Mannequin is a 1987 film about a down-on-his-luck Philadelphia artist who falls in love with a mannequin he created for a department store window. The mannequin was once a real-life princess from Ancient Egypt, and inspires him to become the best window dresser in town.
- Directed by Michael Gottlieb. Written by Michael Gottlieb and Edward Rugoff. Starring Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall.
Ema "Emmy" Hesire
- Mother, there's got to be a better way. Please, gods. Please help me find it.
- [introducing herself] My name is Ema Hesire, but you can call me Emmy.
- [to Jonathan, coming to life] When you were making me, didn't you feel a certain inspiration? Almost like your hands were moved by force not of this world? You made this body so that I could come to life!
- Tonight, we're gonna do something special, something that this store has never seen before!
- You've got good hands. I liked the way they felt when you were putting me together.
- [looking at a stereo system playing] Where do they hide all the musicians?
- [to his boss] I'm fired, pick up my paycheck on the way out, never come back...
- [seeing Mannequin Emmy in a store window] It's you! I wanted to take you home, but they wouldn't let me. You know you're the first thing I've created in a really long time that made me feel like an artist.
- I must be losing my mind. I guess all artists fall in love with their work, but you just seem so special.
- [on the phone] Mom, lemme ask you, did I ever do anything really strange as a child? Is there any history of insanity in the family?
- Why don't we stick to good old-fashioned hand tools for the time being, okay?
- I'm not the same guy I used to be. I finally found a place where I belong.
- [introducing himself] Hollywood. Hollywood Montrose. Ooh! Doesn't it just sing!
- [to Jonathan] At least, she'll never tell you that your hips are too fat.
- Diets don't work! It's those jelly doughnuts. They call to me in the middle of the night: "Hollywood. Come and get me, Hollywood!" I can't stay away from them. It's like you and women's dressing rooms.
- Rumor Control has it that the board wants to fire your little behind. You let me in there at those so-and-sos. I'll straighten them out, tout de suite. How can they think of firing you?
- It's obvious to this country girl that you're an A-number one creative freak. Imagine pretending you're a stock boy when you're a major artiste. I am so jealous.
- You know I would never bother you when you're getting a piece of wood, but this is muy importante. Your Hollywood needs help. I need your creative muse.
- [to Jonathan] Please. Listen, I pride myself on being able to size up a job applicant and see just what kind of executive potential he has. I have just the job for you.
- [at the board room] We would all love to know what possessed Switcher to create such a window display. Did you see those crowds gaping on the sidewalks? It's an embarrassment!
- What arrogance! That worm of a stock boy has created an affront to the dignity of this store. I'll have it taken down immediately and make sure that lunatic never works in this town again.
- Well, you must lead a charmed life. It was all I could do to save your skin in there. No thanks are necessary, Switcher!
- [to Felix] You people that work at night scare me.
- [to himself] I've put my future in the hands of a vegetable.
- Claire Timkin: Mr. Richards, this store has never been more successful, and it's all due to Jonathan Switcher. I don't care if he puts a rubber glove on his head and runs naked around the store screaming: "Hi, I'm a squid!"
- Roxie Shield: [notices Jonathan with Emmy, suddenly surprised] Jonathan, you're riding around town with a mannequin on the back of your motorcycle! What is wrong with this picture?!
- Captain Felix Maxwell: [after Emmy, as a mannequin, has flipped off him and Mr. Richards] Enough of this surveillance crap! Captain Felix Maxwell takes this from no mannequin!
- Emmy: Mother, I don't want to settle down. I want to do things, I want to invent things, I want to try things that nobody's ever tried before... I want to fly.
- Emmy's Mother: [sarcastic] Sure and I want to smoke and tell your father to go to hell! Emmy, if I thought we women could any way change anything, don't you think I'd encourage you?
- Mannequin Factory Boss: You know, you could get the dummy of the week award, Switcher.
- Jonathan: She turned out pretty good, didn't she?
