Jimmy Magee (31 January 1935 – 20 September 2017) was a veteran sports broadcaster. Known as the "Memory Man", he has spent over half a century in sports broadcasting, and has presented radio and television coverage of the Olympic Games since 1968 and the FIFA World Cup since 1966. He is the longest-serving sports commentator.
FIFA World Cup
- "This is the 671st game in World Cup history, starting all the way back in 1930 in Uruguay … and no I haven't seen them all."
- "Different class … DIFFERENT CLASS!"
- "GREAT play by the Mexican there! He took on the whole shagbag lot o' them!"
- "And there it is, the international symbol of peace – the pigeon!"
- During the Olympic Games opening ceremony. herald.ie
- "They're going for silver, they’re going for gold. John Treacy has one hundred metres to go. In the past Ireland have won bronze medals with John Caldwell, Freddie Gilroy, ‘Socks’ Byrne, Jim McCourt, Hugh Russell. They've won golds with Pat O'Callaghan twice, Bob Tisdall, Ron Delaney. They've won silvers with John McNally, Fred Tiedt, Wilkins and Wilkinson and for the thirteenth time an Irish medal goes to John Treacy. The little man with the great heart."
- "It's a rip-roarer, an absolutely titanic struggle if that's the right thing to say about a Belfast man... Make sure the rivets are tight and away you go!"
- "I bet there's a tear in your eye wherever you're watching this. There's nothing wrong with tears; tears are often shed in joy."
- "A modest young lady with her head the same size as it was when she was a child."
- Commenting on Katie Taylor's lack of a big head despite her success. irishtimes.com
- "One thing's for sure, if there's a blackout here in London, you'll find Warren with those boots... you might not see the rest of him!"
- "...Jim ‘the Blue Panther’ Rock..."
- Magee's mistaken description of Jim "The Pink Panther" Rock live on RTÉ's Pro Box Live in 2007.[specific citation needed]
- "Willie, you might as well take out your money and spend it. Spend it on a cruise. A cruise around Andy Lee."
- "C'MON BERNARD! ...DELIVER THE MILK AND GO TO THE NEXT HOUSE!!!"
- "If you only knew the dreams in that little boy's head all those years ago. You don't know how lucky I am. I will never retire because even if they retire me, I'll find something else to do."
- Magee said he hoped to die live on air. herald.ie