Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown Jr. (born April 7, 1938) is an American politician and lawyer who has been serving as the 39th Governor of California since 2011. A member of the Democratic Party, Brown previously served as the 34th Governor from 1975 to 1983, and is the longest-serving governor in California history. Prior to and following his first governorship, Brown served in numerous state, local and party positions, including three times a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.
- There's nothing wrong with being an anarchist.
- We are in a degenerate state of self-government. In fact, even to use the words self-government, is not only an exaggeration, it's a lie. It's a big lie!
- I'd shrink government in a minute, if I could shrink GM, Bank of America, and all these immoral corporations that operate by an undemocratic code, with no soul and no conscience.
- The U.S. incarceration binge is not tied to crime. It's a strategy to control the surplus population in a capitalist system that is breaking down.
- I've been in office and I've been out of office. And if I were to choose, I'd rather be in office.
About Jerry Brown
- Alphabetized by author
- That man [Jerry] is like 500 pounds of Jello.
- [Jerry Brown] is the most self-serving, inept politician that I have ever met in my 35 years in politics.
- Jerry Brown was just a nut.
- James Carville, All's Fair: Love, War, and Running for President (1994), pp. 89-90.
- I don't think you can take much of what he says seriously.
- [Jerry Brown is] a desperate man.
- He is by an order of magnitude the most self-absorbed politician I have ever dealt with.
- I do not believe he believes what he is saying.
- I listened, and I've come to the conclusion I just don't trust him.
- Jerry has given hypocrisy a bad name.
- Jerry has no political or ideological anchor.
- Oftentimes Jerry will run for an office and not want to do the things that are part of that office.
- He's totally into power.
- Jerry is perceived by most legislators as very selfish.
- Leo McCarthy, former Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the California State Assembly, United Press International, unspecified article, unspecified date, 1978.
- The governor is the worst administrator ever to come down the pike.
- He's very ambitious and will do anything to be in power.
- I don't know who Jerry Brown is anymore. There's been so many evolvements.
- I don't like to talk about Jerry Brown. I don't like him.
- I don't think Jerry Brown is committed to anything but Jerry Brown.
- Shirley Wechsler, former Vice President of Americans for Democratic Action, Penthouse, unspecified article/page, October 1979.