Moana (2016 film)
Moana is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated musical fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 56th Disney animated feature film. The film is directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, and co-directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams. The film features music written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i and Mark Mancina.
The film tells the story of Moana, the strong-willed daughter of the chief of a Polynesian tribe, who is chosen by the ocean itself to reunite a mystical relic with a goddess. When a blight strikes her island, Moana sets sail in search of Maui, a legendary demigod, in hopes to save her people.
Moana was released theatrically in the United States on November 23, 2016.
- [to the Ocean] Um...What?! I said "help me", and wrecking my boat...? Not helping! [she kicks, but the Ocean recedes, causing her to fall on her back] Fish pee in you...all day! So... [grunts in irritation]
- I am Moana of Motunui. You will board my boat, sail across the sea, and restore the heart of Te Fiti! The ocean chose me!
I've been standing at the edge of water
longer than I can remember,
No matter how hard I try.
I wish I could be a perfect daughter,
But I come back to the water,
No matter how hard I try.
Every step I take,
Every track I tracked,
Every day leads back to the place I know that I cannot go!
What is wrong with me?
I see the wind in the sail and the sea and it calls me.
And no one knows
How far it goes
I'll be sailing through the seas in time no more
I know everybody on this island lives so happy in this island,
Everything is by design,
I wish I could go back to the water,
But I know I cannot go.
Every step I take,
Every track I track,
Every day leads back to the place I know that I cannot go,
I am going in
See the wind in my sail and sea,
I'll call through,
And no one knows how far it goes!
- [from trailer] What's a demigod gotta do?
- [offscreen] I am still falling!
- If you start singing, I'm gonna throw up.
- You're welcome.
- [to Mini-Maui] No mortal's gonna jump into the Realm of... [Moana lands on him, bounces off of him and tumbles down a cliff] Well, she's dead.
- [While trying to sail beyond the reef into the open sea, Moana gets her boat wrecked and her foot jammed in the corals and bruised. Washed back onto the shore, Moana is spotted by Gramma]
- Gramma: Whatever just happened, blame it on the pig.
- Moana: [to Gramma] ...Why are you acting weird?
- Gramma: I'm a village's crazy lady. That's my job.
- Villager: [blowing horn to alarm Tui] Chief! It's your mother! [Tui and Moana run back to Tala's home where she is laid on the ground with a blanket]
- Tui: [shocked] Mother. [sighs] What can be done?
- Villager: I don't know.
- Gramma: [weakly] Go.
- Moana: [tears up] Gramma?
- Gramma: Go.
- Moana: Not now. I can't.
- Gramma: You must. The ocean chose you. Follow the fish hook...
- Moana: Gramma.
- Gramma: [continues] And when you find Maui, you grab him by his ear. You say...I am Moana of Motunui! You will board my boat, sail across the sea, and restore the heart of Te Fiti!
- Moana: [tearing up more] I can't leave you.
- Gramma: There is nowhere you could go where I won't be with you. Go.
- Moana: [Clears throat] Maui, shapeshifter, demigod of the wind and sea. I am Moana of–
- Maui: Hero of men.
- Moana: [confused] W-what?
- Maui: It's actually "Maui, shapeshifter, demigod of the wind and sea, hero of men". I interrupted. From the top. "Hero of men." Go.
- Moana: [pause] I am Moana of–
- Maui: Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry. "And women." "Men and women." Both. All. Not a "guy/girl" thing. You know, Maui is a hero to all. You're doing great.
- Moana: [pointing at Maui with her oar] What? No! I'm here to–
- Maui: Oh! Of course! Of course! Yes! Yes, yes, yes! Maui always has time for his fans. [Maui takes Moana's oar, and pulls Heihei out of the sand. He uses Heihei's beak to sign the oar] When you use a bird to write with, it's called tweeting. [throws Heihei over his shoulder and hands the oar back to Moana] Huh? I know. Not every day you get a chance to meet your hero.
- [Moana, after looking at her oar, uses it to hit Maui in the gut. Maui bends over, and Moana grabs him by the ear.]
- Moana: You are not my hero, and I'm not here so you can sign my oar! I'm here because you stole the heart of Te Fiti...and you will board my boat and sail across the sea and put it back!
- Maui: Um...Yeah. You almost sounded like you don’t like me which is impossible because I got stuck here for 1,000 years trying to get the heart as a gift for you mortals. So you can have the power to create life itself. Yeah. So what I believe you are trying to say is Thank You.
- Moana: Thank you?!
- Maui: You’re welcome.
- Maui: [from trailer] Do you know who Maui is? Only the greatest demi-god of all the Pacific Islands! With his magic fish hook, he slowed down the sun! Pulled islands out of the sea! Battled monsters! And I should know... because I'm Maui. [to Mini Maui tattoo] Hey! Let me do this please.
- Moana: Teach me to sail!
- Maui: Pfft.
- Moana: My job is to deliver Maui across the great ocean. I should– [she nearly falls over, but catches herself] I should be sailing.
- Maui: It's called "wayfinding", princess, and it's not just sails and knots, it's seeing where you're going in your mind. Knowing where you are by knowing where you've been.
- Moana: Okay, first, I'm not a princess. I'm the daughter of the chief.
- Maui: Same difference.
- Moana: No.
- Maui: If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess. You are not a wayfinder. You will never be a wayfinder. You will never be a way... [paused by the ocean putting a blow dart on his butt cheek and faints] Really? Blow dart to my butt cheek? You are a bad person.
