Maximillian Adolph Otto Siegfried Schmeling (September 28, 1905 – February 2, 2005) was a German boxer whose two fights with Joe Louis transcended boxing and became worldwide social events because of their national associations.
|This sports figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I said to myself, 'You're a man from a humble background, what you didn't learn in school, you'll learn now. Catch up.
- On becoming famous. 
- Joe Louis is the hardest puncher that I've ever seen... He's a good man. Anyone who plans on beating him had better know what they're doing.
- Describing Joe's punching power. 
- I can't accept the title, to win it this way doesn't mean anything to me.
- I received a letter from the Reich Ministry of Sports. They want me to split from Joe Jacobs, my manager since 1928.... I really need Joe Jacobs. I owe all my success in America to him.