Mannequin is a 1987 film about a struggling Philadelphia artist who falls in love with a mannequin he created for a department store window. The mannequin was once a real-life princess from ancient Egypt, and inspires him to become the best window dresser in town.
- Directed by Michael Gottlieb. Written by Michael Gottlieb and Edward Rugoff. Starring Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall.
Ema "Emmy" Hesire
- There's got to be a better way. Please, God, please, help me find it.
- My name is Ema Hesire, but you can call me Emmy.
- [to Jonathon] You've got good hands. I liked the way they felt when you were putting me together.
- Tonight we're gonna do something special, something this store has never seen before!
- [looking at a stereo system playing] Where do they hide all the musicians?
- [to Mannequin Emmy] Speak up, don't be shy.
- [to his boss] I'm fired, pick up my paycheck on the way out, never come back...
- [seeing Mannequin Emmy in a store window] It's you! I wanted to take you home, but they wouldn't let me. You know you're the first thing I've created in a really long time that made me feel like an artist.
- I must be losing my mind. I guess all artists fall in love with their work, but you just seem so... special.
- Food additives. It's food additives.
- [on the phone] Mom, lemme ask you, did I ever do anything really strange as a child?... Is there any history of insanity in the family?
- If I'm one thing, I'm loyal.
- Teach him to mess with a man and his mannequin.
- Hollywood. Hollywood Montrose. Ooh! Doesn't it just sing!
- At least she'll never tell you that your hips are too fat.
- Don't let Felix get to you, he's just got a bad case of Miami Vice.
- Diets don't work! It's those jelly doughnuts, they call to me in the middle of the night. "Hollywood, Hollywood, come and get me Hollywood!"
- [to Jonathan] Imagine pretending you're a regular stock boy when you're an A-number-one arteest!
- You know I would never bother you when you're getting a piece of wood...
- I really should have listened when he asked me for help...
- Jonathan, you're riding around town with a mannequin on you back; What is wrong with this picture?!
- You must lead a charmed life, it was all I could do to save your skin in there. No thanks are necessary, Switcher!
- [to Felix] You people that work at night scare me.
- Captain Felix Maxwell: [to Jonathan] Switcher, you are one sick puppy!
- Mrs. Claire Prince Timkin: Mr. Richards, this store has never been more successful, and it's all due to Jonathan Switcher. I don't care if he puts a rubber glove on his head and runs naked around the store yelling: "Hi, I'm a squid!"
- Mannequin Factory Boss: You know, you could get the dummy of the week award, Switcher.
- Jonathan: She turned out pretty good, didn't she?
- Mannequin Factory Boss: I wasn't talking about her.
- Jonathan: This job at Illustra is destroying your sense of humor. You gotta quit.
- Roxie: I'm not the one who can't deal with reality.
- Jonathan: Reality is very disappointing.
- Roxie: I think you should see a professional.
- Jonathan: A professional? What do you mean, a hooker?
- Roxie: No, I mean a psychiatrist.
- Jonathan: I can't afford a psychiatrist.
- Roxie: Then call one of those shrinks on the radio.
- Jonathan: A radio shrink? They're only good for people with problems that fit between the commercials.
- Claire: If there's anything I could do for you--
- Jonathan: Yeah, I could use a job!
- Claire: What do you do?
- Jonathan: Anything!
- Claire: When can you start?
- Jonathan: Uh, as soon as I finish this!
- Claire: What is your name?
- Jonathan: Jonathan Switcher!
- Claire: You're hired!
- Jonathan: Thank you! It's my lucky day!
- Claire: I don't know how we're going to make this store great again.
- Jonathan: Looks fine to me. What time do we open?
- Claire: [sighs sadly] We are open.
- Jonathan: Oh...I'm sure things will pick up by lunch.
- Hollywood: I am so glad you're working here!
- Jonathan: You are?
- Hollywood: Well, of course I am, darling. I never thought they'd hire anyone stranger than me.
- Felix: Just what is your assignment here tonight, boy?
- Jonathan: I'm helping Hollywood with the window.
- Felix: Oh, the little Mary has an assistant now? Where do you people from come from?
- Jonathan: Ohio.
- Felix: [surprised] Ohio? You mean they got 'em in Ohio?
- Jonathan: Hollywood, I don't know about men's thighs! They look fine to me, they really do!
- Hollywood: Thank you. Albert called me "cellulite city". Maybe he's right. Maybe I should have my hips lifted.
- Hollywood: An artist never leaves his work unfinished.
- Jonathan: It looks fine to me.
- Hollywood: In that case, I'm a dream that once was.
- Emmy: Tonight, we'll do something different and special. Something that this store has never seen before. I just wish you didn't look so worried.
- Jonathan: That's easy for you to say. You're a mannequin, you'll always have work. Me, I'm gonna wind up in the nuthouse after this. I wonder if insanity is covered in the employee health plan...?
- Roxie: You could've decided to tell me that you wanted to stand me up. Instead, you come here to me lying with this ridiculous story!
- Jonathan: I'm not lying. I'm insane.
- Jonathan: [coming out of the elevator] Easy, Felix! I don't think she's armed!
- Felix: You can fool Rambo but it won't work with me, Switcher! My brain is quicker than [before he can finish his sentence, the elevator doors close on him]
- Jonathan: Just when I think you're real, you vanish. What's with you? What's with me?
- Emmy: Didn't I tell you? You're the only one who can see me like this.
- Jonathan: It's not exactly fair, is it?
- Emmy: [points to sky] Talk to them.
- Armand: When he was making love to you, did he ever scream "Don't stop, Woody!"? [laughs]
- [Roxie pushes him down the escalator]
- Roxie: [hearing something break, alarmed] Oh, my camera!
- Mrs. Thomas: Who's crying?
- Lupe: It's either our new vice president, the fairy... or the dummy!
- Armand: Roxie! Roxie, Roxie. You know what you need to do right now? You need to put him and this whole nasty affair out of your mind. Now, how is the best way to do that, huh? Huh? By having a night of distasteful sex with someone you care absolutely nothing about! And proudly, I would like to be that person.
- Roxie: ...Fine, let's go to your place
- Armand: Really?
- Roxie: Drive fast before I have second thoughts!
- Armand: Armand is the wind!
- Felix: Mr. Richards, you'd better put some camouflage on, sir.
- Mr. Richards: I am not going to put shoe polish on my face, thank you.
- Jonathan: And you can add kidnapping to that list, too.
- Wert: Kidnapping? Who?!
- Emmy: Me!
- Richards: Who are you?
- Felix: She's the dummy!
- Just because Jonathan's fallen in love with a piece of wood, it doesn't make him a dummy.
- Some guys have all the luck!
- When she comes to life, anything can happen!
|Andrew McCarthy||Jonathan Switcher|
|Kim Cattrall||Ema "Emmy" Hesire|
|Estelle Getty||Mrs. Claire Prince Timkin|
|James Spader||Mr. Richards|
|G. W. Bailey||Captain Felix Maxwell|
|Meshach Taylor||Hollywood Montrose|
|Carole Davis||Roxie Shield|
|Steve Vinovich||B. J. Wert|