- Well, if I did cooperate with Waheed, this country will go down the drain immediately. The people of this country elected a leader, and that was me. I have been removed forcefully and they want me back. But, I’m saying “Okay, let’s have new elections and see who the people want again”. If I step aside, if I join the Rebel Government, the people of this country will lose faith.
- Quoted in an interview with Stephen Sackur on BBC News, Interview with Mohamed Nasheed: "Mohamed Nasheed: Unity government 'will not happen'", February 15, 2012.
- One time they said it was terrorism, another time they said it was acting against the constitution, another time they said it was alcohol.
- Decca Aitkenhead (1 April 2012). "Dictatorship is coming back to the Maldives and democracy is slipping away". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 April 2012: Nasheed about the official charges against him in the Maldive.
- My message to you is continue the protests, continue despite the odds, and eventually, together, we will reach that crucial number, 350.
- Speech about the Maldives, Interview with Mohamed Nasheed, April 2, 2012.
- We believe that the only prudent way forward and the solution is for Waheed to resign and the speaker of parliament to take over the government until elections are over.
- Quoted on BBC News, "Maldives crisis: Nasheed urges President Waheed to quit", October 21, 2013.
- I graciously accept defeat. We lost by a very small margin. Democracy is a process. It is up to us to make it work. The MDP has always asked for a government elected by the people. Today is a happy day for the Maldives - we now have an elected government.
- Quoted on BBC News, "Maldives election: Abdulla Yameen wins run-off vote", November 16, 2013.
- Over the past few weeks, as the world commemorates Nelson Mandela, an uncomfortable spotlight has been shone on Conservatives who branded the ANC as terrorists in the 1980s,” he says in an article on the UK ConservativeHome website. How will today’s crop of Conservative climate refuseniks explain themselves to future generations, in a world made hotter, nasty and poor by global warming? There is nothing Conservative about advocating for the destruction of the climate, and thus all we hold dear. This is not a credible Conservative standpoint: it is reckless and extreme.
- Quoted on BBC News, "Mohamed Nasheed: climate denying Conservatives “risk irrelevancy”", January 14, 2014.
- Elections should be held only by the elections commission. The efforts by Jumhoory Party leader Gasim Ibrahim to keep [scandal hit] judge Ali Hameed in the Supreme Court bench are quite clear to me. He is also trying to bribe some members of our party's parliamentary group.
- Quoted on Haveeru, "Nasheed accuses Supreme Court of trying to 'rob' council elections", January 14, 2013.
- We will work within the legal ambit to ensure that the transition of power takes place through an election. I believe that the judges at the courts played an active role in the coup. I think [the judges] were under the assumption that our government was planning on dismissing all the judges and was working towards replacing them. In fact, some judges have even told me that they thought that this was our plan. The judges thought that we were trying to take over the judiciary.
- Quoted on Haveeru, "Nasheed warns of another 'possible coup'", February 9, 2014.