKE STUPID LITTLE KIDS WRITE STUPID ESSAYS ABOUT WHAT THEY DID ALL STUPID SUMMER!
- Shermy: Hey, there's a spider on that log!
- Linus: WAAH!! [falls down with the logs]
- Shermy: I'm sorry I was wrong, it was just a piece of bark. Hey, I was right, there really is a spider on that log!
- Linus: WAAH!! [falls down again with the logs]
- Shermy: I'm sorry I was wrong again, it was just an old cocklebur.
- Peppermint Patty: [yelling] HEY, THERE'S A BUG IN YOUR HAIR, CHARLIE BROWN!
- Charlie Brown: [frantic] WHERE? WHERE? BRUSH IT OFF!
- Peppermint Patty: That's alright, it's gone now.
- Charlie Brown: THAT'S THE ONE THING I HATE ABOUT ALL THIS OUTDOOR LIVING!
- Peppermint Patty: Well, don't worry, it's not in your hair anymore. It fell down your neck.
- Lucy: [as she and Linus are on their way to school] Did you wash your hands? Let's see your fingernails. [looks at Linus's hand] They're clean! How'd you get your fingernails so clean?
- Linus: Toothpaste.
- Linus: Oh, well, it was a short summer, Charlie Brown.
- Charlie Brown: And it looks like it's going to be a looong winter.
- Peter Robbins as Charlie Brown.
- Pamelyn Ferdin as Lucy van Pelt.
- Glenn Gilger as Linus van Pelt.
- Hilary Momberger as Sally Brown.
- Ann Altieri as Frieda and Violet Gray.
- David Carey as Shermy.
- Christopher DeFaria as Peppermint Patty.
- Chris DeFaria as Pig-Pen.
- Sally Dryer as Clara, Shirley, and Sophie.
- Matthew Liftin as Roy.
- Lisa DeFaria as Patty.
- John Daschback as Schroeder.
- Bill Melendez as Snoopy.