Les Misérables (1998 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Les Misérables is a 1998 film about a former criminal, who has atoned for his past and now finds himself in the midst of the French Revolution, avoiding a law-obsessed policeman hell-bent on capturing him.
- Directed by Bille August. Written by Rafael Yglesias, based on the Victor Hugo novel of the same name.
The legend comes to life.
- Nineteen years, now the real punishment begins.
- [to Fantine, as he is being taken away] This is right, my dear. I stole something, I did. I stole happiness with you. I don't mind paying.
- Reform is a discredited fantasy. Modern science tells us that people are by nature, law breakers or law abiders. A wolf could wear sheep's clothing but he's still a wolf.
- [about Valjean] He lies so well, doesn't he? He's had a lot of practice. A lifetime of lies.
- It's a pity the law doesn't allow me to be merciful.
- I didn't breathe when you spoke. I was afraid I'd miss a word.
- Mme. Gilot: [sharing their meal] What crime did you commit?
- Jean Valjean: Maybe I killed someone... How do you know I'm not going to murder you?
- Bishop: How do you know I'm not going to murder you?
- Jean Valjean: What is that - a joke?
- Bishop: I guess we'll have to trust each other.
- Bishop: Now don't forget, don't ever forget, you've promised to become a new man.
- Jean Valjean: Promise? Wha, Why are you doing this?
- Bishop: Jean Valjean my brother you no longer belong to evil. With this silver, I have bought your soul. I've ransomed you from fear and hatred, and now I give you back to God.
- Jean Valjean: You look better everyday.
- Fantine: Liar.
- Jean Valjean: When you're better, I'll find work for you.
- Fantine: But you don't understand, I'm a whore... and Cosette has no father.
- Jean Valjean: She has the Lord. He is her father. And you're his creation. In his eyes, you have never been anything but an innocent and... beautiful woman.
- Jean Valjean: You might be making a mistake.
- Javert: Mistake? What kind of mistake is that?
- Jean Valjean: Sometimes, people move into town to start a new slate, you might be doing more harm than good by prying into their private lives.
- Javert: Monsieur, a serious... a grave violation of the public trust has been committed. An inferior has shown a complete lack of respect for the law. He must be exposed and punished.
- Jean Valjean: Who is the offender?
- Javert: I am. I slandered you Monsieur le maire, I'm here to ask that you demand my dismissal.
- Judge: Monsieur le maire, I know you to be a kind man, but this...
- Jean Valjean: A kind? A kind man? When I was in prison I was as ignorant and mean and devious as these men here, but not kind. And I wish I could keep my mouth shut and let this poor wretch suffer for me, but... continue with your investigation, monsieur, you will find further proof that I am Valjean.
- Jean Valjean: Brevet, Lombard, Bertin. Look at me. You recognize me? I recognize you, Brevet. You were an informer in Toulon, I see you're still a snitch.
- Brevet: Valjean?
- Jean Valjean: Hello, Brevet. [turns to Lombard] And you, Lombard, don't look at my fancy clothes, don't look at my scraped chin. Look at my eyes. You called yourself Godless, right? You've got a scar on your left shoulder. I gave it to you the night you tried to kill me, remember? When I pinned you over the stove.
- Lombard: It is you...
- Jean Valjean: Show the court your scar.
- [Lombard bares his shoulder revealing the scar]
- Jean Valjean: Bertin, the hollow of your left arm, there's a date tatooed, 1789, the year of the revolution. Show them!
- [Bertin rolls up his sleave to reveal the tattoo]
- Jean Valjean: I know these men, Monsieur le President, and they know me. I am the man you want. I am Jean Valjean.
- Captain Beauvais: [pointing a pistol at Valjean with a trembling hand] Are you a convict? Is that true?
- Jean Valjean: Yes.
- Captain Beauvais: Where's the inspector, in there?
- Jean Valjean: Inside.
- Captain Beauvais: Did you kill him?
- [Valjean shakes his head]
- Captain Beauvais: [lowers his pistol] That's a pity. [hands over his pistol to Valjean] You'd better hit me hard enough... to make a lump.
- Marius: If we can't win today, then none of us have a future.
- Jean Valjean: You have love. That's the only future God gives us.
- Cosette: Please tell me what this is all about, papa. Please, please tell me what this is. Please, what is it?
- Jean Valjean: [stammering] I... I am a convict. When I was young... just your age I was very poor, I was starving. One day, I stood in front of the window. A window full of bread, there was just glass between me... and not being hungry anymore, it was so easy. So I broke it... and took what I wanted. Then they caught me... and put me in chains for almost 19 years. They did things to me... I can't tell you about it, and I did things, there in jail. Terrible things. I became an animal. They took my dignity, they took everything from me.
- Liam Neeson - Jean Valjean
- Geoffrey Rush - Javert
- Uma Thurman - Fantine
- Claire Danes - Cosette
- Mimi Newman - young Cosette
- Hans Matheson - Marius Pontmercy
- Jon Kenny and Gillian Hanna - the Thénardiers
- John McGlynn - Carnot
- Kelly Hunter - Mme Victurien
- Shane Hervey - Gavroche
- Lennie James - Enjolras
- Sylvie Koblizkova - Éponine
- Peter Vaughan - Bishop Myriel
- Julian Rhind-Tutt - Bamatabois
- David Birkin - Courfeyrac
- Ben Crompton - Grantier
- Patsy Byrne - Toussaint
- Frank O'Sullivan - Brevet
- Christopher Adamson - Bertin
- Tim Barlow - Lafitte
- Shannon McCormick - Redheaded Gendarme
- Reine Brynolfsson - Captain Beauvais
- Kathleen Byron - Mother Superior
- Toby Jones - Doorkeeper
- Edward Tudor Pole - Landlord