- Moana: If you can talk, you can teach. Wayfinding. Lesson one. Hit it.
- Maui: [groans] Pull the sheet. [Moana selects a line]. Not the sheet.
- [Moana, who is covered in sparkling seashells, is snatched up by Tamatoa]
- Tamatoa: Oohoo hoo hoo hoo...What have we here? It's a sparkly shiny...Wait a minute. [tosses Moana into the air, making her lose the seashells covering her] Ugh...It's a human! What're you doing down here in the Realm of the Mons–? [Tamatoa's eyes are twitching, causing Moana to look back and forth between them] Just pick an eye, babe. I can't...I can't concentrate on what I'm saying if you keep- Yeah, pick one. Pick one!
- Maui: [cannonballing into the Realm of Monsters] I am still falling!
- Moana: Are you okay? [Maui doesn't respond] Maui?
- [Maui turns around and shows Moana his cracked hook]
- Maui: [upset] I told you to turn back.
- Moana: I thought we could make it.
- Maui: "We"?
- Moana: I thought...I could make it. We can fix it.
- Maui: It was made by the Gods. You can't fix it!
- Moana: Next time, we'll be more careful. Te Kā was stuck on the barrier islands. It's lava. It can't go in the water. We can find another way around.
- Maui: I'm not going back.
- Moana: What...? We still have to restore the heart.
- Maui: My hook is cracked. One more hit and it's over.
- Moana: Maui, you have to restore the heart!
- Maui: Without my hook, I am nothing.
- Moana: That's not true.
- Maui: [angrily shouts] WITHOUT MY HOOK, I AM NOTHING!!!
- [Moana is scared from his shouting, Maui drops the heart of Te Fiti on the boat, but Moana picks it up]
- Moana: We are only here because you stole the heart in the first place!
- Maui: No, we're here because the ocean told you you’re special and you believed it.
- Moana: [with courage] I am Moana of Motunui. You will board my boat...
- Maui: [deadpan] Goodbye, Moana.
- Moana: Sail across the sea...
- Maui: I'm not killing myself, so you can prove you’re something you're not!
- Moana: And restore the heart of Te Fiti! The ocean chose me!
- Maui: They chose wrong. [Maui transforms are not working] Ugh! Stupid hook! [Maui transforms himself into a hawk and flies away]
- Moana: Maui! [Maui ignores her and gives up as the ocean heard what happened] Why did you bring me here? [pauses] I'm not the right person. [gives the heart of Te-fiti to the ocean] You have to choose someone else. [heartbroken] Choose someone else, please. [the ocean takes it, falls through the bottom of the ocean, and Moana starts to cry until she sees a light glowing up that happens to be her now-deceased grandmother as the Manta Ray]
- Gramma: [offscreen] You're a long ways past the reef.
- Moana: [shocked] Gramma?
- Gramma: [smiles] Guess I chose the right tattoo.
- Moana: Gramma! [runs to her and hugs her] I tried Gramma, I couldn't do it. [still crying]
- Gramma: [forgives her] It's not your fault. I never should've put so much on your shoulders. If you are ready to go home, I will be there with you.
- Maui: [packing up supplies] Gonna miss you, drumsticks.
- Moana: You can come with us you know. My people are going to need a master wayfinder.
- Maui: They already have one. [shows a picture of the master wayfinder on his chest]
- Moana: [close to tears and hugs Maui] See you out there Maui.
- Maui: See you out there Moana. CHEE-HOO! [transforms into a giant hawk while letting out guysers of water and Moana travels back to her island while it's restoring energy while Sina and Tui see a boat with Moana coming back]
- Moana: Mom! Dad! [comes further to land]
- Sina: [offscreen] Moana! [hugs Moana]
- Moana: [apologizes] I may have gone a little ways past the reef by myself.
- Tui: [chuckles] It suits you. [Villagers come back to reunite with Moana]
- Villager 1: [offscreen] She's back!
- Villager 2: [offscreen] Moana! [Pua runs to Moana]
- Moana: Pua! [hugs Moana]
- Villager: Welcome home! [as Hei Hei was about to go to the ocean it stops him and turns him around walking to the villagers as the scene cuts to the villagers pulling the boat for a long journey. Before Moana makes a move, she finds a shell from the ocean and puts it on top of the stone and as they move, Moana shows the villagers the ropes of wayfinding, the Manta Ray (which is also Gramma Tala) comes as Moana feels the current and takes a look at her people such as the giant hawk (which is Maui) and takes a look at the new island before cutting to the main title]
- [In the end-credits scene]
- [Last lines]
- Tamatoa: Shiny, I'm so shiny...Didn't help me though did it. Still upside-down here. Just need a little push. [sighs] Can we be real? If my name was Sebastian and I had a cool Jamaican accent, you'd totally help me. You would. You know you would. [fades to black]
- Auli'i Cravalho as Moana Waialiki
- Louise Bush as Young Moana
- Dwayne Johnson as Maui
- Rachel House as Gramma Tala
- Temuera Morrison as Chief Tui Waialiki
- Christopher Jackson (Singing Voice, Uncredited)
- Nicole Scherzinger as Sina Waialiki
- Phillip Soo (Singing Voice, Unspecified Villager, Uncredited)
- Jemaine Clement as Tamatoa
- Alan Tudyk as Heihei
- Oscar Kightley as Fisherman
- Troy Polamalu, Puanani Cravalho and Alan Tudyk as Villagers of Motunui