A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may be delivered by various means, including courier, telegraphy, carrier pigeon and electronic bus. A message can be the content of a broadcast. An interactive exchange of messages forms a conversation.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.
- The messenger gave heed to the words of his king. He journeyed by the starry night, and by day he travelled with Utu of heaven. Where and to whom will he carry the important message of Inana with its stinging tone? ... He stepped joyfully into the courtyard of Aratta, he made known the authority of his king. Openly he spoke out the words in his heart. The messenger transmitted the message to the lord of Aratta.
- His speech was substantial, and its contents extensive. The messenger, whose mouth was heavy, was not able to repeat it. Because the messenger, whose mouth was tired, was not able to repeat it, the lord of Kulaba patted some clay and wrote the message as if on a tablet. Formerly, the writing of messages on clay was not established. Now, under that sun and on that day, it was indeed so. The lord of Kulaba inscribed the message like a tablet. It was just like that.
- My life is my message.
- My songs has been my messages that I tried to scatter across the back sides and along the steps of the fire escapes and on the window sills and through the dark halls.
- Out of the world comes a behest to instill into the air a rapturous song for God, to incarnate in the stones a message of humble beauty.
- Abraham Joshua Heschel, Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity: Essays (1997), The Holy Dimension, p. 330.
- Man is a messenger who forgot the message.
- The "message" of any medium or technology is the change of scale or pace or pattern that it introduces into human affairs
- The message of radio is one of violent, unified implosion and resonance.
- The user of the electric light -- or a hammer, or a language, or a book -- is the content. As such, there is a total metamorphosis of the user by the interface. It is the metamorphosis that I consider the message.
- A message is given to many, but those who are meant to understand, understand.