Moana is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated musical fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 56th Disney animated feature film. The film is directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, and co-directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams. The film features music written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i and Mark Mancini.
The film tells the story of Moana, the strong-willed daughter of the chief of a Polynesian tribe, who is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite a mystical relic with a goddess. When a blight strikes her island, Moana sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod, in hopes to save her people.
Moana was released theatrically in the United States on November 23, 2016.
- [to the Ocean] Um...WHAT?! I said "help me"! And wrecking my boat...not helping! [she kicks, but the Ocean recedes, causing her to fall on her back] Fish pee in you! All day! So...[grunts in irritation]
- [from trailer] What's a demigod gotta do?
- Maui: The chicken lives!
- Moana: I'm here because you stole the heart of Te Feti... and you will board my boat and sail across the sea and put it back!
- Maui: [from trailer] Do you know who Maui is? Only the greatest demi-god of all the Pacific Islands, with his magical fish hook he slowed down the sun, pulled islands out of the sea, battled monsters! And I should know, because I'm Maui [to Mini Maui tattoo] Hey! Let me do this please.
- Maui: [using Heihei's beak to sign Moana's oar] When you use a bird to write with, it's called tweeting.
- Tamatoa: Can we be real? If my name was Sebastian and I had a cool Jamaican accent, you'd totally help me! You would, you know you would!
- Moana: Teach me to sail!
- Maui: Pfft.
- Moana: My job is to deliver Maui across the great ocean. I should - [she nearly falls over, but catches herself] - I should be sailing.
- Maui: It's called "wayfinding," princess. And it's not just sails and knots; it's seeing where you're going in your mind. Knowing where you are by knowing where you've been.
- Moana: Okay, first, I'm not a princess. I'm the daughter of the chief.
- Maui: Same difference.
- Moana: No.
- Maui: If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess.
- Maui: Alright, I'm out.
- [dives off of boat]
- Tamatoa: [to Moana] Are you just trying to get me to talk about myself? Because if you are... I will gladly do so! In song form!
- [repeated line when transforming]
- Maui: Ye-hoo!
- Maui: Really? Blow dart to my butt cheek?
- [Moana, who is covered in sparkling seashells, is snatched up by Tamatoa]
- Tamatoa: Oohoo hoo hoo hoo... What have we here? It's a sparkly shiny... Wait a minute. [tosses Moana into the air, making her lose the seashells covering her] Ugh... It's a human! What're you doing down here, in the Realm of the Mons-? [Tamatoa's eyes are twitching differently causing Moana to constantly look back and forth between them] Just pick an eye, babe. I cant... I can't concentrate on what I'm saying if you keep- Yeah, pick one! Pick one!
- Maui (cannonballing into the Realm of Monsters): I am still falling!
- Moana: Are you okay? [Maui doesn't respond] Maui?
- [Maui turns around and shows Moana his cracked hook]
- Maui: [upset] I told you to turn back.
- Moana: I thought we could make it.
- Maui: We?
- Moana: I thought... I could make it. We can fix it.
- Maui: It was made by the Gods. You can't fix it!
- Moana: Next time, we'll be more careful. Te Kā was stuck on the barrier islands. It's lava. It can't go in the water. We can find another way around.
- Maui: I'm not going back.
- Moana: What...? You still have to restore the heart.
- Maui: My hook is cracked. One more hit and it's over.
- Moana: Maui, you have to restore the heart!
- Maui: Without my hook, I am nothing.
- Moana: That's not true.
- Maui: [angrily shouts] WITHOUT MY HOOK, I AM NOTHING!!
- [Moana is scared from his shouting, Maui drops the heart of Te Fiti on the boat, but Moana picks it up]
- Moana: We're only here because you stole the heart in the first place!
- Maui: No, we're here because the ocean thought you were special and you believed it.
- Moana: [with courage] I am Moana of Motunui. You will board my boat...
- Maui: [deadpan] Goodbye, Moana.
- Moana: Sail across the sea...
- Maui: I'm not killing myself, so you can prove something that you're not!
- Moana: And restore the heart of Te Fiti! The ocean chose me!
- Maui: It chose wrong. [Maui transforms himself into a hawk and flies away]
- Moana: MAUI! [Maui ignores her]
- Auli'i Cravalho as Moana Waialiki
- Louise Bush as the singing voice of young Moana
- Dwayne Johnson as Maui
- Rachel House as Gramma Tala
- Temuera Morrison as Chief Tui Waialiki
- Christopher Jackson as the singing voice of Tui
- Nicole Scherzinger as Sina Waialiki
- Jemaine Clement as Tamatoa
- Alan Tudyk as Heihei
- Tudyk also voices Villager #3
- Oscar Kightley as Fisherman
- Troy Polamalu as Villager #1
- Pua is voiced by several pigs