Jump to navigation Jump to search
Karen Sheila Gillan (born 28 November 1987) is a Scottish actress and former model who is most famous for her role as Amy Pond, the primary traveling companion of the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor in the British television series Doctor Who.
|This article about an actor is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I got the recall, the second audition. That was when I started sweating. This huge thing. And it was so secretive I couldn't even tell BBC reception where I was going, had to pretend it was for something called Panic Moon, which is an anagram of companion.
- On at first being relaxed in her auditions for the role of Amy Pond, thinking she "hadn't a hope in hell" of getting the part, as quoted in "Karen Gillan: Meet Doctor Who's new assistant" in The Guardian (14 March 2010)
- To be honest, I wasn't really a huge follower of Doctor Who before I got this part. I mean I knew it was huge, but … I was nothing like my mum, who's a proper diehard Whovian. She's got a Tardis money-bag, and Dalek bubble-bath. But having read the first episode I was utterly smitten, and with the character. Amy's a sassy lady, funny and passionate, and her relationship with the doctor has a really interesting dynamic.
- As quoted in "Karen Gillan: Meet Doctor Who's new assistant" in The Guardian (14 March 2010)
- I am legitimately Scottish. I can officially say — yes. Yeah, I am from Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland.
- When asked if she is "legitimately Scottish" in Interview with Karen Gillan from Doctor Who (15 April 2010)
- He's just really unlikely as a hero — which makes him so brilliant, I think, because he's like this mad professor.
- On the Doctor in Doctor Who Rewind (2011) by BBC America
- I was a little worried that I was going to look like an overgrown fetus … Maybe that’s true. But it’s liberating. It’s very liberating. Everyone here should shave their heads.
- On shaving her head for her role in Guardians of the Galaxy as Nebula, in "Comic-Con: Marvel’s ‘Age of Ultron,’ ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ more" in The Los Angeles Times (20 July 2013)
Quotes about Gillan
- We saw some amazing actresses for this part. But when Karen came through the door, the game was up — she was funny, clever, gorgeous and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it. A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too.
- We knew Karen was perfect for the role the moment we saw her. She brought an energy and excitement to the part that was just fantastic.
- Piers Wenger, on casting Gillan as Amy Pond, as quoted in "Doctor Who's new companion unveiled as 21-year-old Karen Gillan" in The Guardian (29 May 2009)