- Mannequin Factory Boss: I wasn't talking about her.
- Jonathan: [serious] This job at Illustra is destroying your sense of humor. You gotta quit.
- Roxie: I'm not the one who can't deal with reality.
- Jonathan: Reality is very disappointing.
- Roxie: I think you should see a professional.
- Jonathan: A professional? What do you mean, a hooker?
- Roxie: No, I mean a psychiatrist.
- Jonathan: I can't afford a psychiatrist.
- Roxie: Then call one of those shrinks on the radio.
- Jonathan: A radio shrink? They're only good for people with problems that fit between the commercials.
- Roxie: Good night, Jonathan.
- Claire: I don't know how we're going to make this store great again.
- Jonathan: Looks fine to me. What time do we open?
- Claire: [sighs sadly] We are open.
- Jonathan: Oh... Well, I'm sure things will pick up by lunch.
- Hollywood: I am so glad you're working here!
- Jonathan: [surprised] You are?
- Hollywood: Well, of course I am, darling. I never thought they would hire anyone stranger than me.
- Felix: Just what is your assignment here tonight, boy?
- Jonathan: I'm helping Hollywood with the window.
- Felix: Oh, the little Mary has an assistant now? Where do you people from come from?
- Jonathan: Ohio.
- Felix: [surprised] Ohio? You mean they got 'em in Ohio?
- Hollywood: Don't let Felix get to you. He just has a bad case of Miami Vice.
- Jonathan: Listen, I gotta go, okay? I promised my girlfriend I was gonna take her out tonight.
- Jonathan: Hollywood, I don't know about men's thighs! They look fine to me, they really do!
- Hollywood: Thank you. Albert called me "cellulite city". Maybe he's right. Maybe I should have my hips lifted.
- Hollywood: An artiste never leaves his work unfinished.
- Jonathan: No, it looks fine to me.
- Hollywood: In that case, I'm a dream that once was.
- Emmy: Tonight, we're gonna do something different and special. Something that this store has never seen before. I just wish you didn't look so worried.
- Jonathan: That's easy for you to say. You're a mannequin, you'll always have work. Me, I'm gonna wind up in the nuthouse after this. I wonder if insanity is covered in the employee health plan?
- Jonathan: [on seeing Emmy alive] You know the mannequin that I made? Well, she's there! She came to life, and she knew who I was!
- Roxie: You could have decided to tell me that you wanted to stand me up. Instead, you come here to me lying with this ridiculous story!
- Jonathan: No, I'm not lying, I'm insane.
- Roxie: Armand, let's just get out of here.
- Claire: Good news, Jonathan. We've not only decided to keep you on, but I'm promoting you to visual merchandising.
- Jonathan: [surprised] You're kidding! That's great! What is it?
- Claire: Just keep doing what you did last night and you'll be fine.
- Jonathan: Mrs. Timkin, I'm not sure I can do it again. Last night might have been a one-time inspiration.
- Claire: [encouraging] Oh Jonathan, don't doubt yourself. Go with it. Feel it. You're doing the job you were meant to do.
- Mr. Richards: Well, you must lead a charmed life. It was all I could do to save your skin in there. No thanks are necessary, Switcher!
- Mr. Richards: Listen, that new stock boy, Switcher, has been promoted. He'll be doing windows at night. I just want you to keep an eye on him for me.
- Felix: Do you suspect pilferage, sir? I'd be happy to strip-search him.
- Mr. Richards: You people that work at night scare me. I want you to just watch him, let me know what he's up to, how he works.
- Jonathan: [coming out of the elevator] Easy, Felix! I don't think she's armed!
- Felix: You can fool Rambo, but it won't work with me, Switcher! My brain is quicker than...
- [before he can finish his sentence, the elevator doors close on him]
- Jonathan: Just when I think you're real, you vanish. What's with you? What's with me?
- Emmy: Didn't I tell you? You're the only one who can see me like this.
- Jonathan: It's not exactly fair, is it?
