Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mahesh Sharma (born 30 September 1959) is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). On 1 September 2014, he was appointed the Minister of State for Culture. Prior to joining politics he was a physician.
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- We discussed education and culture and how we can inculcate values. The other issue was pollution of ideology, national ideology...Some people alleged that we are doing saffronisation. If at all saffronisation has been done, it has been done by the public of India. We accept the mandate of the people.
- On saffronisation, as quoted in "'Saffronisation' Done by Public When They Gave Mandate to BJP: Mahesh Sharma" Outlook (7 September 2015)
- We will cleanse every area of public discourse that has been westernised and where Indian culture and civilisation need to be restored - be it the history we read or our cultural heritage or our institutes that have been polluted over years.
- On westernisation, as quoted in "Centre targets 'cultural pollution'" Calcutta Telegraph (7 September 2015)
- Gita and Ramayana reflect India's soul. But we also respect Quran and would include best thoughts from it. I respect Bible and Quran but they are not central to soul of India in the way as Gita and Ramayana are. As India's cultural minister, I recommend that Ramayana and Gita should be part of our school curriculum and I am working extensively with HRD Minister Smriti Irani towards this.
- On introducing the Gita in schools, as quoted in "Quran and Bible are not central to India's soul: Mahesh Sharma" India Today (14 September 2015)
- Girls wanting a night out may be all right elsewhere but it is not part of Indian culture.
- As quoted in "Girls Night Out Against Indian Culture: Union Culture Minister" The New Indian Express (19 September 2015)
- If someone claims the incident was pre-planned, I completely refute this. What happened was an accident. It is unfortunate.
- On the 2015 Dadri mob lynching, as quoted in "Dadri lynching: Mob murder an accident, arrested youths too will get justice, says Mahesh Sharma" The Indian Express (3 October 2015)
- You run an NGO, wear jeans ripped at the knees, move about in society, children are with you, what values you will teach?
- Criticizing a random woman he met on a plane, as quoted in "Why India is talking about ripped jeans and knees" by Geeta Pandey, BBC News (22 March 2021)