László Moholy-Nagy (July 20, 1895 – November 24, 1946) was a Hungarian painter and photographer as well as professor in the Bauhaus school. He was highly influenced by Constructivism. He was a strong advocate of the integration of technology and industry into the arts.
|This article about an artist is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- My talent lies in the expression of my life and creative power through light, colour and form. As a painter I can convey the essence of life.
- Art of the 20th century, Part 1 by Karl Ruhrberg, Klaus Honnef, Manfred Schneckenburger, Ingo F. Walther, Christiane Fricke (2000) p. 178.
- The photogram, image formation outside the camera is the real key to photography,it embodies the essence... that allows us to capture light on light sensitive material without the use of any camera.
- Art of the 20th century, Part 1 by Karl Ruhrberg, Klaus Honnef, Manfred Schneckenburger, Ingo F. Walther, Christiane Fricke (2000) p. 627.
- The experience of space is not a privilege of the gifted few, but a biological function.
- Moholy-Nagy by László Moholy-Nagy (1970) p. 238.
- Designing is not a profession but an attitude.
- Vision in Motion by László Moholy-Nagy (Chicago, III.: Paul Theobald, 1947) p. 42.
Quotes about Moholy Nagy
- Not all Constructivists concentrate so strongly on reality. There are those for whom inner life plays an important part, such as the non-Russian Moholy Nagy, Kassak, and Baumeister etc. Their art painting figures often have a more symbolic meaning.. .Sometimes without any direct connection to reality.. .Moholy Nagy’s work is 'l’art pour l’art' - as opposed to El Lissitsky who is demonstrative.. ..in as much as he propagates the Bolshevist morale of not dreaming but doing.
- Moholy Nagy, [in contrast to El Lissitsky ], does not muddle the various technical areas, but limits each technique to its own area. Later, when he applies himself more to photography and film [in America], he champions pure photography and film and opposes the imitation of the art of painting in these areas.
- http://moholy-nagy.org/ Moholy-Nagi Foundation with extended biography, list of publications and many art -images]