- Emmy: [points to the sky] Talk to them.
- Roxie: [seeing Jonathan with Emmy] I really should have listened when he asked me for help.
- Armand: When you were making love to him, did he ever scream "Don't stop, Woody!"? [laughs]
- [Roxie pushes Armand down the escalator]
- Roxie: [hearing something break, alarmed] Oh, my camera!
- Felix: [seeing Jonathan with Emmy] Switcher, you are one sick puppy!
- Jonathan: [shocked] No, this is how I get my inspiration. I create. And I can tell by looking at you, you're not the artistic type.
- Felix: [cracks his fingers] You know, Mr. Richards told me to keep an eye on you. But I think I'm gonna handle things my own way.
- Jonathan: [seeing Emmy behind Felix, suddenly surprised] How did you do that?
- Emmy: I was standing right behind him, he didn't see me.
- Jonathan: Teach him to mess with a man and his mannequin.
- Jonathan: How do you know you're not missing something better 5,000 years from now?
- Emmy: Nothing could ever be better than being here with you.
- Jonathan: This is one guy who is never gonna leave your side.
- Roxie: Jonathan, I wanna give you one last chance. Now, come to Illustra!
- Jonathan: What is in this for you, Roxie? An office with a view? I don't need Illustra or you. I have friends here, people who care. And someone who makes me feel good about myself. Goodbye, Roxie.
- [Jonathan and Emmy leave Prince and Company on his motorcycle]
- Roxie: [shouts after him] You'll be sorry! You're making a serious mistake!
- Roxie: [seeing Jonathan and Emmy leaving] He's out of his mind! B.J. was right. When I get that dummy, I'm gonna just tear her hair out!
- Armand: Roxie! You know what you need to do right now? You need to put him and this whole nasty affair out of your mind. Now, how is the best way to do that, huh? By having a night of distasteful sex with someone you care absolutely nothing about! And proudly, I would like to be that person.
- Roxie: Fine, let's go to your place.
- Armand: [suddenly surprised] Really?
- Roxie: Drive fast before I have second thoughts!
- Armand: Armand is the wind!
- Felix: [handing Mr. Richards a container of show polish] Here, Mr. Richards. You had better put some camouflage on, sir.
- Mr. Richards: I am not going to put shoe polish on my face, thank you. Now, could we please get into the store, Felix?
- Felix: [seeing Jonathan and Emmy leaving] It's him! It's her! Oooh, that little prevert! He's stealing her before we can!
- Mr. Richards: Okay, let's not do anything rash! We'll follow them quietly and look for just the right moment to grab them.
- Felix: Don't worry, Mr. Richards. I'm an expert at surveillance. Hang on!
- [They begin chasing Jonathan and Emmy]
- Jonathan: Mrs. Timkin, those video cameras. Did they pick up everything last night?
- Claire: [smiles coyly] I only saw what I needed to see.
- Roxie: [to Emmy] Just where do you come from?
- Jonathan: Roxie, you would never understand.
- [Jonathan and Emmy leave the store room before Roxie]
- Hollywood: [snaps his fingers to B.J. in a justified manner] Mm-hmm.
- Jonathan Switcher loved talking to his work, but he never expected it to talk back. Now his life's heading in a different direction.
- Sometimes life is strange and wonderful... he's strange and she's wonderful. She may be a mannequin, but he's no dummy.
- Just because Jonathan Switcher has fallen in love with a piece of wood, it doesn't make him a dummy.
- Some guys have all the luck!
- When she comes to life, anything can happen!
|Andrew McCarthy||Jonathan Switcher|
|Kim Cattrall||Ema "Emmy" Hesire|
|Estelle Getty||Claire Timkin|
|James Spader||Mr. Richards|
|G. W. Bailey||Captain Felix Maxwell|
|Meshach Taylor||Hollywood Montrose|
|Carole Davis||Roxie Shield|
|Steve Vinovich||B.J. Wert|
|Phyllis Newman||Emmy's Mother|